Who really makes those branded plastic toolboxes?

dancrane

Visit site
I bought a cordless circular saw before Christmas, a Bosch, at an appealing saving without a battery or charger which I already had. I only needed a case.

I bought a Stanley 'Pro-Stack' toolbox, then shaped some polystyrene inside so the saw fits more snugly in the box than it would have in one of Bosch's own costly cases.

Funny thing is, today I found a DeWalt toolbox that looked so similar in the Screwfix advert, I had to check to see who made mine.

The pictures are slightly different sizes but don't be deceived - the boxes are identical proportions.

53687200808_aa0b960ae9.jpg
53686979401_c4c773efa9.jpg

Aside from the colours and labelling, these two boxes are indistinguishable. All the mouldings and fittings are identical - they can only be from the same moulds.

I'm not complaining - it's a really tough case and it was cheap at whichever shop I bought it from. Perhaps the retailers are forced to offer them at a continuous discount because they know there's nothing exclusive about them?

Daverw

Visit site
Stanley are the diy brand for dewalt, the stack boxes are interchangeable, the Stanley ones about half the price.

Also the drawer versions are perfect for use on the boat as they are on roller runners and clip closed

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
DeWalt are part of the “Stanley Black & Decker” group.

Brands

So not surprising that they use the same cases…

Just noticed that I’d been beaten to it by Daverw
People commonly don't believe that Black & Decker (+Stanley) owns Dewalt, but it is a good laugh. Of cause they have it in their power to ensure you don't get top quality without paying more.

Just like so many other big names owning discount brands. A very good example is car tyres.

And good it is too, that you can save something by not buying over your actual need.

WoodyP

Visit site
I've still got a perfectly good Black and Decker corded drill which was made in Spennymoor in about 1980 when I bought our first home, a terraced miners cottage in County Durham. I suspect the drill may have escaped out the back door of the factory as l bought it from one of the staff.

Daverw

Visit site
It’s the same across other brands, Milwaukee also have Ryobi has heavy DIY brand, I just wish more battery’s where interchangeable

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I've still got a perfectly good Black and Decker corded drill which was made in Spennymoor in about 1980 when I bought our first home, a terraced miners cottage in County Durham. I suspect the drill may have escaped out the back door of the factory as l bought it from one of the staff.

In the early 1980's I worked in Spennymoor and would pass by the factory when going to work.

My first drill was a B and D with a short handle silver metal case and it still worked when my later ones burned out.

Still have a B and D attachment drill press and an attachment drill wood lathe some where

penberth3

Visit site
53686979401_c4c773efa9.jpg

Aside from the colours and labelling, these two boxes are indistinguishable. All the mouldings and fittings are identical - they can only be from the same moulds.

I'm not complaining - it's a really tough case and it was cheap at whichever shop I bought it from. Perhaps the retailers are forced to offer them at a continuous discount because they know there's nothing exclusive about them?

Agreed. I recently bought one to store a 500kg chain block, they're a pain to carry around loose!

1714416949470.png

Concerto

Visit site
This thread made me think about Metabo as I have a number of their tools. This is what I found out.

Hitachi Power Tools acquired Metabo in 2015. American investment firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. purchased Hitachi Power Tools and Metabo in 2017. Hitachi Power Tools changed their name to Metabo HPT in 2018.

dancrane

Visit site
Funny, how trade and amateur craftsmen rave about this or that brand - usually they favour whichever they began buying the batteries for...

...I wonder how many people know how similar a lot of the kit is.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I read recently that cordless drills are a loss-leader and often discounted because they're usually the first power tool that people buy, so this locks them into the battery system.

Stemar

Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me. Parkside generally punch well above their price point in terms of quality. I've had several, and the only one that isn't still going is a little angle grinder that my son borrowed to do a serious bit of work that warranted a full size one.

WoodyP

Visit site
This thread made me think about Metabo as I have a number of their tools. This is what I found out.

Hitachi Power Tools acquired Metabo in 2015. American investment firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. purchased Hitachi Power Tools and Metabo in 2017. Hitachi Power Tools changed their name to Metabo HPT in 2018.
I think that you will find that Koki Holdings own Hitachi and Metabo. What was Hitachi became Hikoki.