Will a built in GPS for DSC work in cabin?

Catamaran

Visit site
Morning all,

Thinking of fitting an Icom M423g VHF with the built in gps for the DSC.

Question is, will it work through a standard fibreglass cabin roof/bulkhead?

My iPad and other modern gps equipment work in the cabin, but Icom fitting instructions suggest it should be fitted in a window or open air...

We want a built in gps to minimise the chance of breakage or cockup if DSC is ever required?

johnalison

Visit site
I don't know about the Icom, but my Raymarine e7 works from in the cabin of my 34. I think much modern equipment is more sensitive than in the past.

Alpha22

Visit site
It will probably be OK. But consider if the deck is awash it may have issues..... The signals go through GRP no problem, but an inch of water will kill them dead.

Giblets

Visit site
We have a Garmin plotter with inbuilt aerial at the chart table which supplies the VHF with the position feed and that set-up works OK. Can take a bit of time to lock on on start-up but no probs otherwise.

Catamaran

Visit site
It will probably be OK. But consider if the deck is awash it may have issues..... The signals go through GRP no problem, but an inch of water will kill them dead.

Good point... It'll be fitted under the cabin roof, which is sloping, so it'll never be awash for more than a second at a time.