Window disaster

pugwash

Visit site
Have just renewed the cracked and splintered perspex in my doghouse windows and what a delight it is - l can actually see out.

Last weekend I wielded the varnish brush and in a perfect drying wind managed to do everything until the rising wind blasted thistledown off the fields. But this was not the disaster.

Just before sunset I went around the boat with window cleaner. They needed a bit more buffing up so I grabbed the J cloth.

This was the cloth i had used while varnishing and it was lightly impregnated with No 1 thinners. Result: murky marks that can't be rubbed off. There is no warning on the tin and I have used thinners in plastic mugs so it never occurred to me that there would be a problem with perspex (not that I thought about it at the time, it was just a handy cloth).

But a problem there is. The starboard side windows are ruined by swirly rub-marks impregnating the surface. Horrible.

Does anybody know a treatment? I wondered if perhaps T-cut or similar might be used or would this make the problem worse? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Have just renewed the cracked and splintered perspex in my doghouse windows and what a delight it is - l can actually see out.

Last weekend I wielded the varnish brush and in a perfect drying wind managed to do everything until the rising wind blasted thistledown off the fields. But this was not the disaster.

Just before sunset I went around the boat with window cleaner. They needed a bit more buffing up so I grabbed the J cloth.

This was the cloth i had used while varnishing and it was lightly impregnated with No 1 thinners. Result: murky marks that can't be rubbed off. There is no warning on the tin and I have used thinners in plastic mugs so it never occurred to me that there would be a problem with perspex (not that I thought about it at the time, it was just a handy cloth).

But a problem there is. The starboard side windows are ruined by swirly rub-marks impregnating the surface. Horrible.

Does anybody know a treatment? I wondered if perhaps T-cut or similar might be used or would this make the problem worse? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
I had a similar problem when using acetone to clean silicone sealant off perspex. Had to use very fine wet and dry and then a rubbing compound to bring it back to as it was. A bit time consuming but not a difficult job.

cliff

Visit site
"wet & dry" to remove the marks and smooth the surface - start with 240 or 320 grit and work up to 1200 grit - clean well between changing grits. Finally, Farcla G3 and a slow speed polisher with foam head and buff to a clear finish.

awol

Visit site
Not for the faint-hearted and should be practised on scrap bits first - application of heat by blow torch or heatgun; a cook's brulé torch is good. Get it right and you can restore the gloss if not the optical clarity - linger too long and you are definitely re-glazing.

snowleopard

Visit site
Various treatments are available but the most straightforward is Acrylic Polish (google it). You'll need a lot of elbow grease but it will eventually do the job.

Others that have been suggested include 1200 wet/dry used wet with coal tar soap. T-cut and International gelcoat polish may also work.

V1701

Visit site
Another one to try is Meguiar's Plast-RX, did a good job on cloudy plastic sprayhood windows for me. Possibly not abrasive enough to use on it's own but for the final stages?

Sandyman

Visit site

Thanks.

What is a ''doghouse'' ??

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
Toothpaste very good, as are some of the other 'polish' suggestions BUT 240 or 320 Grit Wet & Dry is far, far too course! 1200 Grit is the absolute maximum coarse Wet & Dry paper I would try suitably 'chalked'. Better to go 1600 or Crocus Paper and then rub "Oh So Gently" if going down this route!

CROCUS PAPER HERE:

http://www.m-p.co.uk/muk/parts/chap10/0482000115.htm

Always try a very small area on a side window first. ;)

MissIsle

Visit site
The best & most thorough way is to go through the grades with wet n' dry. start at 600 & go down, 800, 1200, 2000, use washing up liquid as a lube for an even finer surface finish. Then T-Cut & finally polish with a fine automotive polish or jewlers rouge. I would work by hand as acrylic melts at arround 65ºC & a polishing mop can reach that.

There is a quicker fix if it's not the main screen. de-grease the screen with soapy water & dry. Then spray it with a clear air drying "ACRYLIC" lacquer. If you are any good with a spraycan it will be clear & see through, & you won't tell the difference unless you get right up to it. But make sure it's acrylic lacquer. You can even get tinted lacquers if you want.

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com

pugwash

Visit site
Thanks for all those neat suggestions. I had no idea it would be so easy. Elsewhere I found a suggestion for Brasso which might work. I'll get busy at the weekend, knees on the deck, bum in the air. Soft softly at first…

cliff

Visit site
Toothpaste very good, as are some of the other 'polish' suggestions BUT 240 or 320 Grit Wet & Dry is far, far too course! 1200 Grit is the absolute maximum coarse Wet & Dry paper I would try suitably 'chalked'. Better to go 1600 or Crocus Paper and then rub "Oh So Gently" if going down this route!
I recommended starting with 240/320 grit to remove any surface irrugularities quickly then finer and finer poliching with finer grits up to 1200 grit - no need to go any finer - final polishing with a suitable polishing compound. Having done a number of "perspex" windows which were either solvent damaged or just scored the 240/320 grit made the initial resurfacing so much easier and quicker.