Who remembers.......

Serin

Visit site
Black stb. hand buoys; green wreck buoys; windward stands on irrespective of tack.....

How about sailing in the North Sea when there were still NEMEDRI charts marking the swept channels?

And (until a little more recently) waiting in the queue for a link call and listening to all the lonely sailors talking to their wives and girlfriends - and making convoluted arrangements to keep them apart......

Or even sailing without any kind of R/T (and hitching a lift ashore with the customs launch in order to find out my A level results after a summer's sailing in the west of Ireland)

Happy days! :)

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
Do submarines have windows, to allow buoys to be seen then?

Nah, Submarine Captains are Wizards.

How about link calls via Niton Radio, oilskins, RDF, pile moorings in Haslar Creek, Sumderlands at Calshot Spit and the Isle of Wight ferry with paddles??

;)

Seajet

Visit site
Yup,

I remember the last Sunderland trundling around before take off for Kermit Week's museum in the USA.

And the Medway Queen & Ryde nightclubs at the Folly ( I seem to remember the area stank of sewage at low water ) with the ' dance ' floors levelling as the tide came in; also the very handy campsite shop just there.

Also the bar on a barge at East Cowes marina when they had a cove for visitors, good slipway & camping / dog walking area ( not all that long ago compared to green wreck buoys ).

The hulk of the Mercury in the Hamble then Portsmouth before she went to Chatham for a restoration I for one would never have imagined, back to HMS Eagle ( I think, haven't been yet ).

View attachment 54597

Last edited:

pagoda

Visit site
Nah, Submarine Captains are Wizards.

How about link calls via Niton Radio, oilskins, RDF, pile moorings in Haslar Creek, Sumderlands at Calshot Spit and the Isle of Wight ferry with paddles??

;)

EEK... I remember doing link calls - waiting past the "hour" on 2182. Trying to remind other party that it was NOT a private line! Ditto rolling about on the floor giggling with the RO when girlfriends / wives got personal on other calls while I waited! I also remember telex paper rolls...

johnalison

Visit site
Queueing up outside the telephone box in Calais to tell anxious parents that one hadn't got lost in the Atlantic.
Racing around ships laid up in the Blackwater
Waiting for port entry signals
Drying cotton sails in the sail shed
Hand-starting a diesel
Rope-soled canvas shoes
Winches without self-tailers (though I believe there are still some around in museums).

johnalison

Visit site
I believe that William Dampier's (d 1715) sailing directions were still part of the admiralty instructions until the 1920s or more.

Uricanejack

Visit site
I don't know if they are still in use but
back in the 80's many of the charts for N Australia. were from surveys by Capt Flinders.

capnsensible

Visit site
Queueing up outside the telephone box in Calais to tell anxious parents that one hadn't got lost in the Atlantic.
Hand-starting a diesel
Rope-soled canvas shoes
Winches without self-tailers (though I believe there are still some around in museums).

The winches on my live onnit boat are not self tailing.......

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Hand-starting a diesel
Rope-soled canvas shoes

No, Yes, Yes, No, Sort of (using the decompression lever while using the starter motor), No, Yes