Winter storage/mooring in West Ireland

micky57

Visit site
Hello,

I am planning a trip to Ireland this summer and as I don't want to rush around I'm thinking of leaving the boat over winter and picking up on the journey in 2017. Any one done this and recommendations for winter berth/storage would be appreciated

Mike

island163

Visit site
We spent the winter of 2008/9 in Kilrush Marina and really liked it. Cheap flights to Shannon. It's a good base for exploring the West Coast by rental car if it's too wild to go sailing. We paid for a year which at that time was about 1,000 Euros for our 12 metre yacht. Kilrush is a small place but has everything you need, supermarkets, butchers, bakers, pubs etc.

bogman

Visit site
very good place. Used it many times

There are a few good options but you really need to ask yourself if you want the boat lifted out or just left in a safe marina.
Kilrush is ideal, great job done there by new owners, almost 100% tide access, good services and reasonable rates.
Galway is also good but harder to get to from abroad.

Rossbrien is also excellect but not exactly on the west part of the west coast.

bere island/lawernaces cove is good but a real pain to get to.

I think you have a few options and as always it just might depend on where you end up. If you find yourself in Kilrush and end up not getting back to take the boat out of teh water the staff there are excellent and Kim knows boats very well.