why knot !

philhants

Visit site
After a week living on our 21' motor vessel (hols) around the IOW me and the other half have decided to purchase a sailing cruiser/yacht. She would sell everything we've got and sail the seven seas tomorrow - but realistically (??) looking at spending 5k on a boat next year and probably cross the channel to get me baccy and a couple of decent garlic eventually. We need space,comfort, inboard diesel with easy/ single handling. Boat will probably sit on mud for 2/3 of day when not in use so bilge keel is appropriate. I will be doing rya coastal this year but sailing experience is minimal and we ain't no spring chickens! Any more advice than we've already read on here would be appreciated. - Great site

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
Erm, yes well as your SWMBO has commanded you to do,,,, "Sell everything" buy yourself a nice Hallberg(sp?) Rassey 45footer or something and sail off into the distance. Nice idea!!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

If you can sell "something" and stretch yourself a Konsort/centaur or Griffion all made by Westerly would be what you are looking at probably. I think you can get a Centaur for about £18000, So you would need to sell something, do you need two cars? I couldn't realistically see you getting what you want for £5000 and you will allways buy a bigger boat than you first looked at, so why not just go straight to the top.

And all that has come from the Mouth of a MoBo'er!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

L' Moose

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
You won't purchase a great deal of space and comfort for 5k but there are good boats around for that kind of money. Three such that have very good reputations for seagoing, all have done many transatlantics, are Folkboat, Hurley 22, Corribee. Try searching these forums on those three, similar questions have come up many times before.

<hr width=100% size=1>

charles_reed

Visit site
I'd agree with the other 2 posters - £5K will buy you a camping cruiser, no standing headroom, "exciting" rather than quick sailing and a distinct lack of creature comforts.
If you're of advancing years the delights might not outweigh the discomforts unless you're a very keen sailor.

I'd not disagree with the suggested boats, but you're unlikely to find anything to offer any creature comforts on less than 29' oa.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
Not easy to get anything reasonable for 5k - possible but would need some work to bring up to scratch. A westerly Pageant 23' bilge keel at about 8-10k or a centaur, 26' bilge keel from about 10k upwards. Or a Jaguar 25 bilge keel from about 7k upwards. All the above have standing headroom, Westerlies have inboard engines, the J25 you can get both outboard(cheaper) and inboard engines.
Go round the local Second Hand boat shows in the autumn (do they have them in the Solent?) and you will get a better idea of what is available. The East Coast Boat show at Suffolk Yacht Harbour is always a good one with lots of boats to look at, all in the Marina, and it's over a weekend. Not sure of the dates(end of Sept/Oct?) but it'll be in the boating mags.
If you are competent DIY, you will can pick up bargains if you look around and are prepared to wait. I picked up a Halcyon 23 for 2k several years ago and sold for just under 4k three years later. Also look on ebay auction site and around boat yards for dilapidated boats.

Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

AndrewB

Visit site
Previous answer ...

There was a thread about 2 months ago started by someone with a very similar spec. Worth checking out, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=pbo&Number=369500>here</A>.

I believe she ended up buying a Kingfisher 20+.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kilkerr1

homepage.ntlworld.com
Re: Previous answer ...

I did indeed! And very much in love with her we are too. Bilge keel (ever so happy nestled in the mud), 2-cabin layout and 'proper' loo in only 22-feet, easy for single-handing, etc. Have a look at the Kingfisher Yacht Owners Association website at www.kyoa.co.uk for tech specs and photos. Having said that, I agree with all said above, namely that you may be wanting a bit more comfort than 5000K worth of Kingfisher can offer, realistically; if you're wanting standing headroom (major comfort issue) that budget won't get you far I don't think. So. Sell cars, electrical appliances, pets and kids. It'll be worth it.

Let us know how you get on and happy hunting!

<hr width=100% size=1>

dulcibella

blog.mailasail.com
There are lots of Solent area second-hand boat shows at the time of the Southampton Show (13-21 Sept). Moody's and Deacons (both close to Bursledon Bridge) are certainly worth looking at.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
You could try a Virgo Voyager, not a performance boat, but a good cruiser. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/k581002a/k581002.htm> Yachtsnet. </A> You may have to up your sights by a grand or two.

k581002-similar-sailing.jpg

<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif

Stemar

Visit site
I got a Snapdragon 24 for change from £5K. A comfy little boat for two with separate heads. She claims 5 berths, but 4-up for a weekend would be a realistic maximum.

She has standing headroom for my wife, not quite for me. Encapsualated bilge keels, so they won't rust or drop off. Mine sails great off the wind but she's not the best boat to windward - those vertical keels don't help, so you need a decent engine.

At that price you should get something solid, but probably in need of a bit of TLC.

Good hunting!

<hr width=100% size=1>

wooslehunter

Visit site
Sounds as if you're in a similar position to me a year ago.

After years of dinghy sailing & playing in power boats (generally someonme elses) I persuaded SWMBO we should buy a yacht.

Your spec seems similar to mine as well. I was initially looking at around 6-7k. BUT, since we wanted a bit of room we ended up almost doubling the budget.

You can get a Pagent for around 6k but it'll be old and quite probably need some work doing. Someone will prove me wrong but there are always bargains if you can find them.

How about a Hurley 24/70. There are few nice ones around at 6-7k. Bilge keelers are rarer though.

I also looked at Jaguar 25s - had one surveyed but rejected it as too much was wrong. MK2 gives more headroom and has a re-designed rig.

Colvic 26 is an option. It's similar to a Centaur. Most are home finished and some are really good, some no though. They cost less than a Centaur and have no keel problems. Down side is there are far fewer around.

I ended up with a Centaur - old, moderately good nick & sound. Even the age meens there's still an endless list of jobs to do. Nice thing about Centaurs is that there are loads about. Anything less than 10k will require work and may be a complete dog. I also saw boats full of mould & osmosis at 13k.

Look around as much as you can. Be prepared for osmosis or at least high moisture in older boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Two_Hapence

Visit site
Hi,

Why not consider a cat?

There are a lot of them about and they seem to be excellent value. OK, so you might not get standing headroom in the saloon (or even a saloon) but consider the advantages.

Sailing on the level. So much more comfortable
Minimal draft allows you into remote spots long and shallow anchorages. Tidal window for many ports is much wider when you only draw 15 inches.
Small easy to handle sails (My 32 footer has 35 sq mtrs of sail area)
amazing amount of deck space and accommodation for the length.
light weight and usually respectably quick.
small outboard is plenty of power

and so on......

There are disadvantages as well so you need to have a trial sail in a cat or even a tri!

If you are in the Solent area why not go to the cat brokers in Emsworth and see for yourself or try www.multihullworld.com

Regards

Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>