Which sailmaker

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Given the lambasting of another post for daring to have a new thread on what the poster considered the same topic /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I set out the following specific thread.

Which sailmaker do you suggest/recommend I approach for a small order comprising a main and a jib totalling about 350 square feet (apolicies for the imperial units).
Of particular interest to me is the post sales service in the event that something is not up to par.

NB Please DO NOT post any sailmakers that you consider I should not aproach due to overcharging, bad service (purchase and after) etc.

PeteCooper

Visit site
On a small boat I would recommend Steve Goacher's sails. He is very well known in Sonata circles. Many years ago I had a super racing genoa for my Intro from him. I did the measurements and sent them to him. The sail arrived on time and fitted and set very well. We won a lot of races with that sail. He happened to be in Kip a few weeks after we took delivery, and despite being in a rush to get back down South he took the time to sail with us to check that he was happy with the sail.

Dalliance

Visit site
Dolphin Sails in Harwich - fabulous service, extremely competent (we've used them for years and are very satisfied customers - and we don't have shares!)
Good luck with whomever you choose.

tom52

Visit site
Try Kemps.
No seriously, up until this week they have had lots of recomendations on this forum.

WoodyP

Visit site
Arun and Rockall came and did a nice job for me. Ivan is a v. nice man who answered all my queries and presented me with something that worked, first time.

michael_w

Visit site
Rob Dyer of North UK.

I'm about to order my 9th sail from him. First class cut and service. Even when things went wrong, all sorted out with no argy-bargy.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There must be someone local to you, surely?

I'm thinking that if there were a problem a local firm could come to see for themselves. That's one of the reasons I always deal with local people and firms if I can.

[/ QUOTE ]
On an island of 38,000 people and no real sailing fraternity you have got to be kidding.

The closest I will get is St.Maarten - 60 mile flight, Antigua - 70 mile flight or Barbados - 375 mile flight.

However, various suppliers of marine products tend to pitch their prices to be level/almost level or slightly above overseas (non-Caribbean sailmakers).
Hence my searching for alternate sources.

Appreciate the suggestions.

sighmoon

Visit site
We got a sail repaired at a local upholsterers, who stuck the word 'sailmakers' on their sign in a moment of deluded grandeur. I wouldn't do that again.

We bought a new main from Hong Kong Sailmakers. I would expect, if there were any issues, rectifying them would have been pretty difficult, but thankfully it fitted fine and sets well. At half the price of the well known uk lofts, and with better customer service from their UK agent, it was worth the risk.

compassweb

Visit site
There is a Doyle Sailmaker based in Vilamoura Marina in the Algarve serving Albufeira, Lagos, Portimão, Tavira, Vilamoura, Vila Real de Santo and Faro Marinas – Tel: (+351) 289 321 155
I have used the Doyle Sailmaker in Vilamoura for sail repairs, new sails, sail repairs, covers, boat upholstery, dodgers, spray hoods, cockpit enclosures, biminis, awnings and rigging. They offer keen prices, outstanding service and timely delivery. Naturally 50% deposit will be required when placing your orders! The web address is http://www.joanadasvelas.com