Who remembers.......

Seajet

Visit site
I seem to remember that was the case when I started around 1970 - no idea when it changed but I think I remember a couple of green wreck buoys roughly then ?

Last edited:

Joker

Visit site
Red & green are the worst possible choices, given that 1 in 12 men are red/green colour blind. I've had a couple of crew who were colour blind; it was a bit difficult asking them to watch the sectored light.

snowleopard

Visit site
I remember red/black laterals and green wrecks but it was a very long time ago. More recently, i.e. < 10 years ago, I did see a black buoy in the Camel estuary between Padstow and Wadebridge.

TSB240

Visit site
.......... when Starboard marks were black and wreck buoys were green?

:ambivalence:

(before 1977)

Used to race around this one before they put it in the Pub Garden......

images

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
So, can any other sad old fart remember even further back when ...

- Starboard hand buoys were conical with a solid colour, either red or black, mounted with a staff and globe;
- Port hand buoys were cylindrical and bi-coloured, vertically striped white with either red or black, mounted with a staff and cage;
- Wreck buoys were green with the word WRECK in white.

(Buoys in use until the early 1950's, until replaced by the red=port, black=starboard system. We shared this with Belgium.)

P.S. Does anyone also remember the experimental red-and-black cardinal buoy system that was briefly trialled in the Thames Estuary, ahead of the IALA agreement? Much more easily identified than the cardinal buoys we now have.

The present system (IALA - A) was adopted in 1980, and introduced in the UK over approximately three years, working around the coast. All our charts had to be replaced, an expensive time.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
The black buoys showed up far better than greens, which can all but disappear in some lights, even to people like me with normal colour vision. Luckily, Decca and GPS appeared to rescue us from confusion.

Uricanejack

Visit site
It was before my time pre IALA. All UK had changed over when I started sailing.
Though I had been out in boats.
I don't think they had any on Bingham's Pond.
The current IALA system A & B was agreed November 1980. It took a year or two to implement.

Last edited: