WI Pilots

ThreeFishes

Visit site
We're planning our first Atlantic crossing this winter and intend to spend time in the West Indies, but not sure where yet. What general pilot books of West Indies are recommended to help us make the decision?

MADFISH

Visit site
Check out the Sailors Guide to the Windward Isles by Chris Doyle. It is essential and all you need to navigate exept the folio of charts for the area.

It gives you info on pilotage as well as local facilities right down to the good bars to have sundowners!

Go to www.kelvinhughes.co.uk and search the on line bookstore.

Russell

snowleopard

Visit site
doyle is good but he spends a lot of time telling you who owns each shop which you can really do without. i suppose it helps him get advertising revenue.

his other book is 'cruising guide to the leeward islands which makes up the pair. there is also a set of chart folios which are supposed to complement the books.
if you get the doyle books, make sure they don't get wet as the paper sticks into a solid mass!

donald street's pilots are (i'm told) better on navigation with less about the shore facilities.

kgi

Visit site
Doyles books are used by the charter companies in the windies, mainly i suspect because all the anchorages are safe in the wind directions described in the books some of the other pilots describe anchorages that IMO are distinctly iffy, make sure you padlock your dink to the boat at night, and just have a good time.......keith

Trevethan

Visit site
I wouldn''t trust a pilot from the Women's Institute. Yes they are great for jam making and cake competitions, and even do a good job at heckling the odd politician, But I'd never trust one of the dotty old dears with me boat... *heehee*

Apologies to any WI members, or husbands thereof

She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like the sound a dog makes just before it throws up