Why is there so much misery in the South of England

Mandarin331

Visit site
This summer we managed to find our new boat in Poole Harbour. The couple we bought her from were very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. This was our first experience of sailing life on the South Coast and now realise why we never want to go back there. The club where the boat was moored must have had the most miserable people alive. We wanted to keep the boat there for a few weeks but this wasn't allowed even when the old owners let us have their swinging mooring. We would have had to use the club launch and this was just not acceptable as were wern't members. Even keeping the car in the car park was frowned apon. So if anybody ever wants help from the Parkestone yacht club think again as they'd sooner watch you sink than help.

So we left Poole harbour at the earlist opportunity feeling it was better to pay marina fees at Southsea than suffer the free of charge hospitality in Poole harbour. Southsea was a total contrast even if they did charge an arm and a leg for a berth. But unlike the East Coast not one person said hello or waved as we sailed past, has the art of being pleasant and friendly gone astray in the midst of high fees and bad manners.

It was so refreshing to sail back into home waters to happy sailors and free over night moorings. Everyone seemed to be happy and helpful. This is exactly the reason why we will never venture back to the South Coast.

Thank you all you East Coast sailors for making this such a wonderful place to sail.

Happy sailing

Neil & Alison

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
I stopped at the marina in Southsea when I went round to the Solent in 2005 and found the staff there very helpful. Didn't go west of the Solent but agree they are not overly friendly there!

Should be going back in 2010 for a 75th Anniversary Rally and will be spending about 6 weeks on the South Coast so have already started saving for the marina fees! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mandarin331

Visit site
Yes we're at the Ferry, we had a moorning there years ago, stopped sialing for a few years and now its great to be back.

Our boat is called Shamal (you can tell how much thought went into our log in name), she's a Sabre 27 and we're very happy with her.

We had a matilda 20 until a few weeks ago and this had been kept at the ferry. This was the boat we introduced the kids to but they grew too quickly, which is why we changed.

We would be very interested in meeting up, is there a list of dates or is it a spur of the moment thing.

Neil & Alison

Mandarin331

Visit site
Sorry that's the day we have a birthday party and won't be able to make it to Shotley. We can't upset a 9 year old. We actually live in Cambridgeshire until the kids have finished college (they haven't actually started yet, next year.) when we intend to move back to Suffolk. Have a great time and let us know when the next meet is.

Eventide26

Visit site
Being an Ex south coast sailor, It saddens me to hear this, and can only apologise for the ignorance of those who have lost what it means to sail and be part of the sea and the common bond between yachting folk.
I have to admit Poole is lovely place to stay if you swing off of your own anchor, but the clubs there do always seem to be the G&T and Gucci shoes brigade.

The East Coast is sounding more and more welcoming the more I research a club to call home.

MikeBz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So if anybody ever wants help from the Parkestone yacht club think again as they'd sooner watch you sink than help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their attitude to visitors attending dinghy racing events (hosted by the club) is even worse. At a meeting this year visitors weren't allowed to eat their sandwiches in the club - they had to sit outside in the rain. The yachtie side of the club regarded & treated them as a complete nuisance even though the club was hosting the event.

Mike

Cobra

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if anybody ever wants help from the Parkestone yacht club think again as they'd sooner watch you sink than help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their attitude to visitors attending dinghy racing events (hosted by the club) is even worse. At a meeting this year visitors weren't allowed to eat their sandwiches in the club - they had to sit outside in the rain. The yachtie side of the club regarded & treated them as a complete nuisance even though the club was hosting the event.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness though Mike, I am pretty certain that both you and I have been on the receiving end of similar treatment whilst attending a certain large annual event at a certain Yacht Club on an island you can see from your house!!

tangomoon

Visit site
There's one like that in North Devon and it's not Ilfracombe, who are a friendly crowd. Your area is to be envied

BOL