Why are Oyster Yachts so expensive?

dunedin

Visit site
Oyster still have my 37s build file 31 yrs on.
can that be said for benny blobbies

Most people's needs change over time, as family arrive, grow and leave - or their sailing preferences change. So length of ownership need not be a particular indicator.
But there are loads of long ownership bennys - including a famous First 345 (if I recall the length correctly) which has been repeatedly into arctic waters.

Fact is old boats tend to have lots of solid hull - and relatively few electronic gadgets to wear out. So tend to be kept for longer. New boats, Oyster included, have much more bolt on bits to go wrong.

PS Don't make the assumption that expensive boats lose less money unless you have done the full statistical research and discounted cash flows. It like cars - people think BMW and Audi depreciate less- and they do slightly less PERCENTAGE wise. But an almost identical Skoda will be so much cheaper and lose so much more than the Audi equivalent in cash terms. And if you think boats are different, only old ones. Again it is the electronics, sails, engines etc that are the bulk of the value and most won't last 10 years

Signed Out

Visit site
Why buy an Oyster when you can get a Perini Navi for the same money?

What, this one?

The%20yacht%20LEGACY%20Aground.jpg

minkysailing

Visit site
I have just returned from surveying a 2004 Oyster 56 and can say hand on heart it is one of the best yachts for condition and build quality that I have ever had the pleasure of working on. The quality of her build, fixtures and fittings after 7 years of ownership is a credit to the builders and owner. Are they worth the money?? If I had the money they would be right at the top of my shopping list!

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I have just returned from surveying a 2004 Oyster 56 and can say hand on heart it is one of the best yachts for condition and build quality that I have ever had the pleasure of working on. The quality of her build, fixtures and fittings after 7 years of ownership is a credit to the builders and owner. Are they worth the money?? If I had the money they would be right at the top of my shopping list!

I had similar comments from my surveyor. His parting comment was "If you don't buy it, I will"

haydude

Visit site
What, this one?

That must be Legacy, blown aground by Hurricane Wilma in 2005, spent 28 months there rolled by the elements before being salvaged and returned to port with several scratches and no mast. An Oyster would have been broken up in 24 hours.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Do you mean similar to the Oyster that hit an Iceberg in th South Atlantic and managed for 24 hours whilst all the crew were rescued....
Did slightly better than a Transatlantic unsinkable liner if my memory serves me correctly.
Wonder what would have happened with other makes.
Thats why you pay your money, so you can survive to tell the story.

doris

Visit site
For all their after sales service that some chaps seem to eulogise about, the one time I was close to looking at Oysters the attitude of the sales people managed to p*ss me off soooo much that I walked away from the whole idea. And I had been on best behavoir as well.

sailorman

Visit site
The thing is Doris they NEED lots of after sales service, you dont think they send a repair crew to the ARC by choice do you? all this about them being over engineered is a myth - lived and worked in Ipswich - have seen many things . . . . .

anyway to everyone enjoy your sailing, or if your in an Oyster to windward your motoring.

Not in a 37 you dont ;)

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
The thing is Doris they NEED lots of after sales service, you dont think they send a repair crew to the ARC by choice do you? all this about them being over engineered is a myth - lived and worked in Ipswich - have seen many things . . . . .

anyway to everyone enjoy your sailing, or if your in an Oyster to windward your motoring.
Nor a Heritage, despite being an unashamedly cruising yacht.

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I know they have a fantastic reputation for quality and sturdiness, but is 1 Oyster really worth 3 Jeanneaus?

That was the original question.

I had a choice when looking for boat to sail the seas and keep my family safe.

1) a brand new Jeanneau
2) a used Oyster

Did I make the right decision.... Dam right I did.