Will the used boat market become flooded?

lancelot

Visit site
I am not sure if the used boat market will become flooded. You should see it around here, we are up to our ankles in it.
Blue skies and fairwinds,
Lancelot.

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
The smart money keeps the boat as a "arc" in case the damn rain NEVER stops.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Actually that was questioning - and jokily I hope misinterpreting - something said earlier.

Races aren't being cancelled because of rain, - though it doesn't encourage a next time - but because of the high winds we've had so far this year.

Exactly. Some of the heavier boats could cope with the wind, but there is also a problem of getting the Race Committee safely into position and back again afterwards. SW6 against an ebb tide can make the western Solent a unpleasant place to be.

BarryH

Visit site
People mention the costs per day when the weather is bad. Surely that one must be to go in with eyes wide open and realise that some costs are dead money. Just as keeping a second car or motorcycle for occasional use, the tax and insurance are fixed costs no matter how many times you use it.
I started with a budget of bugger all and had a look at what I could afford. Hence I purchased a 30 y/o boat put it on a cheap swinging mooring. This first year of ownership has cost less than buying and tax/insuring my van I use for work.

Even if the weather is pants theres always something people could do. When it blows up a bit I just bimble about under a reefed jenny and potter around locally. Ok so no epic expedition to the IOW granted, but I still get away and use the thing and most importantly of all kick back and relax.

The VFM factor must come from ones mindset, not a spread sheet in an "app" on a smart phone. It begs the question "why do you choose to own a boat?"

Lakesailor

Visit site
Up in the lakes there has been as much windless frustration as there has been with too much wind.
When it's too strong it is very gusty and the peak gusts make sailing unpleasant.
There hasn't been much nice fresh, bright sailing weather at all.
Worst summer in the 10 years we have been here.

Yesterday was OK (I know the batten is coming out)

Sailing01.jpg

Capt_Fat_Sam

Visit site
People mention the costs per day when the weather is bad. Surely that one must be to go in with eyes wide open and realise that some costs are dead money. Just as keeping a second car or motorcycle for occasional use, the tax and insurance are fixed costs no matter how many times you use it.
I started with a budget of bugger all and had a look at what I could afford. Hence I purchased a 30 y/o boat put it on a cheap swinging mooring. This first year of ownership has cost less than buying and tax/insuring my van I use for work.

Even if the weather is pants theres always something people could do. When it blows up a bit I just bimble about under a reefed jenny and potter around locally. Ok so no epic expedition to the IOW granted, but I still get away and use the thing and most importantly of all kick back and relax.

The VFM factor must come from ones mindset, not a spread sheet in an "app" on a smart phone. It begs the question "why do you choose to own a boat?"

I agree with this post. I am 29 yrs old (I know young right) and all I have wanted to do since sailing as a child is own my own boat. I have been slightly enjoying my time in dinghy sailing but its not my cup of tea. I want a 30' yacht (as i'm 6'7") and go where the hell I like.

Now I have finally got a career and at a time where I think I have a bit of money to put towards this. If it costs me x amount a year, I dont care. I just want to go down to MY boat on a friday evening, tinker around with it. Sail it down the Orwell as far as my skill can take me and be back at the desk on a Monday. I'm sure there are many many experienced sailors who will tell me, well you can't do this or tha. But hey, i'm going to do it and enjoy it at the same time. My best memories of sailing were in the worst conditions, so here's to my new adventure shall it cause me untold financial worries and sleepless nights!

Andrew

BAtoo

Visit site
I am afraid I have to admit that I am entirely to blame for the wet weather!

No it's not your fault - its ours !!

Partner bought a Mazda MX5 for the summer - she's not had the top down yet!!! :(:(

And we decided to holiday on the boat - that was a washout :( :(

But the weather will be fine in early September as we are almost certainly going abroad.......:D :D

wazza

Visit site
I agree with this post. I am 29 yrs old (I know young right) and all I have wanted to do since sailing as a child is own my own boat. I have been slightly enjoying my time in dinghy sailing but its not my cup of tea. I want a 30' yacht (as i'm 6'7") and go where the hell I like.

Now I have finally got a career and at a time where I think I have a bit of money to put towards this. If it costs me x amount a year, I dont care. I just want to go down to MY boat on a friday evening, tinker around with it. Sail it down the Orwell as far as my skill can take me and be back at the desk on a Monday. I'm sure there are many many experienced sailors who will tell me, well you can't do this or tha. But hey, i'm going to do it and enjoy it at the same time. My best memories of sailing were in the worst conditions, so here's to my new adventure shall it cause me untold financial worries and sleepless nights!

Andrew

Good on you matey!!!!
I'm telling you and everyone else this, if I didn't have my boat I wouldn't have my sanity.... even when she's tucked up under a cover she helps me through the loooooooooong cold winters.. like anything in life, you make your choices..!!
My choice... to always have a boat and NOT count it in monertary terms!!!!!!!!!

Yacht Yogi

Visit site
Plenty of young people coming into sailing still

I don't agree that sailing overall has a problem. I see plenty of students and younger people both men and women getting out onto the water. Local dinghy clubs and Solent yacht racing have never looked healthier. Take a visit to Port Hamble on a Sunday morning when a Winter or Spring series race fleet is going out and it surely looks like a big, exciting event with more competitors than you would see at any weekend football ground.

It's UK waters cruising that is stagnating not sailing as a whole. Many reasons for this including cost but maybe mainly available leisure time. People earning enough to own a yacht don't have lots of free time so are restricted to day-sailing or weekending. To stop day-sailing from becoming boring you go racing; sharpens the sailing skills too. When the two week holiday comes around you go for a charter in warmer waters.

On this theory its the sportsboat fleets that are growing; SB20, J80, J97 and the smaller IRC boats. There has been some of the best sailing conditions during the autumn, winter and spring races so to develop the trend logically we could expect young professionals to buy a J80 for non-summer use and switch the winter lift-out to the summer. The season would run from October through to Cowes Week. In the "summer" bit, in between goes the family cruise in the Med.:)

Sailfree

Visit site
Dinghy sailing is in decline and they are often the embryonic big boat owners.

I agree with the previous post that student debt & trying to get on the housing ladder in future years will reduce boat ownership. Weather is just the final straw!

Just had 1 month in Brittany, 2 days of sunshine and 2 days of sunny periods, cloudy but no rain. Rest !!

SWMBO has serious reservations about trying it again next year and is suggesting a flotilla somewhere warm!

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
I started skippering a cruiser when 16, and though I've done a fair bit of dinghy racing and a little cruiser racing, I am in it for cruising, as Andrew said 'to go where the hell I want to go'...

My chum who's thinking of giving up has a lot of other pressures like children growing unreasonably tall for his boat, and starting a new business; when the boat was damaged by her mooring ( not his fault, in fact he did brilliantly to spot a tiny increase in bilge water, stop and check or it could have led to sinking in deep water with family aboard ) so with all this and bad weather on top I can understand his being depressed / hassled.

Me, I love my boat far too much to ever consider giving up, I learned to grin and hand over cheques - and never, ever, add up the totals ! - years ago...

It's the lack of similar 15-16 yr old yobbos like we were which worries me, crewing on a racing boat is OK if one's into that sort of thing, but it's not the same as hankering for ones' own pride & joy and taking her over the horizon...

Seajet

Visit site
if I didn't have my boat I wouldn't have my sanity.... even when she's tucked up under a cover she helps me through the loooooooooong cold winters..

Please excuse me if you've seen this before, but it seems relevant, certainly sums up how I feel and I think Wazza

A sailor takes an accountant chum for a trip.

The accountant says, " so, you pay X £ thousands for a boat you can only use at best 2 days a week "

" No, I use her 7 days a week "

" How so ? "

" 2 days a week I sail her, the rest of the time I dream of her "

BAtoo, as it's your fault re the weather and will improve when you go abroad, if we have a whip-round could you go sooner please ?!

Last edited:

lancelot

Visit site
Like most folk who have to work and scrimp and save to keep the other love of our life going. I have not been able to get out once this year - commitments and slender window of opportunity. However, sleeping on board on the Saturday night and potching during Sunday saves our sanity. There is nothing like the sound of gulls crying, lapping of water around the hull and the gentle rocking to sleep - it is our escape for a weekend.
When we can get out it will be worth every penny - I might even have a party to celebrate.
In fact if it came to it I think the house would go before the boat.
Fair winds,
Lancelot

pelmetman

Visit site
I've missed not having a boat, I found just titivating was as enjoyable as sailing sometimes:cool:

Trailer sailers seem to be selling well though, maybe that's a sign of the times;)...........I seem to have started at the expensive end of boating and worked my way down, from a Royal 34 via a Pegasus 800 to hopefully a trailer sailer for about 2k:D......

onesea

Visit site
Will the market get saturated with used boats?

I wonder if the answer will be yes, of the larger variety 40foot plus. Boats that need to have low friction high end gear working correctly.

In the same manner high end cars, range rovers Merc's etc devalue it becomes cheaper to run a newer one than to maintain an older I one.

Smaller boats are more resistant the engine and mast are biggest costs...

How much does it cost to run a 35 foot boat? If you do not have full family commitment? Heaters water heaters pumps electronics life rafts flares radios life jackets sails rigging engine all done by the book?

Marina prices are not half the problem. ...

Sailing larger boats is for the well off , which can never be everyone..... .

Although I do believe the rest of us can sail but its camping afloat not luxury.

wazza

Visit site
In fact if it came to it I think the house would go before the boat.
Fair winds,
Lancelot

I am so with you here Lancelot, the house way before the boa, after all a house can't take you to far off places... even IF we don't go there in reality..

TamarMike

Visit site
Hands up here! I may well have to put my boat on the market at the end of this year. Not because of the weather or lack of use but simple arithmetic i.e. falling pay and cost of everything going up means money running out!