Which toilet paper?

Vara

Visit site
In todays Telegraph,British Gas,owners of Dyno Rod,commissioned a survey of dissolving times of toilet paper,summary:
<pre>Sainsburys Low Price 3mins
Sainsburys Recycled 4mins
Andrex Regular 6mins
Andrex Aloe vera 26mins
Newspaper 60mins
Andrex moist wipes 5days</pre>

I retain the newspaper result for true PBOs.
Any questions on why this is boaty do a search on Peggy Hall(headmistress)/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>If it cant be fixed with a lump hammer don't fit it<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by colmce on 22/11/2004 19:13 (server time).</FONT></P>

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
Abstain, alternate, minimise, reuse, recycle.

Why put them in your holding tank if you can [special] bin them and recycle the paper ashore?

Do you figures hold for salt water? I have seen toilet paper strewn like garden flowers under mored boats. The manual pump does very little maceration.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Vara

Visit site
Re: Abstain, alternate, minimise, reuse, recycle.

They are NOT my figures,I merely pass on reported results.
I presume that the figures are in fresh water as Dynorod have very little recreational marine business.
As to the idea of putting paper in bag and taking it ashore,if you can sell that to SWMBO you're a better man than I am.She's still reeling from the fact that her hairdryer doesn't work!

<hr width=100% size=1>If it cant be fixed with a lump hammer don't fit it

mikewilkes

Visit site

Is there not a 12 volt caravan type hair dryer thingy????
Dont have the problem personally cos I dont have enough hair!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
Gaelic_Cat.thumb.jpg
Ceum ur

Becky

Visit site
But surely another vital comparison is the scratchiness factor. No good having a rapidly soluble loo paper if you end up with a sore bum. Or (perish the thought), mucky hands. Yuk

<hr width=100% size=1>

l'escargot

Visit site

Don't take her to Greece then. Not only is it compulsory afloat, it is compulsory ashore.

Same rules on land or sea - if it hasn't passed throught the intestine, it doesn't go down the pan!

<hr width=100% size=1>
smallsnail.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
That's very handy. I'm putting in a holding tank this winter and I wondered if I dare risk toilet paper in the system. But there again having done a Greek Flotilla Holiday this October, not putting loo paper down the dummy isn't that awful.

<hr width=100% size=1>

HeadMistress

Visit site
Any of the first three on your list is suitable for use in a marine toilet and/or holding tank. Avoid all the rest...and remember: "flushable" or "septic tank safe" on a label does NOT mean it won't clog a marine sanitation system.

To determine whether any brands not on that list are ok, tear off a sheet and put it in a glass or bowl of water. If, in less than an hour, the water is milky and all that remains of the paper is some "snow," it can be flushed down a marine loo without risk of clogging anything...but the sheet is intact--or even mostly intact--don't risk it.

However, too much of even the "right" TP can cause a clog...but it will dissolve on its own if you just wait a bit....so don't rush into any clog-clearing measures till you've given it chance to break up on its own. If it doesn't, somebody flushed something they shouldn't have.

<hr width=100% size=1>Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com

""As to the idea of putting paper in bag and taking it ashore,if you can sell that to SWMBO you're a better man than I am.She's still reeling from the fact that her hairdryer doesn't work! ""

It is much worse in prospect than in practice.

On our Red Sea Diving liveaboard, that was the practice also but we found that their very oily diet helped also.

<hr width=100% size=1>GBW

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site

Scarlet,

I had similar happen to me when skippering a chartered yacht I pulled out of an overnight anchorage to see what I thought was toilet paper scattered under the sea toilet. Then one day later the septic tank blocked. I as previously suggested carried out a trial on the toilet paper in water, it broke down immediatly which had me baffled, I then found baby wipes hidden in a cupboard and these did not break down at all, in fact it was difficult to even pull them apart. Eventually two days later I managed to clear the blockage by pressurizing the septic tank with the outlet open, it cleared much as you might imagine a constipated elephant. After a chat with the female crew the problem did not reoccur.

Happy days!
Trevor

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site

I'm still wondering why she would would want to dry the paper with a hairdryer /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

chas

Visit site
minimise

As a young lad in the RN in the '60s, I was told only to use three sheets - one up, one down and one to polish.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Boathook

Visit site
Personally, for the boat I only buy the square packs where they are individual sheets. Not to sure on the dissolving times of the various makes but the baby blake does not seem to cause any problems. These packs are more expensive but it beats taking apart a blocked lav !!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Piere

Visit site
WHEN TIMES ARE HARD OR THE BOG ROLL SUPPLY IS RUNNING LOW TRY THIS LITTLE METHOD.

Take one square of toilet paper.
Fold over two diagonal corners to meet. You should now have a triangle.
Fold the other two corners to meet .You should now have a smaller triangle.
Pinch out the closed corner, just a little amount. SAVE this piece as it will be required later.
Open up the square , you will now have a small hole in the centre.
Insert your finger thru the hole and use it to wipe your bum.
Fold up the tissue back over your finger to clean same.
Discard this in a suitable place.
Retrieve the small pinched off piece and clean under your finger nail.

HOPE YOU AREN'T THE TYPE THAT BITES THEIR NAILS

<hr width=100% size=1>

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I don't like boats where the heads has an overflowing bin of s....y bogroll beside it, no matter how good it is for the environment.

My compromise: three sheets of cheapest easily dissolving . . . the choker valve chews that up nicely on the way out. Then finish off with a wet wipe and put it in an empty Pringles tube which can be sealed with the lid and put in the ordinary trash when full.

(patent pending)

- Nick

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>http://www.bluemoment.com</A></font size=1>

Ships_Cat

Visit site
<<<I don't like boats where the heads has an overflowing bin of s....y bogroll beside it, no matter how good it is for the environment.
>>>

Agreed, people should get themselves some decent plumbing in my opinion. They will be pooping in the corner next /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>I am the cat but I am only 6.

ashley

Visit site
Got to agree with JohnM here. The eco french paper at about 99 cents for 12 I think is excellent.
Not scratchy at all, no "break through" either (thank god) and no amount of this stuff has managed to stop my toilet.

I don't think it would last a minute under the above tests as I've tried to use it outside on deck spills and it seems to dissolve on contact!

<hr width=100% size=1>Live life to the fullest... think of all the people on the Titanic who passed up chocolate dessert.