Why are Oyster Yachts so expensive?

sailorman

Visit site
I didn't know these boats but they are superb, especially the 44' and the 48' with their cockpit shelters. These seem to have the same approach as Maurice Griffith designed for Kylix, his own retirement boat : a cuddy you can sit under or stand and look over. It's such a simple and sensible solution for comfortable sailing.

http://www.eventides.org.uk/images/Kylix3.JPG

(Can't ever forgive him though for designing the Atlantic Clipper 36)

However if I am being reasonable, my dream boat would probably be about 35 - 36 feet; small enough to handle myself, large enough for comfort and still able to get into those little picturesque fishing harbours. The Sirius 35 DS gets pretty close.

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/reviews/boats/1/128249/sirius-35ds

One major difference is that Oysters are sailing boats most of MGs would struggle to achieve that.
Exit stage left :)

satsuma

Visit site
Oysters are built in Hoveton, Norwich by E.C Landamores. A fine company with an excellent background in the production of a wide number of boats with a number from the illustrious boards of Holman & Pye. I visited the factory three or four years ago, and as an Engineer, I was very impressed with their set-up, skill and obvious quality. I was told at the time, that the starting price is £900,000!

I could never afford a new Oyster myself, but then like most other people in the world I could never afford a new Rolls Royce either! If I had the money, I would buy one! Just a little one mind, the 46! Until then I've been more than happy owning and sailing a Hustler 25.5 which they also made, and from lots that I see, to a similar build quality and standard!

Last edited:

Signed Out

Visit site
McMillan yachts were made in Ipswich too, if I'm not mistaken, and they were more interesting to look at than Oyster or Spirit, both of which are "statement" brands.

Oysters are bland, kinda like fancy Bavarias with the larger models simply being stretched versions of the smaller ones. OK they sail well and are "practical", but nowhere near as interesting as many Dutch craft, as exampled in earlier posts. And if you've got the pennies to spend this much, surely you can afford style and individuality? But then money doesn't buy class, does it?

Spirits just don't look right, something of the cross-eyed cat about them. Trying for the classic grace thing, but just doesn't work. There are far better of the type out there.

But then I suppose there's a huge market for rolexes and mock-tudor.

xtiffer

Visit site
Spirits just don't look right, something of the cross-eyed cat about them. Trying for the classic grace thing, but just doesn't work. There are far better of the type out there.

I would like to see some examples please.
If Fife had had today's technology I think he would have done
exactly what Spirit are trying to do.
Cheers,
Chris

Dockhead

Visit site
This thread may be old but I have just found it and feel I should post ........

I have sailed many thousands of miles in Oyster's over the past 12 years as professional crew from 53's through to 82's, and have listened to many an owners opinion of the marque. The best analogy that I can remember came from the owner of a new 56 (3rd Generation) when during a particularly gnarly night mid Biscay, I asked the question "why an Oyster when you could have bought absolutely anything else" the answer came back immediately " because it is the equivalent to a Range Rover on water". That night I had to agree with him !.

I have been berthed alongside many other European (and in fact British) built Yachts in the Med and could not but help notice that our deck gear was massive compared to theirs, ie on a 56 our secondary winches were the same as the 64 foot boat's (builder not mentioned) primaries beside us. The same goes for the rigging where I estimate the Oysters was 2mm at least larger and also the Genoa Cars..... The list goes on !

900 -1200 litre diesel capacity on a 56 foot boat sure as hell helps with extended cruising range too eh ?

Anyway now I am starting to ramble :)

Chris

As a long-time Range Rover driver, I sure hope, for Oyster's sake, that Oysters are better than that.

Obviously Range Rovers have certain attractions (otherwise I would not keep driving one), but massive build quality, or quality in any form, is definitely not one of them. In fact the sheer crappiness of many of the parts -- light, flimsy plastic parts -- is one of the big drawbacks of RR's compared to something like BMW. I won't even go into the reliability which is the worst of any automobile made in the developed world, and probably worse than the reliability of some cars made in the third world.

As to rig specification -- actually one reason why I did not buy an Oyster -- although I came very close, having actually put down a deposit on one, and although I absolutely adore the Holman & Pye era designs -- was that the rigs were actually somewhat underspecified compared to other non-production boats, such as the Moody 54 I ended up buying. The Moody I bought has a triple-spreader rig, eight (8!) cockpit winches, four of them electric, massive 14mm standing rigging, much Dyneema running rigging from new -- everything you could possibly order from Seldens, who are also the suppliers of the Oyster rigs. Looks like Moodys were trying hard to compete. In contrast, the Oysters I was looking at were much less well specified.

Another big reason to buy the Moody was that it had modern, glued-down teak decks -- vastly better than the old, troublesome screwed-down type. Oyster switched to glued-down decks quite late (and in fact Oyster decks today are supplied by Moodys -- one of the surviving bits of that otherwise defunct business).

Oysters are very beautiful boats, although I personally like the Humphrys designed ones much less than the Holman & Pye ones. They are not good value for money, however you slice it. They are better suited for sailors who don't care about that -- and that in itself makes them a status symbol, I guess -- symbolism which I personally can live without, but others may think differently.

Signed Out

Visit site
I would like to see some examples please.
If Fife had had today's technology I think he would have done
exactly what Spirit are trying to do.
Cheers,
Chris

Sorry Chris, slow connection here, and can't think of names, so won't google. But, my point is aesthetic. I have no doubt that Fife or others would have done what they are trying to do (am assuming you are referring to modern tech with classic looks, yes?), and perhaps Spirit have the hydrodynamics and build quality bang on. But... the looks are a little "off" to me- it's the superstructure that's primarily "out" in my eye, never quite working.

And that godawful coathanger logo.

Nigel Irens' classic work impresses me, but isn't glam enough for comparison.
If not mistaken (probably am), I recall the American market has more of this "daysailo/er" type at the moment, being in fashion, and expensive.
ie Hinckley daysailor- http://www.hinckleyyachts.com/Sailboats/ds42/ds42_gallery.aspx

Seen a lot of Spirits and Oysters. Just don't see "it".

p.s. It's all academic anyway, I'll not be affording anything in this market for a long long time.

Last edited:

Signed Out

Visit site
Hey Xtiffer Chris,

I've just seen the DH models, and am impressed. Only online, but they're getting there...

Now if they could only sort out the cynical old married couple eyes. Sorry, I mean deckouse windows/ports/lights/whatever. Make them tie in with the flow of the coachroof. Seems this is a design sticking point for the yard/designer.

Reminiscent of Dyarchy. Not as nice in my eyes, but hard to be so.

Visit site
I know they have a fantastic reputation for quality and sturdiness, but is 1 Oyster really worth 3 Jeanneaus?

Why are they so expensive? Bit of a daft question really. They are so expensive because thats what the punter wants. Same reason a Ferrari is expensive or a Roller.

If you are selling a high end luxury product then a high price is part of the buying proposition. Reduce the price and the guy who buys one can no longer look at the guy who buys a Jeanneau and think "he's only in that because he cant afford this."

Not sure that "expensive" is part of the appeal? Talk to your wife!

Last edited:

xtiffer

Visit site
Hey Xtiffer Chris,

I've just seen the DH models, and am impressed. Only online, but they're getting there...

Now if they could only sort out the cynical old married couple eyes. Sorry, I mean deckouse windows/ports/lights/whatever. Make them tie in with the flow of the coachroof. Seems this is a design sticking point for the yard/designer.

Reminiscent of Dyarchy. Not as nice in my eyes, but hard to be so.

Yes, I have only seen them online too.
Looks like they are thinking of a Mılne-like coachroof.
Also agree re portlights/windows, bronze would be better
than the Sangiomanıesque stainless.
Cheers,
Chris

DickB

Visit site
I almost bought one last year. Had a signed contract and even a deposit paid. I think the H&P designed 485 is one of the most gorgeous and most gorgeously engineered yachts I have ever seen. Certainly worth three Jeanneaus, in my book, although I think Jeanneaus are pretty decent boats. A BMW M3 costs three times what a VW Golf costs. I don't know why anyone is surprised. The difference between Oyster and Jeanneau is, if anything, still wider than that.

The problem I had, and the reason I ended up with a Moody instead, was that the relatively reasonable cost of a used Oyster turned out to be associated with an extreme degree of wear. It was my mistake; I thought I could get a decent 485 less than 10 years old for less than 300k GBP, but it turned out that all those on sale had been run back and forth across the Atlantic, had been very heavily used and depleted, and had not been kept up very well, not to say, that they were all knackered. So I was not comparing like-to-like with other boats; the average 10-year old Oyster has got 3x or 5x the miles on it than the average 10-year old anything else and so the apparently reasonable price is deceptive.

I ended up with a very lightly used Moody at probably half the cost of a like Oyster in like condition (if you could even find it). The key phrase here is in like condition. I am well pleased with the Moody. She is not quite as totally superlative as the Oyster, but I love her more and more the more I know her; she was designed with love and intelligence and shows it everywhere (bless you Bill Dixon). She is not worth three Jeanneaus, but she's definitely worth more than the one and a half which she cost.

I like the last generation of Humphry designed Oysters a lot less. They have lost some of that extraordinary elegance and harmony of line which the H&P ones had. Too bad.
For the record I went through the sam eprocess and bought an Oyster 485. Never ever regreted it. It is 1996 and was pretty tatty but three years later it is back up to scratch. The ride is brilliant. never a slam heard, and although she is no sprinter she maintains a steady 6- 7 knots in most seas. What I like is the build quality and thought to detail. You can get to everything, all panels are easily removed. The hull is build like a brick sh_t house!!!

It seems to me that Oyster set a bench mark. At the end of the day the market always rules and Oysters sell!!! They also hold their second hand very well. Buying mine was one of the best decisions I ever made. Having said all that I have replcaed the following:-

All instruments
Both heads
All running gear
Allstanding rigging
Holding tank (phoa!!!)
Binicle
Windlass
plus loads of trivial stuff too...

cheers,

Dick

DickB

Visit site
dont shatter our dreams of having an oyster....
we are motor boaters and our plan is to retire and buy an oyster then sail off for a few years while we still have our health.
imho they are the best sail boats we have seen and still have the dream....lol
maybe there are faster ones but we want the long distance ability with comfort and safety being the most important aspect.
Dont listen to the sceptics, trust me they are great yachts. I have a 15year old 485 and am delighted with it. Go for your dream...

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Our Oyster is a 45 and we have been sailing in France most of the year.
I wanted a boat that was easy to sail single handed and would keep my family safe. That is exactly what I have got and I would trust her to keep us safe in most weather conditions.
We have made so many friends from people comming to talk about her. The French do not seem to know the make too well but just keep comming to ask about her.
I wondered if I had made the right decision when we bought Cygnus III but having lived aboard for the last year I now have no doubt in my mind it was exactly the right decision.
Stories of our travels and photos of the boat are on our website below. If you are politically correct then it is not our website but someone elses.

Dockhead

Visit site
For the record I went through the sam eprocess and bought an Oyster 485. Never ever regreted it. It is 1996 and was pretty tatty but three years later it is back up to scratch. The ride is brilliant. never a slam heard, and although she is no sprinter she maintains a steady 6- 7 knots in most seas. What I like is the build quality and thought to detail. You can get to everything, all panels are easily removed. The hull is build like a brick sh_t house!!!

It seems to me that Oyster set a bench mark. At the end of the day the market always rules and Oysters sell!!! They also hold their second hand very well. Buying mine was one of the best decisions I ever made. Having said all that I have replcaed the following:-

All instruments
Both heads
All running gear
Allstanding rigging
Holding tank (phoa!!!)
Binicle
Windlass
plus loads of trivial stuff too...

cheers,

Dick

Oyster 485 = floating sex. Congratulations! The 485 is also what I wanted and almost bought. I think one of the most gorgeous sailing yachts ever made. You didn't buy Firefly, did you? I think she was a '96 -- I made an offer on her, too, which was laughed at. She needed an immense amount of work, but seemed to me a basically sound boat.

What I bought is not nearly as pretty as the Oyster 485 which I lost, but much faster -- which is also important to me.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I know they have a fantastic reputation for quality and sturdiness, but is 1 Oyster really worth 3 Jeanneaus?

The depreciation on a new one would make it a non starter for many prospective owners. A well looked after older model with most of its depreciation done-thats another matter. At most of the UK boat shows I have attended the standard of internal joinery is set by Nauticat and Island Packet. Others equal,but do not exceed these two but are in higher league in their price structure. Oysters have a reputation. They got it due to the way they perform and give confidence to their owners. Difficult to put a price on that!

DickB

Visit site
Hi Dockhead, no I bought 485/17 - JODANGE. Three owners from new the first two german, the first of which was meticulus(?), the second I think rubbish, and the third only bought it in part exchange for his '53 which he was selling. I also offered lower, actually 17.5 % lower, and the seller agreed. I am very happy with her, and we both feel very safe in her bomb proof hull (not literally of course)... She is not a fast yacht and at 18.7 tons no light weight but she takes any weather and never ever slams. We always look to bigger boats but she tics pretty much all the boxes for us. I like to think she is in much better nick now with all the hundreds of hours and pounds spent. I agree, reputations are hard won, so I ignore the sceptics and enjoy our 485... Cheers, Dick

Sybarite

Visit site
dont shatter our dreams of having an oyster....
we are motor boaters and our plan is to retire and buy an oyster then sail off for a few years while we still have our health.
imho they are the best sail boats we have seen and still have the dream....lol
maybe there are faster ones but we want the long distance ability with comfort and safety being the most important aspect.

Amel!