Why Fairline need a coastal factory

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk

Portofino

Visit site
It’s been the elephant in the corner for @ least a decade maybe more .
I,am sure those Russian owners can see that , and will sort something out now the new modal identity has been established .
Tbo , the new management imho have not thus far put a foot wrong .

jrudge

Visit site
China ? Poland?

In the East - yes, but I would imagine based on my powers of perception that it is the East coast of the UK in a town beginning with I that Fairline used to have a delivery facility at and is mentioned in the BBC article.

I have nil inside knowledge but they will need a labour force more than they will need a coastal site so I cant imagine i am far wrong.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
In the East - yes, but I would imagine based on my powers of perception that it is the East coast of the UK in a town beginning with I that Fairline used to have a delivery facility at and is mentioned in the BBC article.

I have nil inside knowledge but they will need a labour force more than they will need a coastal site so I cant imagine i am far wrong.

I have no inside knowledge either but Ipswich has always struck me as being an inconvenient location as you've still got the get the boats down to the South cost for shipping or sale. And it would hardly be worthy of a big announcement / press release.

I'd guess somewhere like the top of Portsmouth harbour or the western side of the Southampton Water (south of Hythe). They might be able to pick up some skilled labour there or perhaps poach some from other builders.

If I was thinking outside the box then how about Scotland or Mallorca?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Sadly another builder going the way of big boats which are far beyond the reach of the average man.
I was only discussing with a surveyor friend today about the older Fairlines from the 90s , good quality boats built far better than today’s models , smaller entry level will be European or China build only .

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Sadly another builder going the way of big boats which are far beyond the reach of the average man.
I was only discussing with a surveyor friend today about the older Fairlines from the 90s , good quality boats built far better than today’s models , smaller entry level will be European or China build only .

To be fair to Fairline, they are launching a Targa 43 next year which will no doubt be a platform for a Sq43. There's a new 34 footer coming along too, however I am saddened that it's going to be a day boat (for millionaire villa owners no doubt) with minimal accommodation. I really hope they'll replace the Targa 37/38.

Boat2016

Visit site
Hundreds of boats have been transported this way already, what’s wrong in carrying on the same ?
Biggest problem with a move will be the skilled workforce required and prime water side land is worth more for housing as already mentioned so will likely increase overheads by a large percentage

rafiki_

Visit site
Hundreds of boats have been transported this way already, what’s wrong in carrying on the same ?
Biggest problem with a move will be the skilled workforce required and prime water side land is worth more for housing as already mentioned so will likely increase overheads by a large percentage
The 78 is the biggest boat they can transport. Fairline has already announced the new 82. From the renderings this looks fantastic, but it cannot be built at Oundle, and as Pete says, an announcement is due. They have history at Ipswich, and why not there? The 70 ft and longer are likely to to go to the abroad, so the Solent is not that important to them for the big board.

jrudge

Visit site
Fairline have ( and need ) a skilled workforce. It would be odd to move to a location most could not get to.

I cannot imagine that transport to the Solent was even considered. Most go abroad. The smaller boats will be trucked anyway so a few boats have to make a few hour trip to get to their destination which I can't see is a problem.

We will find out next week. !

Portofino

Visit site
“Skilled work force “ seems to be some sort of mental barrier to change ? From reading the posts so for .

Can some one kindly describe what exactly this is ps?

Do bear in mind before you wear out your key board in haste , the new well received GTO 63 , is not built using the FL , Grid , Matrix , foam what ever PeteM / JFM describe it as ?, I called it a liner ( moot point agree ) - Technique , The new stuff ,s a none grid ,- dare I say it liner method .- Thank Vripac ( sp ? ) for that .

So if i owned it ,if it was me runing it I would err towards to a build technique that you could train a troop of chimpanzees to do in 1/2 a day on the minimal wage , over seen by by a guy with experience who I would pay to relocate because he has proven he has more than 1/2 a brain over the years @ Oundle .
Other stuff can be made off site in a modular kinda way and shipped into to the new sea side site for fitting .
Vac bagging springs to mind , Ok you may have to be a bit selective with the Chimps :)
But I don,t buy into this ( if I understand the theme above ) “ skilled work force “ issue freezing FL to Oundle for ever and ever - nonsense! , thus capping build @ 78:,while the rest of world moves on .

Move to Plymouth or Poole ,and they will kill you , In fact you are doing them a favour , in the sense the only workers you will poach ( so called ready made skilled ) will be the dross , the lefty’s , troubled makers , the ones on a warning , the ones that are a problems .Believe me I written some great carefully worded references to competitors to get rid of dross staff that basically I could not sack .
So moving nearer to competitors - you are boosting them and saddling yourself wirh there $hit workeres .

Ipswich - buy out your neighbours .

Last edited:

alant

Visit site

vas

Visit site
“Skilled work force “ seems to be some sort of mental barrier to change ? From reading the posts so for .

Can some one kindly describe what exactly this is ps?

Do bear in mind before you wear out your key board in haste , the new well received GTO 63 , is not built using the FL , Grid , Matrix , foam what ever PeteM / JFM describe it as ?, I called it a liner ( moot point agree ) - Technique , The new stuff ,s a none grid ,- dare I say it liner method .- Thank Vripac ( sp ? ) for that .

So if i owned it ,if it was me runing it I would err towards to a build technique that you could train a troop of chimpanzees to do in 1/2 a day on the minimal wage , over seen by by a guy with experience who I would pay to relocate because he has proven he has more than 1/2 a brain over the years @ Oundle .
Other stuff can be made off site in a modular kinda way and shipped into to the new sea side site for fitting .
Vac bagging springs to mind , Ok you may have to be a bit selective with the Chimps :)
But I don,t buy into this ( if I understand the theme above ) “ skilled work force “ issue freezing FL to Oundle for ever and ever - nonsense! , thus capping build @ 78:,while the rest of world moves on .

Move to Plymouth or Poole ,and they will kill you , In fact you are doing them a favour , in the sense the only workers you will poach ( so called ready made skilled ) will be the dross , the lefty’s , troubled makers , the ones on a warning , the ones that are a problems .Believe me I written some great carefully worded references to competitors to get rid of dross staff that basically I could not sack .
So moving nearer to competitors - you are boosting them and saddling yourself wirh there $hit workeres .

Ipswich - buy out your neighbours .

not really disagreeing on what you say, but man, this must be the epitomy of non-PC speak!

cheers

V.

MapisM

Visit site
not really disagreeing on what you say, but man, this must be the epitomy of non-PC speak!
I couldn't agree more, V.
Otoh, we must concede it to PF: the difference between himself and most (if not all) people involved with decisions like these is only that he has the guts to tell it as he sees it, to the point of writing it on a public webpage.
You wouldn't expect that anyone of those who will actually decide - regardless of how PC their explanations might be - will follow a more ethical approach, or would you? :ambivalence: