Which way up?

TheBoatman

Visit site
James, you’re being controversial, and showing your age at the same time<s>

Shame on you for suggesting that lookout stations were useful!

I think that if you were to draw a 15 nm radius from the old N. Foreland lookout station one pair of eyes could see an awful lot of water.

Ah well, I suppose its accountants and value for money again. These folks seem to know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
eat more carrots

Thoroughly applaud your p-o-v and that of JJ, but in this instance unless a CG actually saw the thing falling over, what chance would shore-bound observers have of seeing a pair of low, small blue hulls floating upside down in a typically messy Solent chop? At night?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Andrew_Bray

Visit site
Ferry wash?

An interesting theory has been put forward by the previous owner of the cat, an Iroquois MkII which, incidentally, had earlier capsized off the Isle of Man in 1977. They were, apparently, sailing to windward in 20/25 knots with two reefs down, far from being over-pressed. He reckons that it was the wash from one of the fast Isle of Wight ferries that could have caused the capsize.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
Re: Ferry wash?

I hope not. The Solent ferries aren't that bad, in my experience, and if one could capsize a cat just by going past her I'd worry for all of the others' safety. How would they cope with going through the race at St Alban's on a rough day, for instance? I always thought the Iroquois was regarded as a stable craft.
Mind you, my ignorance of how a cat should be handled is rather great, being a lifelong monohull sailor. If he hit a big wave at speed, perhaps with only one hull, could he could broach and pitchpole her?

<hr width=100% size=1>