Winch service grease and or oil

wonkywinch

Visit site
I see the usual chandlers charge a fortune for "winch grease" whereas a car parts place, like Opie Oils sells 400g of the stuff for a tenner.

Any issues with using Castrol Spheerol SX 2 Calcium Complex Grease as this seems similar to the Lewmar product (ie calcium based water resistance) as it's 1/8th of the price and 400g will last a lifetime.

Castrol Spheerol SX 2 Calcium Extreme Pressure Grease 400g Cartridge

ghostlymoron2

Visit site
I agreee - grease in gears and oil on pawls. Maybe I’m a sucker but I’ve always used Lemar or Harken products which are expensive but as you only use a tiny bit last for years and years and years. Only problem is remembering where you’ve put them.
I use Morris Oils grease. General purpose water resistant grease. I use the same for any greasing. You just need the smallest amount on the cogs, none at all on the pawls just the merest trace of 3 in 1.

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I believe Anderson is the only mater that recommends grease on the pawls, but Anderson grease is also thinner than the others.

Oil does not last, so you need to follow the service directions. I think worn pawl sockets is probably the leaving cause of winch death.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Many, many years ago we had a demo and Q&A session with a Lewmar engineer. One of the questions was regarding the high price of their grease. His explanation was that it was an ultra high pressure grease that they could only source from Germany. Because of the (relatively) small quantities the price was extortionate.
Science or sales patter... Not sure.

thinwater

Another thought. 3:1 oil is common, and winch manufactures sell light oil, but I've been using Mobil 1 0W-20 and been very pleased. It is a better lubricant, clings longer, resists corrosion better, and is still quite thin. Any modern light motor oil should do. In my case, it is what I run in 4-stroke outboards, so I have it on the boat. You probably have something similar on board.

mikegunn

Visit site
In my experience overgreasing of winches can lead to problems such as sticking pawls and wear of needle rollers. Contamination captured by excessive quantities of grease will also serve as an effective grinding paste. The only surfaces that will benefit from lubrication are those that slide against each other, such as the pawls and any plan bearing surfaces of the planet gears. The gear teeth and roller or needle bearings do not need lubrication as their interfaces roll against each other. Indeed, lubrication of needle/roller bearings can induce adjacent components to slide against each other. This in turn can allow flats to form, inhibiting the essential rolling action. Winch manufacturers will have amassed a wealth of experience of the needs of their products and in my opinion it is usually wise to follow their recommendations. The costs of any lubricant they may advise will be minuscule when compared to the value of the winch.

Mike

thinwater

In my experience overgreasing of winches can lead to problems such as sticking pawls and wear of needle rollers. Contamination captured by excessive quantities of grease will also serve as an effective grinding paste. The only surfaces that will benefit from lubrication are those that slide against each other, such as the pawls and any plan bearing surfaces of the planet gears. The gear teeth and roller or needle bearings do not need lubrication as their interfaces roll against each other. Indeed, lubrication of needle/roller bearings can induce adjacent components to slide against each other. This in turn can allow flats to form, inhibiting the essential rolling action. Winch manufacturers will have amassed a wealth of experience of the needs of their products and in my opinion it is usually wise to follow their recommendations. The costs of any lubricant they may advise will be minuscule when compared to the value of the winch.

Mike
Good point about skidding. Counterintuitive, since trailer wheel bearings, for example, are packed full. But in that case, the primary reason is water exclusion. Machine bearings are not packed so full. Obviously, you are not going to pack a winch full!

The grease-on-the-pawls concern with over greasing suggests one bit of clarification. This is not a big problem on single-speed winches, with the pawls on top, but it is an issue with 2-speed winches, with them down below. Finally, cleaning the lower end of some winches is a bugger if you use too much grease and don't want to take them off the boat, which is often a bugger.
classic Harken 2-speed service--see about 1:20

Also notice that at about 2:00 they cheat. They show parts out that can only be removed if you demount the winch ... but they don't say that. They do show dripping the oil in, which is what I do. Yup, there are a few parts that have never been cleaned because demounting the winch is too difficult (really ugly 2 person job, with one crammed in a too-small locker--forget that noise). Not to much, it will run out the bottom.

In fact, this is also a problem with plastic balls in travelers etc. Dry lube, such as Teflon and PTFE is a mistake. A few drops of oil is what is recommended.

Last edited: