Wind feathers - the sequel

shmoo

Visit site
Following my successful education about wind feathers (for which, thank you), can I push this a bit further. Can anyone throw light on the the meaning of the symbols around the wind feather on the picture (its from DWD weatherfax off HF). A web link to a key would be good, but there isn't one on the DWD web site. To orient youself: it shows East Angila on the left and Netherlands, Belgium and a bit of France on the right.

wxWithBoxes.jpg

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
I'm a bit rusty on this stuff, and never really used it anyway, but I seem to recall:
The two lines indicate light fog. There are a whole series of these symbols for other conditions.
189 is 1018.9 mb reduced to sea level.
0.9 is the change in pressure in the past 3 hours.
12 is temperature.
59 is rainfall in mm in 6 hours.
I think 9 is dewpoint.

Depending on the type of chart there is more or less information shown and it follows a specific pattern around the wind arrow. There is probably a site explaining this but I don't know of a link.

I'm sure a more informed forumite will be along to point you in the right direction.

shmoo

Visit site
Thanks folks.
Chalk up another credit for the Forum University.

I found some links that gave symbols like the T with a flash for lightening and dots and commas but what really puzzled me were the numbers ranged round the station. I tried "backing them out" by finding the observations at the station at the time but that didn't help. I can see why now - multilpying the pressure by 10 and subtracting 10000 is a bit cryptic!