Whitchurch Lock 'broken'

The Glassman

Visit site
The top collar on the gate at Whitchurch Lock broke today, effectively closing the river - on an August Sunday, FFS!
The only info I have presently is from a chalkboard at Goring lock advising 'next update Monday noon' Just confirms the EA as about as much use as a chocolate teapot once again...🤬

DogsBody

Visit site
Still broken. Latest we heard from a Le Boat crew who tried to go through is expect an update late this afternoon.

Attachments

• 20230814_114743.jpg
    20230814_114743.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 22

DogsBody

Visit site
Apparently they have had people on site to investigate today and work out what parts are required to fix it and are now hoping they will return tomorrow to fit them. So lock might be open sometime tomorrow but nothing definite.

Ma Costa

Visit site
I’m also on the starting blocks in Reading - thanks for the intel so far and I’ll share anything I learn today.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
One hopes the anchor point in the lockside has been tested recently.

Last summer a collar strap failure at Boveney lock ended up needing a large mobile crane to be brought on site because H&S condemned the anchor point.

I don't think a crane would get to Whitchurch lock.

Hopefully all good as the weather is getting nice for boating.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
On a slightly different note do the EA still have a page with regular updates on breakdowns of locks and facilities?

There used to be a side bar on the river conditions page but this has all been changed.

Anyone know if there is anywhere to access the information?