Wind for those day times at anchor

Visit site
Hi All,

I would like to have more days at anchor on our Motor Cruiser, dropping it at the various bays and beaches found in the solent, however this year it would be great to do this without the wind induced fairground ride effect that results from not quite understanding which wind situation is best.

Does anyone have any advice on this, for instance which wind situation would be good for Priory Bay etc.

I realise the almanac advises on want is safe and survivable, but I would welcome any advice on what is comfortable. I can't quite understand which wind is most comfortable to deal with and why, although I completely understand which direction is dangerous or difficult.

thanks!

J

Greg2

Visit site
Can't offer specific advice about the locations but in general it is likely to be a combination of wind, tide and weather conditions for the day or two preceding the day you want to anchor that will determine whether it is comfortable or not. A change in tide can bring about remarkable changes in sea conditions in a very short time period.

Whitelighter

Visit site
As a basic rule of thumb when the wind is coming from the direction of the predominant land mass then a close in anchoring position should be fairly well protected.

For bats on the north side of the island a southerly or South easterly wind is best, followed by a northerly wind at that end as the main land is close enough to offer protection. I would avoid anything with a westerly component for Alum bay and those close to the needles

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
I do a lot of anchoring and can vouch for the fact that unless it is flat calm, there will always be an element of roly poly. Most fast hulls behave poorly at anchor. The Solent is particularly poor becuase of the variations in tidal currents, reflected and refracted waves and vast amounts of wash on busy days. In general, tidal currents running in the same direction as the wind will give a smoother ride, wind against tide will create a chop. Additionally, the boat may ride bows to the wind or bows to the tidal current depending on the relative strength of each and effect on exposed surfaces. The worst scenario is where the wind is blowing at an angle to the tide and the boat will corkscrew at anchor. Over time you will get to know which conditions are bearable for your particular boat.