Why do all cheap power inverters have crappy sockets?

DangerousPirate

Visit site
Is there any way to fix them or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a more expensive one? The issue is that I can't put the plug in properly, it's always a fight. There is some kind of spring or whatever and it doesn't properly hold the plug, sometimes you need a lot of force, or it just wiggles in and out. I am pretty sure you know what I am talking about.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Is there any way to fix them or do I have to bite the bullet and buy a more expensive one? The issue is that I can't put the plug in properly, it's always a fight. There is some kind of spring or whatever and it doesn't properly hold the plug, sometimes you need a lot of force, or it just wiggles in and out. I am pretty sure you know what I am talking about.

Sorry, misread the question so deleted.

Neeves

Visit site
Ours is, or was, cheap. I assume its made in China. Australian branded. Its made to accept one Australian 3 pin mains plug, 240v, and a USB connection, oddly the USB connection is available even when the 'mains', the unit, is switched off. Ours has a thermostatically controlled fan (two actually), kicks in when it (the inverter) works hard. Its described as 'pure sine wave' - how would I know?

Our mains plug is easy to insert, it is a positive connection and offers a reassuring resistance to being pulled out.

Ours is too small 1500 watts (it will not accept our induction hob at the highest setting) - its on the list to be replaced with something bigger. Its quite happy with our air fryer, kettle, toaster, juicer, bread maker - we only use it with one appliance at a time.

I think there is cheap and cheap - maybe you should define cheap and possibly take a plug with you when you buy, Halfords or a caravan retail shop.

Jonathan

Edit: I had to look it up...It cost just under 100stg, our GST (aka VAT) is 10%. Delivery is free - they are often on special.

Now tell me its not cheap :) and I'm paying too, too much

Further edit - ours has no bells a whistles, no blue tooth.

Last edited:

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
We have a cheapish 3000W Inverter, 1500W continuous.

It was supplied by Craig Solar, who supplied our solar panels and regulator.

The UK Plug socket is fine.

No complaints.

I find it hard to believe that someone on a practical boat owners forum cant work out how to direct wire another socket to the innards............................................

Irish Rover

Visit site
We have a cheapish 3000W Inverter, 1500W continuous.

It was supplied by Craig Solar, who supplied our solar panels and regulator.

The UK Plug socket is fine.

No complaints.

I find it hard to believe that someone on a practical boat owners forum cant work out how to direct wire another socket to the innards............................................
In fairness, PBO is for sharing knowledge and expertise. I've admitted many times to being a tech numpty and I've asked many very basic questions on here and had great advice from many kind and patient experts. Attempts to shame less knowledgeable posters are wrong.

Boathook

Visit site
Are you able to replace the socket ? Most plugs are held in by friction on the pins. The spring bit, is part of the safety mechanism that covers the pin holes when not in use. It does seem like that both bits are faulty and a replacement socket best option.

ridgy

Visit site
I had one of these cheap things and I know the problem. Very odd, why would you make them like that. I looked at trying to fix it and did take it apart but had so little confidence in it by then. It was 2000w and had visions of it catching fire. I bought a better one from renogy.