Who's theory is it that.....

incognito

N/A
Visit site
Re: Sorry Nigel, disagree....

Interesting your verdict on YM... I look forward to my monthly dose of destiny, then consume it, including ads, in about 2 hours. I have just received a reminder that my special offer sub. for 3 years runs out shortly. Looking at the cover price, and the mass of adverts vs. genuinely interesting articles (oh, I agree, there are some) - and contrasting the fact that it takes me nearly 2 days to plough through YW (same special offer, two for the price of three sort of thing) - I have decided not to renew.

YW has so much more in it - if you can live with an environment of boats beyond your wildest.

Visit site
Sorry this should have read:-

YACHTING MONTHLY:-

Newstrade and Other Single Copy Sales 25523

Single Copies Sold on Subscription 12252

Controlled Free Circulation 127

Non-Controlled Free Circulation 152

Multiple Copy/Sponsored Subscription Sales 16

Total Average Net Sale Per Issue 38070

Number of Effective Issues in Period 12

At Basic Cover Price/Normal Trade Terms 25427

Below BCP/NTT but not < 50% 74

Less than 50% of BCP/NTT but not < 20% 22

Non-requested by name 127

By name 150

Not by name 2

At Basic Annual Rate 311

Below BAR but not < 50% 11851

Less than 50% BAR but not < 20% 38

Less than 10% BAR 52

At Basic Annual Rate 14

Below BAR but not < 50% 2

Basic Cover Price £3.20

PRACTICAL BOAT OWNER

Newstrade and Other Single Copy Sales 34859

Single Copies Sold on Subscription 14837

Controlled Free Circulation 943

Non-Controlled Free Circulation 117

Multiple Copy/Sponsored Subscription Sales 17

Total Average Net Sale Per Issue 50773

Number of Effective Issues in Period 12

At Basic Cover Price/Normal Trade Terms 34747

Below BCP/NTT but not < 50% 103

Less than 50% of BCP/NTT but not < 20% 9

Non-requested by name 943

By name 116

Not by name 1

At Basic Annual Rate 541

Below BAR but not < 50% 14217

Less than 20% BAR but not < 10% 3

Less than 10% BAR 38

At Basic Annual Rate 13

Below BAR but not < 50% 4

Basic Cover Price £3.10

AMATEUR GARDENER

Newstrade and Other Single Copy Sales 55078

Single Copies Sold on Subscription 10770

Controlled Free Circulation 173

Non-Controlled Free Circulation 286

Multiple Copy/Sponsored Subscription Sales 5

Total Average Net Sale Per Issue 66312

Number of Effective Issues in Period 26

At Basic Cover Price/Normal Trade Terms 53879

Below BCP/NTT but not < 50% 207

Less than 50% of BCP/NTT but not < 20% 992

Non-requested by name 170

Non-requested by job title/function 3

By name 286

At Basic Annual Rate 2355

Below BAR but not < 50% 8347

Less than 20% BAR but not < 10% 14

Less than 10% BAR 16

At Basic Annual Rate 3

Below BAR but not < 50% 2

Basic Cover Price £1.30

Source "Media Week"

Steve Cronin

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Re: Hi Steev .... PBO and YM

Tony,

Was simply replying specifically to the NigeCh comment about chief editors being bean counters or whatever else he called them.

It's only Sarah that can offer her motives and I'm not sure whether she will want to do so or not here. I think it's fair to say that some people have picked up on a very obvious reason in this thread, namely that PBO is the biggest selling boating title in Britain and one of the biggest outside of the US. Being offered the editor's chair there is attractive.

Also Poole takes Sarah to the south coast where she lives and does her boating. There's a big attraction factor in that also I know.

There's already some new activity coming out of PBO and we spent all of yesterday working with them on some website improvements that you will see shortly.

Can't have been easy to choose the leave YM because Sarah has built a good team there. I know because I get the chance to work with them as a part of my duties here. Paul Gelder, the acting editor, has already given me a gentle reminder that we were late updating YM's website this month /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
Re: Who\'s theory is it that.....

Maybe the question is NOT why Sarah's leaving, but why there's a vacancy at PBO. How long has Roger Witt been there - maybe he wants to do more sailing;-)

If you were IPC, who would you put in charge of the largest circ sailing mag in the UK? As someone said, YM is a parish mag - lots of momentum there.

PBO is my third buy of the month after YW and YM. I have to say that I think it has improved over the last year. I get a lot of value ou tof it including NtoM 3 months late; and, I sail something a lot larger and more complex than a Centaur, bless their moulds. Article this month on self steering really good. Frightened me enough to make decide to buy one after all. Lots of angst saved there!

bfn

pugwash

Visit site
Bean-counters and blue water

Kim is right to defend his editorial bunch but I'm sure he'd agree they spend more time these days fending off the bean-counters in suits, and keeping them happy, than ever before. Gone are the days of gentleman editing when you could steer a mag by the seat of your pants. YM is a pretty good read these days. PBO might be bigger and more important but it needs a re-vamp. The design is clunky, the content has an osmosis problem. My bet is that IPC sees PBO as a mag that could be better so they have shipped in a new editor with a good track record to sharpen it up editorially and make the bean-counters happy. Good thing too.

While I'm on the subject, I wish YM included more Blue Water stuff. Not newsletters but hard helpful info stuff that feeds the dream of one day snoring across trade-wind lattitudes.