Which tablet to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refueler

Visit site
I too am very impressed with the tablet recommended by @PaulRainbow and I'm planning to order one myself. Thanks for the information. I'm a bit amused and bemused by the reaction of @john_morris_uk who is usually a more measured poster. Am I missing something?

C'mon ... its normal .. iPad vs Android ... you should see it on Drone Forums where you use the Tablet as viewer / control link etc. Some of the arguments are WW3 !!

samfieldhouse

Visit site
I love my iPad. I use it for everything navigation, movies and answering posts on forums :)
it links to my appleTV, phone and watch when I buy one. Yes, I am that bloke….

As am I -and my 3 year old iPad mini which I bought second hand is as fast as when it was new. I can't say the same for the Samsung tablets we use at work.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I too am very impressed with the tablet recommended by @PaulRainbow and I'm planning to order one myself. Thanks for the information. I'm a bit amused and bemused by the reaction of @john_morris_uk who is usually a more measured poster. Am I missing something?
Didn’t mean not to be measured. I was simply bemused by the anti-Apple brigade wading in and using a straightforward question by the OP to attack Apple products/company/pricing structures/technology etc etc

I’m usually doubly bemused by complaints that ‘You can’t fiddle with the Apple product as it’s locked etc’ because why would you want to fiddle with it when it works perfectly well as designed.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Didn’t mean not to be measured. I was simply bemused by the anti-Apple brigade wading in and using a straightforward question by the OP to attack Apple products/company/pricing structures/technology etc etc

I’m usually doubly bemused by complaints that ‘You can’t fiddle with the Apple product as it’s locked etc’ because why would you want to fiddle with it when it works perfectly well as designed.
Your first post on the thread in reply to @PaulRainbow started with the line "At least be honest in your price comparisons". If that's measured then I guess I don't know what the word means. I didn't read any particular anti-Apple sentiment in Paul's contribution. IMHO his focus was simply on the economics of identifying a suitable tablet. He also commented on a price comparison with a Samsung tablet. I didn't pay much attention to any other posters criticising Apple - I tend to ignore irrelevant drivel which doesn't add value to a thread. It does seem strange to me, however, that you feel the need to rush to the defence of Apple and in ghe process disrespect a poster who is generally very generous in sharing his knowledge and expertise.

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

Your first post on the thread in reply to @PaulRainbow started with the line "At least be honest in your price comparisons". If that's measured then I guess I don't know what the word means. I didn't read any particular anti-Apple sentiment in Paul's contribution. IMHO his focus was simply on the economics of identifying a suitable tablet. He also commented on a price comparison with a Samsung tablet. I didn't pay much attention to any other posters criticising Apple - I tend to ignore irrelevant drivel which doesn't add value to a thread. It does seem strange to me, however, that you feel the need to rush to the defence of Apple and in ghe process disrespect a poster who is generally very generous in sharing his knowledge and expertise.
Paul’s first comment was typical ant-Apple as far as I’m concerned. ‘Much more sensibly priced?’
Yes, don't waste your money on an expensive iPad for the boat. Buy a much more sensibly priced Android tablet.
Perhaps Refuelers following post caused my bias.

In the end I’m still bemused by those who wade in with anti/Apple rhetoric. I’ve got both a MacBook and a Windows laptop but so what.

Refueler

Visit site
We all have our 'bias' .....

I don't understand the following of iPad that people have ...

I know many people who changed from iPad to Android and voiced their satisfaction

In my work - a few have tried using iPad's for their field work - to find they are battling unnecessarily.

I freely admit and accept I am anti-iPad / iPhone ....

Irish Rover

Visit site
Paul’s first comment was typical ant-Apple as far as I’m concerned. ‘Much more sensibly priced?’

In the end I’m still bemused by those who wade in with anti/Apple rhetoric. I’ve got both a MacBook and a Windows laptop but so what.
I'm sorry to see you're still trying to justify your intemperate response to very reasonable points of view i.e. there's no need to spend more on a tablet for the boat when there are perfectly adequate and suitable alternatives available. That's not anti Apple. It's just good sensible advice.

john_morris_uk

I'm sorry to see you're still trying to justify your intemperate response to very reasonable points of view i.e. there's no need to spend more on a tablet for the boat when there are perfectly adequate and suitable alternatives available. That's not anti Apple. It's just good sensible advice.
Whatever. I’m sure your remarks about cost are very reasonable. More reasonable than many of the strange bias/hatred some people seem to have about Apple products.

I’m sure there’s truth on both sides. It’s the mention the name and out comes the vitriol (from some) that I find strange.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I said "Yes, don't waste your money on an expensive iPad for the boat. Buy a much more sensibly priced Android tablet. An 11" iPad Pro is nearly £900, a 10.4" Android is £150 or less. How about rugged one"

Spending £900 plus for an iPad Pro, just for Navionics on the boat is, in my opinion, a pointless waste of money. Nothing to do with Apple, Android or anything else. For £900 you may as well buy a dedicated chart plotter, although the OP already has one of those, all he wants to do is mirror it at the chart table.

I suggested he could buy an Android tablet that would do the job admirably for less than £150 (i have two 10.4" tablets at my lower helm doing just that), or even a rugged version for £200. The OP thought the rugged one was just the job !!

Further into the thread i compared a Doogee Android tablet to an older model Samsung. Nothing to do with Apple vs Android, just something better value, IMO.

We have laptops onboard running Windows, Samsung tablets, Doogee tablets, Samsung phones and Raspberry Pi's, whatever does the job best for whatever is the most economical price. Don't care who makes them and i don't care one way or the other about Apple.

Your comments about "honesty" are a disgrace, you should be ashamed of yourself, especially as you are a "Mod" on the forums. If i called someone dishonest you'd be banning me for a week.

I look forward to your apology.

Irish Rover

Visit site
Whatever. I’m sure your remarks about cost are very reasonable. More reasonable than many of the strange bias/hatred some people seem to have about Apple products.

I’m sure there’s truth on both sides. It’s the mention the name and out comes the vitriol (from some) that I find strange.
The only thing approaching vitriol I read on this thread was from you. I think you should accept the invitation to apologise and put it to bed.

john_morris_uk

I said "Yes, don't waste your money on an expensive iPad for the boat. Buy a much more sensibly priced Android tablet. An 11" iPad Pro is nearly £900, a 10.4" Android is £150 or less. How about rugged one"

Spending £900 plus for an iPad Pro, just for Navionics on the boat is, in my opinion, a pointless waste of money. Nothing to do with Apple, Android or anything else. For £900 you may as well buy a dedicated chart plotter, although the OP already has one of those, all he wants to do is mirror it at the chart table.

I suggested he could buy an Android tablet that would do the job admirably for less than £150 (i have two 10.4" tablets at my lower helm doing just that), or even a rugged version for £200. The OP thought the rugged one was just the job !!

Further into the thread i compared a Doogee Android tablet to an older model Samsung. Nothing to do with Apple vs Android, just something better value, IMO.

We have laptops onboard running Windows, Samsung tablets, Doogee tablets, Samsung phones and Raspberry Pi's, whatever does the job best for whatever is the most economical price. Don't care who makes them and i don't care one way or the other about Apple.

Your comments about "honesty" are a disgrace, you should be ashamed of yourself, especially as you are a "Mod" on the forums. If i called someone dishonest you'd be banning me for a week.

I look forward to your apology.

I completely agree that it would be a waste of money to spend £900 on an iPad Pro just to use Navionics etc on the boat. There are better cheaper alternatives.

It’s the juxtaposition of costs that I interpreted as a backhand and not very honest comparison. The OP said he’d admired an iPad Pro screen and instead of pointing out that you don’t have to pay £900 for the pro version but you can get one with nearly the same size screen for less than half the price, you set the cat among the I hate Apple pigeons.

If you didn’t mean to do that then I will apologise.

At the end of the day it’s the Apple haters I’m bemused by. My daughter is one and she curses every time she has to use any product from the company. It’s irrational and silly.

Refueler

Visit site
Post #49 ... I've given good basis for someone to rail against ...

Prior to #49 - I see nothing to get upset about .... but as I have said already - many forums such as Drone have such iPad vs Android battle lines based on peoples belief they have best ...

I paid peanuts for all my Androids ... in fact I reckon I could add up all and still have change from an iPad pro's price.

But back to OP's position - he has had suggestions of economic solutions ... so what's the problem ??

Irish Rover

Visit site
I completely agree that it would be a waste of money to spend £900 on an iPad Pro just to use Navionics etc on the boat. There are better cheaper alternatives.

It’s the juxtaposition of costs that I interpreted as a backhand and not very honest comparison. The OP said he’d admired an iPad Pro screen and instead of pointing out that you don’t have to pay £900 for the pro version but you can get one with nearly the same size screen for less than half the price, you set the cat among the I hate Apple pigeons.

If you didn’t mean to do that then I will apologise.

At the end of the day it’s the Apple haters I’m bemused by. My daughter is one and she curses every time she has to use any product from the company. It’s irrational and silly.
Seems to me your daughter's irrational and silly behaviour may be inherited. Your mealy mouthed conditional offer to apologise does you no service.

Refueler

Visit site
The OP said he’d admired an iPad Pro screen and instead of pointing out that you don’t have to pay £900 for the pro version but you can get one with nearly the same size screen for less than half the price,

Even that price is over what I can get similar sized Android - which will have all the functions ... 2 sims ... SD card ... WiFi ..... Bluetooth and not forgetting Mirrocast ...

I can understand the paying higher if we were comparing quality ... lets say Mercedes vs Lada ... but we are not. The quality of most Android is on par with iPad ...

john_morris_uk

Seems to me your daughter's irrational and silly behaviour may be inherited. Your mealy mouthed conditional offer to apologise does you no service.
Perhaps you should remind yourself of the rules against personal attacks?
The first sentence of your #32 in which you wrongly accused another poster of dishonesty.
Don’t be silly. I suggested he should be more honest in his comparisons. In other words compare like with like.

Status
Not open for further replies.