Which paper magazines do you read?

Which paper magazine do you read most often?

• Practical Boat Owner

Votes: 61 56.0%
  • Yachting Monthly

Votes: 49 45.0%
  • Motor Boat

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Yachts and Yachting

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sailing Today

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • Yachting World

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • None

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Something not mentioned above

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tim_ber

Visit site
I'm not very good with polls, but I'll try:

I'm interested to know if practical sailors read Practical boat owner, Yachting monthly, Yachts and Yachting, Yachting world, Motor Boat, Sailing Today

Thanks in advance.
I am wondering if I need a flak jacket here.

Last edited:

tim_ber

Visit site
i read discarded ones, not actually bought a copy in 15 yrs :eek:

I know what you mean.

I read them in the library if / when I pop in, but don't buy.

PBO first then Y monthly.

Use to read (subscribe) to Sailing Today many years ago when it started and enjoyed their different approach, but something happened and it stopped being so novel.

Last edited:

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
I'm a cheapskate, and Sailing Today seems to appreciate cheapskateness. I get PBO most months but gave up on YM ages ago when it became an expensive way to get press releases, advertising brochures and yet another bloody article by Tom Cunliffe on MOB techniques. Rumour has it that YM is doing some actual journalism these days, so I may have to reinvestigate.

I've just read Classic Boat for the first time, as it has an article by Chuck Paine on the design of the Frances hull. It's OK, and some of the writing is quite good, but the use of imperial units only in most articles is an irritating affectation and I am not sure I have quite the required sexual fetish for varnished wood to be a regular reader.

tim_ber

Visit site
I'm a cheapskate, and Sailing Today seems to appreciate cheapskateness. I get PBO most months but gave up on YM ages ago when it became an expensive way to get press releases, advertising brochures and yet another bloody article by Tom Cunliffe on MOB techniques. Rumour has it that YM is doing some actual journalism these days, so I may have to reinvestigate.

I've just read Classic Boat for the first time, as it has an article by Chuck Paine on the design of the Frances hull. It's OK, and some of the writing is quite good, but the use of imperial units only in most articles is an irritating affectation and I am not sure I have quite the required sexual fetish for varnished wood to be a regular reader.

Sorry, I forgot Classic Boat.

A lovely mag, but always makes me feel so inadequate regarding skills and craftsmanship. Great to look at the pictures though.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Sorry, I forgot Classic Boat.

A lovely mag, but always makes me feel so inadequate regarding skills and craftsmanship. Great to look at the pictures though.

Some of the pictures are lovely, but I suspect that most of the boats featured do no more at sea than the occasional gentle sail out and back in F2 before returning to base for a clean and polish. Frankly it's all a bit stuffed and mounted for my taste.

prv

Visit site
the use of imperial units only in most articles is an irritating affectation

I suspect I'd find it less irritating than PBO's rigid insistence on using both imperial and metric for every single measurement. Yes, sometimes it could be useful where the measurement is crucial to the meaning, but too often it's very obvious that the original author wrote, say, "it was only about six inches away", and some sub-editor then shoe-horned a pedantic "(152.4mm)" into the middle of the sentence.

Pete

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Some of the pictures are lovely, but I suspect that most of the boats featured do no more at sea than the occasional gentle sail out and back in F2 before returning to base for a clean and polish. Frankly it's all a bit stuffed and mounted for my taste.

The yacht KATE on this cover isn't in that category :D:D:D:

classic_boat_sm.jpg

Elessar

Visit site
I'm not very good with polls, but I'll try:

I'm interested to know if practical sailors read Practical boat owner, Yachting monthly, Yachts and Yachting, Yachting world, Motor Boat, Sailing Today

Thanks in advance.
I am wondering if I need a flak jacket here.

There is no such mag as "motorboat" there are 2 YBW mobo mags - motorboat and yachting (MBY) and motor boat monthly (MBM) the former is geared towards the bigger boats. The latter sometimes has more practical, fix your boat type articles, MBY readers aren't expected to get their hands dirty.

Lakesailor

Visit site
I love a bit of wood and varnish. Classic Boat is a lovely mag to gaze at.

PBO is fine in small doses, depends on the content. Some of the columnists (pagists?) are struggling to find something to write about and end up with some meanderings that anyone of us could have written.

I bought a YM last month for the first time in ages and enjoyed the read.

Same applies to Amateur Photographer which seems to have set it's stall properly towards true amateurs (as opposed to novices or professionals) and is better for it.

That is the problem with special interest magazines though, and applies to any hobby, the same stuff gets churned over year-on-year.

Having said that I still enjoy a magazine as opposed to reading on the 'net.

Flossdog

Visit site
Afraid I spend loads on mags. Subscribe to PBO, YM and Sailing Today. Also to Watercraft which I really enjoy for the superb photos and build articles of wonderful new classic yachts.

ianat182

Visit site
Was given this months Sailing Today and a free newspaper called 'All At Sea' on Saturday; the free paper had as much news in it and boat adverts as the former and was a very good read.
I recognised some of the photographs from other yachting mags so they were probably publicity shots and comments from the vendors.
Very good ST article on a used Moody Eclipse 38, but the review was carried out in such a light wind it cannot have given any indication to a buyer of its undoubted sailing performance, which I know is excellent.

ianat182