Why is it that people think boat owners are rich?

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Nostro

You must leave Europe and head for the Caribbean and USA.

Your costs will plummet and your enjoyment factor will rise hugely .

You will be in a dollar economy so your money will go further and in the Caribbean you can anchor for free all season.

Cruising in Europe is far more costly.

Wansworth

Visit site
When I met my wife, we both had a dream to sail around the world (we've both been sailing since we were kids) and so we hitched our wagons together and started working towards making it a reality.

Fueling that dream is one of the reasons I hang out on forums such as this.

Like many, we thought that the smart thing to do was invest in assets that would generate an income for when we eventually set off.

What we eventually ended up with is a bunch of millstones around our necks that have taken so much blood sweat and tears to acquire, that we are loathe to dispose of them and cast off (and that includes the bloody boat)!

We are the lesson in "How Not To Do It".

I am coming to believe it is fear of the unknown that binds us to this grindstone and have a sneaking suspicion that there are many like me, that dream of a life aboard, but eventually give up on it and settle for a life more ordinary.

Still hoping to move aboard one day though.

PT.

Once you start accumalating the trappings of the normal life ashore its doubley difficult to throw them aside.A young person can set off with the bare minimum with a good chance of improving their prospects whilst older people will fret about insurance,illness etc.If you have a burning desire to liveaboard go for it butif its not burning dont get too worked up and enjoy what you do and plan a lesss trumatic escape.

chinita

Visit site
Have you considered that you may have got your equations wrong?

Ball park figures seem to be that you should spend less than one half of your 'pot' on the boat and, having done that, set aside 10% of the boat's value for annual maintenance (maintenance, not berthing).

The 'pot' to which I am referring, is your lump sum disposable cash and excludes pension and any other income.

I made a big mistake once by buying a much bigger, and more expensive, boat than we needed. After the initial honeymoon I had sleepless nights worrying how to deal with the inevitable huge increase in maintenance costs.

The old adage that you should not buy the biggest boat you can afford but the smallest you can live on holds well for me.

You will disagree on the grounds of needing size to cater for your family, in which case perhaps you needed a bigger 'pot' in the first place?

Jonic is right when he talks about heading South and West. However, IMO, this needs very careful agreement of all concerned. Easyjet does not fly to Antigua.

GrahamM376

Visit site
One of the questions that we are most asked is “How much does it cost a year”

My usual answer is with a question - How much do you spend on family holidays each year? My reply then is usually (not being a marina dweller) It costs me for 9-10 months less than you spend on a 3 week family holiday and my maintenance costs are maybe less than your car costs.

We have kept a home base but downsized to a 2 bed bungalow, which we visit a couple of times a year and it keeps us in the UK system. Have two 12 year old cars, one here and one there.

It's everyone's choice - either keep the oversized house + poser car + expensive entertainment or, have the sense to get rid of what you actually don't need and do what you really want to do before it's too late.

jonic

www.jryachts.com
One of the questions that we are most asked is “How much does it cost a year”

In the end we used to say to non sailors we don't know because we are fabulously wealthy.

They never seemed to believe us we when we tried to tell them it was costing 60-70% less to live on the boat.

Often they would get very cross and tell us that we weren't living in "the real word" and our life was a "very artificial one."

Yeah right....go back to your x-factor and weekly lottery ticket. :cool:

rickym

yachtgalene.blogspot.co.uk
I have just read this thread with interest. There are now 15 weeks before we join the 'real world'! The list of jobs to do on the boat seems to get longer as we think of other things we need to do. The list of stuff to keep or store or junk is constantly changing, we worry about money and some untried kit, fundamentally the boat is fine, we are ready, SWMBO is ready, work cannot understand why I am doing it, life is not a dress rehersal, we will be 'poor' but doing what we want with our lives, that is what matters (to us).

Hamma

Visit site
... work cannot understand why I am doing it, ...

I've had that. Most people say they wish they could do it (but they don't really want to) but work were bewildered:

"Why would you want to do that then?"

I stopped short of saying:

"Well for one thing I won't have to work for you c***s anymore."

Old age, or prudence got the better of me. In many ways I wish it hadn't!

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Those are about right...

...costing 60-70% less to live on the boat...

We're probably at about that

...it is fear of the unknown that binds us to this grindstone...

In real terms we've not sailed very far, but many years ago we trundled a motorbike to Australia and I've advised ever since: Once the wheels turn and you leave the driveway, you're about halfway there and after taking the channel ferry/tunnel and driving 250 miles across France, you'll have reached a place from where it's easier to fix any problem that arises where you are, rather than return home and do it; at that point you're on the home straight. Whilst I've yet to test my theory on the boat, I'm optimistic that having crossed Biscay I'm at the halfway mark and if/when we reach the Canaries, we'll be on the home straight.

...we eventually ended up with is a bunch of millstones around our necks that have taken so much blood sweat and tears to acquire, that we are loathe to dispose of them...

Whilst I think Kris Kristofferson's premis that "Freedom's just another word for, nothing left to lose" is perhaps a bit strong, I do believe that freedom equates largely to having nothing much which you fear losing.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I have just read this thread with interest. There are now 15 weeks before we join the 'real world'! The list of jobs to do on the boat seems to get longer as we think of other things we need to do. The list of stuff to keep or store or junk is constantly changing, we worry about money and some untried kit, fundamentally the boat is fine, we are ready, SWMBO is ready, work cannot understand why I am doing it, life is not a dress rehersal, we will be 'poor' but doing what we want with our lives, that is what matters (to us).

Good for you.
I hope this thread helps.
You will never be ready but then again you will never look back

jonic

www.jryachts.com
...costing 60-70% less to live on the boat...

We're probably at about that

...it is fear of the unknown that binds us to this grindstone...

In real terms we've not sailed very far, but many years ago we trundled a motorbike to Australia and I've advised ever since: Once the wheels turn and you leave the driveway, you're about halfway there and after taking the channel ferry/tunnel and driving 250 miles across France, you'll have reached a place from where it's easier to fix any problem that arises where you are, rather than return home and do it; at that point you're on the home straight. Whilst I've yet to test my theory on the boat, I'm optimistic that having crossed Biscay I'm at the halfway mark and if/when we reach the Canaries, we'll be on the home straight.

...we eventually ended up with is a bunch of millstones around our necks that have taken so much blood sweat and tears to acquire, that we are loathe to dispose of them...

Whilst I think Kris Kristofferson's premis that "Freedom's just another word for, nothing left to lose" is perhaps a bit strong, I do believe that freedom equates largely to having nothing much which you fear losing.

+1

mario

Visit site
I am fortunate and very lucky to be where i am right now !

I bought an old barge for next to nowt spent a summer and winter "renovating" it and then sold for a modest profit.

The reason behind this venture, an ex wife and the loss of our matrimonial home,given to her by the courts and realising that i have lost the best part of my life saving which she never really contributed to and i would never see any return on all my hard work ?

forced into a lifestyle and my one regret is that i should have done it sooner !

Bitter..no very happy...indeed

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com

I clearly remember the run up to leaving. Quite terrifying isn't it?

Don't worry you will get over it.

Another forumite -Stingo - said the hardest bit is taking the road out of town.

Focus on what is front to you - not behind you!

njsail

Visit site
Another perspective might be people are usually raised to believe in the status quo. I will venture to speculate most people are raised on land, live in a home or some sort of dwelling affixed to solid ground, attended a dozen years of public schools that further endoctrinate kids to land based life and what 'normal' life is supposed to be. They go on one vacation a year that the family saves up for all year if they are lucky. The cycle continues when you then have kids of your own.

My point is most people are clueless what having a boat is all about. It seems extravagant to own a boat to the non-boat owner. To the people on the forum boating represents a lifestyle, a state of mind, and a solid option for reduced cost living (which is ironic considering the topic). To the land dwellers the thought of you living in a tropical paradise where they spent all year saving to spend a week in an over-priced hotel or cruise ship is mind boggling. You must be wealthy. They have to hurry back to work in order to pay for all the things they have aquired over the years most of which in retrospect is stuff they never needed in the first place. Hopefully some of those people are lucky enough to do some research and have an epifany regarding all the benifits of a water based life (fiscal and otherwise). I've lived in New Jersey my entire life and I fully understand the burden of some the highest property taxes in the country. I also understand the freedom that comes with a boat and the ability to break free from at least property taxes. I really never cared what the next guy owns that I don't - screw the jones. I do care very much how I want to live my life and what life experience I can provide for my family. Just go and have fun, enjoy life, and who cares if people who don't get it are envious (and or ignorant or sadly maybe even jealous). Carry a smile that tells the world you're happy with yourself and comfortable in your own skin.

Last edited: