White sails racing

harstonwood

Live Staffordshire Moorlands/Boat Pwllheli
Visit site
I am trying to assist our club in promoting a white sails class for both club racing, and in a championship.

We have many ideas, but I wondered if any forum members had recent experience of promoting this style of racing, aimed at cruising boats. And could offer any tips/advice? Clearly many attracted to this class, would be new to racing.

We have a thriving IRC class 1 and 2 racing leeward/windward and coastal races

Thanks

Birdseye

Visit site
I dont have any experience but the guys at one of my clubs, the RCYC certainly do. Suggest you phone the sailing sec there

temptress

gbr195t.com
I am trying to assist our club in promoting a white sails class for both club racing, and in a championship.

We have many ideas, but I wondered if any forum members had recent experience of promoting this style of racing, aimed at cruising boats. And could offer any tips/advice? Clearly many attracted to this class, would be new to racing.

We have a thriving IRC class 1 and 2 racing leeward/windward and coastal races

Thanks

Here in Singapore we have white sails racing every other Saturday at Changi Sailing Club. We use fixed courses and make the races more passage to encourage participation. We use an adapted PY system to handicap with the aded twist that the winner of each race gets -3 aded to bis PY, seco d place gets PY reduced by - 2 ans 3rd place by - 1. Evens things up bit and encourages participation.

scottie

Visit site
We have had white sail classes at Scottish series run by CCC for many years now and it may be worth speaking to them as they do a follow up to get participants views. There has been a move to sperate courses with WS doing one longer round the buoys whilst the others do several short Olympic courses. FYC run passage races and out of a dozen staters 3/4 go WS.

Quandary

Visit site
We have had white sail classes at Scottish series run by CCC for many years now and it may be worth speaking to them as they do a follow up to get participants views. There has been a move to sperate courses with WS doing one longer round the buoys whilst the others do several short Olympic courses. FYC run passage races and out of a dozen staters 3/4 go WS.

The CAYC rating is invariably used for white sail racing up here and works well, (my Finngulf 33 gives time to all the Bavarias and Benetau's up to about 48' but is still competitive as long as it is not all downwind), to encourage cruisers there is an allowance for boats with roller reefing/furling headsails but if you claim it you are only allowed to use one headsail for the full event.

lw395

Visit site
When you say 'white sails' do you mean 'no spinnakers', no brown/grey laminates or both?

scottie

Visit site
No spinnakers/Gennakers etc
Foresail to be attached to forestay, either hanked on or on a furler
No sail changes once racing

That's my take on it.

This is the normal interpretation

The idea behind it is to allow crews who are either new ro racing or inhibited due to crew circumstances age numbers etc to have an chance to race