Why does it always go wrong when everyone is watching?

z1ppy

Visit site
We took my aunt and uncle out on Saturday. These were the two people who introduced me to the joys of boats (albeit sailing ones) and since we had Charlie Brown, they have waited patiently for a trip out.

We booked the weekend months ago and hoped for decent weather, of course we could not have wished for better conditions.

Just a short run out to Hamble for a drink and some lunch.

9C70A161-8AEB-471D-B3C7-F06957B554A9.jpg

They seemed to enjoy it! even managed to see their old boat which has taken up residence on one of the river moorings.

70A1A1C6-D783-46E8-920F-0FFDCF5E45AE.jpg

Nice spot for a beer.

152A392E-124A-437F-A05F-F70C0EE585DD.jpg

I cant help but think the Waterside restaurant at Mercury is missing a trick. 14.30 on a Saturday afternoon and they had finished service lunch and they didn't have 2 wine glasses the same. Its a beautiful location and with a decent bar / resturant it would be my preferred waterside dining spot for miles.

B8F5E92D-CAC6-43AF-8157-D733CD588999.jpg

Back home we topped out at 45 kts with 300L of fuel and 4 persons on so happy with that! (especially as she has been in the water since June and very grubby underneath)

now i seem to struggle with our berth in Hythe. Everywhere else i can put the boat pretty much where i like in most conditions but i always seem to struggle with our own berth.

its a 8 meter finger berth with boats both sides. no tide and not a huge amount of wind. fairways are not massive but big enough... theres nothing wrong with the berth and far from difficult but i always seem to get it wrong!.

Not talking about hitting other boats of getting it 90 Degrees to the pontoon but i expect to be able to reverse in and be able to get lines on without stepping off the boat. still, at least i gave a laugh to the dozen of so people watching from their boats and thanks to the nice buy from the Broom who berths behind us for taking some lines for me.

Think some pontoon bashing is required as its starting to really annoy me!

Great weekend all in all and some very happy guests which is always a bonus!

Last edited:

[2068]

Visit site
More to do with trying to reverse a large rib with a single engine, and no bow thruster.

Last edited:

rafiki_

Visit site
Great post Howard. Weather better with you than here in South Wales. Piddling down today. Hoping to make Swansea tomorrow, no wind or rain but overcast.
The berthing will click in soon, bit more practice required.

Firefly625

Visit site
Nice pics Howard, indeed the weather gods were on your side this weekend.

I cant help but think the Waterside restaurant at Mercury is missing a trick. 14.30 on a Saturday afternoon and they had finished service lunch and they didn't have 2 wine glasses the same. Its a beautiful location and with a decent bar / resturant it would be my preferred waterside dining spot for miles.
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...when-everyone-is-watching#HPsLZcEEQ3qzLUoS.99

it is dreadful & gradually getting worse & is a great shame.

My idea (which is totally inspired) and I will get round to putting down on an email and sending to MDL powers that be is with a little bit of money spent, move Force4 chandlery upstairs and move the waterside restaurant downstairs and extending a terrace area out the front... brilliant isn't it!

....oh and get someone decent in to run the place, rather that the irritating git that parks his black land rover discovery in one of the only 2 disabled bays!

Last edited:

z1ppy

Visit site
I have to pic my words carefully for reasons you know but in my view, the place has gone downhill from when we lived in the village and it was pretty average then...

It has the perfect location there and with a little money and the right team to run it, it would be brilliant! I like the upstairs position as year round you get the view but sadly the entire experience was for me, enough to put us off returning. In all honestly, we only went there as Port Hamble didnt have a short term berth for us as they were busy (hardly surprising as its Cowes week!)

benjenbav

Visit site
Home berth thing is probably in the head: i.e. just you thinks it's less than perfect.

btw: gotta love the pink l/j.

z1ppy

Visit site
Nice looking rib - what is it?

Out of interest why do you reverse into the berth rather than go bow first?

Jon

Thank you, it's a Scorpion 8.1

Position of the cleats makes it difficult to secure the boat bows in, it's easier to board and I prefer to keep the engine out of the fairway where it is less likely to get clouted

Visit site
Same happened to me on Saturday evening and I even have a bowthruster on my 8m inboard diesel engine boat !!

I spent the next day coming in and out of my berth ...all perfect , I find it is all about mastering the use of reverse on the engine to kick the rear in to the pontoon.

Next time someone will be watching and I will mess it up.

nickd

Visit site
The size of the cock up is directly proportional to the number of spectators multiplied by the number of spectators that you actually know

Batteryman

Visit site
I'll put my hand up, I was one of those people giggling smugly, beer in hand as you came in.
nickd is right, it always gets worse, the greater number of people watching.

It will be my turn to provide the entertainment next time.

Last edited:

BruceK

Visit site
Oh hell I always mess up. I wait until the spectators get bored of watching before getting it right. :eek:

z1ppy

Visit site
I'll put my hand up, I was one of those people giggling smugly, beer in hand as you came in.
nickd is right, it always gets worse, the greater number of people watching.

It will be my turn to provide the entertainment next time.

glad to have been of service, its rare that my jokes get a laugh so being able to do it by my actions is good enough for me! :p

Were you on the Sealine on the otherside of B pontoon.?

its amazing how many people on here were there at the time! maybe i need to start disguising myself!

Last edited:

Batteryman

Visit site
Yes that was us, I think I was well into my 3rd beer by the time you arrived.

We were admiring your boat the next morning, I did like the black engine cover, very neat.