Winter Cover and Diesel Stove

laracaine

Visit site
Hi all,
I have a diesel stove with an external chimney and a lovely winter cover. Problem is..... I need to extend the chimney through the cover to use it with the cover on.

Anyone got any ideas where I could find a suitible material to put around the hole to stop the cover melting!

Thanks
GG

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
This is an easy one: Been there, done that thing....

You are approaching the problem from the wrong direction!

Go down to your local central heating suppliers and buy two (3ft) lengths of central heating boiler flue, of the double walled variety.

Insert over diesel stove flue on deck in place of your "summer" stovepipe, and fit flat cap to top. Ideally the top should be in line with the ridge pole of the cover, or a little lower, or you will get too much draft in winter.

The winter cover needs a drawstring round the new stove pipe, which of course will not get hot.

laracaine

Visit site
Re: This is an easy one: Been there, done that thing....

Ah - very sensible and no need for v. expensive bits of marine kit!

Have you done it before? What material was your cover made from? Just still concerned that my 2 grands worth of cover may melt!

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Re: This is an easy one: Been there, done that thing....

Yes, I have.

I was "put onto" this by a friend and fellow live-aboard about 11 winters ago. I no longer live aboard (I married and started breeding!) but he still does and still uses the same method.

My old winter cover was made (by the friend who showed me the way to rig the flue) out of white truck tilt material which I fancy is PVC coated Duradon; the new winter cover is made out of green proofed canvas.

You need to make, or have your cover maker make, a sort of inverted funnel in the cover at the position of the flue, and lash it round the flue. The "funnel" can be comfortably over-size.

The double walled flue pipe does not seem to get warm at all.