wild life in Scotland this year

Spyro

Visit site
There was a very unusual algae bloom affecting all of the Clyde and Lochfyne. The water was a reddish brown colour for weeks. I wonder if that had anything to do with reduced sittings. I was out today and in 7 or 8m of water just of Horse Island at Ardrossan I could see the bottom so it's back to normal now I would concur with others, there's definitely less about this year.

pagoda

Visit site
There was a very unusual algae bloom affecting all of the Clyde and Lochfyne. The water was a reddish brown colour for weeks. I wonder if that had anything to do with reduced sittings. I was out today and in 7 or 8m of water just of Horse Island at Ardrossan I could see the bottom so it's back to normal now I would concur with others, there's definitely less about this year.

Fewer mammals about ,plenty of gannets and guillemots I reckon?
Haven't met any basking sharks on the clyde so far??

biscuit

Visit site
Had 3 separate sightings of Sunfish last week, one in the Sound of Mull.
I had only seen one in the previous 20 years sailing on the West coast.
Also several pods of Dolphins, two with at least 60 individuals.
I have the impression that there seem to be more Porpoises and Gannets every year, but less Puffins.
We haven't seen a Basking Shark or Minke Whale at all this year

dunedin

Visit site
It's all very subjective, but we have not noticed seeing any less this year
Masses of Eagles, puffins, otters, seals, porpoises and every other sort of birds.
Basking sharks very much depend on timing and location - saw none early season but twice in August, near Gunna and Muck
Dolphins around Skye etc

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
It's all very subjective, but we have not noticed seeing any less this year
Masses of Eagles, puffins, otters, seals, porpoises and every other sort of birds.
Basking sharks very much depend on timing and location - saw none early season but twice in August, near Gunna and Muck
Dolphins around Skye etc

I am planning to spend the autumn around Jura and Islay to film the geese - they have started turning up al;ready
I have seen lots of variety.... but very low numbers..... not as many shoals of sand eel type fish in and around the shore

Old Troll

Visit site
We have a mooring in the Kyles Of Bute and this year have noticed the lack of jellyfish. No scouders or the blue ones to be seen. Normally at this time of year they are in abundance in these sheltered waters. The sea water is brown with algae or Rainwater from the burns.

Kelpie

Visit site
I've noticed different jellyfish to previous years- lots of little white puffy ones, hardly any moons. Lions manes seem about the same as usual.

Humblebee

Visit site
Had 3 separate sightings of Sunfish last week, one in the Sound of Mull.
I had only seen one in the previous 20 years sailing on the West coast.
Also several pods of Dolphins, two with at least 60 individuals.
I have the impression that there seem to be more Porpoises and Gannets every year, but less Puffins.
We haven't seen a Basking Shark or Minke Whale at all this year

My experience echoes yours, Biscuit. One Sunfish off Loch Torridon last week, plenty grey seals and dolphins (species uncertain), lots of gannets and guillemots, not a single basking shark or puffin all year (so far).
Sea eagles in the Sound of Raasay being fed by tourists from boats!