Winter in Malta

Richard10002

Visit site
We're on our way to malta at the moment... left lagos last Monday, in Cartegena now, and wending our way via the Balearics, Sardinia, Amalfi Coast, and Scicily.

Lagos was fabulous and we will be hard pressed to beat it, but chose Malta mainly as it is the furthest South in the med, whilst remaining in the EU..... Looks OK and we'll suck it and see.

SWMBO is a bit resistant. She has found 10 people who have been.... 2 liked it, the others wouldnt go back, (but these were shore based holidays).

Hitrapia spent last winter there and seemed to find it OK:

http://www.hitrapia.co.uk/intro.htm#

My sister has already booked her family holiday for February to come and see us, so we're committed to 6 months or so.

It will be interesting to see what others say....

I asked a similar question a few months ago, so a search for malta should find the thread.... some were quite positive, others not so.

Cheers

Richard

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Thanks to all

Richard

We enjoyed Cartagna and will look out for you. Plan to stay in the Balearics until early August. Then pretty much your route.

Moody 38 "Seraphim"

Richard10002

Visit site
We have spent this afternoon/evening in Cartagena and I havent left the marina.... lots of jobs and a bit of work on the next leg to do.....

where are you in the balearics... we arrive Ibiza Tuesday for about 5 /6 days, then I need to get to Minorca where I will spend a couple of weeks alone waiting for crew for the next leg.

We may meet in malta. Small World!

starfire

Visit site
Spent quite some time there, Manoel island gets my vote.

The tub I had a share in is probably still there, have a look for 'Seemoewe'

If you do nothing else, have dinner in the Yacht Club.

the Black Gold on Sliema prom is where the crews do breakfast, lunch & drinks.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Mallorca now, then Menorca for family early August. Islands are beautiful, Mallorca charterers a nightmare. Bring lots of fenders for anchoring, they end up getting up close and personal as they drag through the ancorage at night or drop all their chain directly over your anchor (despite friendly advice) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

See you along the way

charles_reed

Visit site
I've spent the last 2 winters in Malta and will be going back again in November.

Good points:-
1. Easily the cheapest berthing in the Med - for my boat £M305 for 7 months Oct-April. in Msida. That's about £465.
2. Good boatyard facilities - materials slightly more expensive but wage rates about 50% of UK.
3. English spoken (though frequently limited vocabulary and heavily accented).
4. Levels of craftsmanship and ingenuity high.

Bad points:-
1. Desperately overcrowded, continuous traffic jams, appalling road surfaces.
2. Cuisine unimpressive, wine variable and expensive (not compared to Scandinavia)
3. Limited good, fresh produce.

I very much like the Maltese, they're extremely friendly, levels of petty crime are low and, when you get to find your way round the islands, there are lots of delights to be found.

greenscombe

Visit site
Malta sounds good!
Is there a boatyard in Malta equipped with a travel hoist to lift out a 6.5 meter wide catamaran with a view to winter storage?
I have tried Manoel Island but their lift is not wide enough.