which new 4hp stroke to replace 2stroke please

nyx2k

Visit site
now that ive established my 4hp two stroke will easily push my 14ft dinghy id like a quieter engine
had it since new and looks it but its a little to noisy for a relaxing day out in chi harbour

ive seen 3.5 hp outboards without reverse new for less than 600. i presume the little less hp wont make a differnce or is it better to go with the four hp at 900 ish

also do these old 2strokes have any value now thr 4strokes have taken over
thanks

jac

Visit site
now that ive established my 4hp two stroke will easily push my 14ft dinghy id like a quieter engine
had it since new and looks it but its a little to noisy for a relaxing day out in chi harbour

ive seen 3.5 hp outboards without reverse new for less than 600. i presume the little less hp wont make a differnce or is it better to go with the four hp at 900 ish

also do these old 2strokes have any value now thr 4strokes have taken over
thanks

Personally I would go with the 4hp. Load the dinghy down a bit and suddenly that extra 1/2 hp gets noticed.

As for value - none at all - happy to take it off your hands for nothing ;)

Seriously though - they can fetch good prices if in good condition as the yare lighter, simpler and more forgiving. Might be worth holding on to for a bit just in case unless you want the money from it to make up the difference between the 3.5 and 4 hp 4t

Seajet

Visit site
Watch out for the vastly increased weight of 4 strokes; make sure to personally try lifting any model you fancy.

Also beware 4 strokes are fussy about how they are stowed, inc in the car on the way home; follow maker's instructions or oil may fill the combustion chamber resulting in hydraulic lock and much pain to wallet ( and no engine in the meantime ).

ex-Gladys

Visit site
Typically a 3.5 is based on the same guts as a 2, and a 4 will be the lowest power of the next range that may go up to 8, so you're getting 0.5 hp for an engine weighing the same as a 6/8(ish)

nyx2k

Visit site
the two stroke is like new less than 20hrs i think. just i fancied a quiertr engine' . maybe i could find a chandler who has one for demo to see how much quieter the 4t is against the 2t

Topcat47

Visit site
I don't know which manufacturer made yours but I've been offered what I paid for mine (Tohatsu 3.5) in Px for a 4-stroke equivalent. The (ST)dealer said he can sell any he gets and has a waiting list for good small 2-strokes, virtually anything under 6hp. I sold a 14 year old Yamaha 4 for £250 last year and the buyer was delighted with it. It's currently powering a silhouette. Personally I"d not give a wee 4-stroke houseroom as they're more trouble than they're worth. I know people with larger 4-strokes (55hp+) who are delighted with the improved economy but for tender motors, you'll never get the price difference back.

dartmoor

Visit site
the two stroke is like new less than 20hrs i think. just i fancied a quiertr engine' . maybe i could find a chandler who has one for demo to see how much quieter the 4t is against the 2t

Noise is different - not necessary quieter! Four strokes can sound clattery (valves) and at higher throttle certainly let you know they are there. Small engines are noisy whatever I am afraid.

nyx2k

Visit site
maybe im better off doing a few more outings in the 2t to see if i can get used to it. would go bigger but its in a well and not much turning room. the oil mixture was a little rich as i guessed . that would make it a little louder or lumpier wouldnt it?
prob was 30 ish to one. should be 50-1 i think

No Regrets

Visit site
Personally I would go with the 4hp. Load the dinghy down a bit and suddenly that extra 1/2 hp gets noticed.

As for value - none at all - happy to take it off your hands for nothing ;)

You took the words out of my mouth :nonchalance:

dartmoor

Visit site
maybe im better off doing a few more outings in the 2t to see if i can get used to it. would go bigger but its in a well and not much turning room. the oil mixture was a little rich as i guessed . that would make it a little louder or lumpier wouldnt it?
prob was 30 ish to one. should be 50-1 i think

Oil rich mix would have no real effect on noise - just would make it smokier, and possibly more prone to stalling on idle with plug fouling...

nyx2k

Visit site
pricing is all over the place. 250-450 it seems dependent on condition. seems my old thig is still liked by sailors for moving pretty big boats. reliability is the main issue as mine is prob yrs old but spent its entire life in my closet. was used once for a week a few years ago and the borrower then paid for a service as a thank you. is there any reason to believe the 2t will be any less reliable than a brand new 4stroke.

Norman_E

Visit site
Has anyone ever done any serious work on quietening an outboard? I think that the manufacturers were more keen on a high power to weight/size ratio than on keeping the noise down so there could be scope for some improvement.

dartmoor

Visit site
pricing is all over the place. 250-450 it seems dependent on condition. seems my old thig is still liked by sailors for moving pretty big boats. reliability is the main issue as mine is prob yrs old but spent its entire life in my closet. was used once for a week a few years ago and the borrower then paid for a service as a thank you. is there any reason to believe the 2t will be any less reliable than a brand new 4stroke.
Possibly yes! A two stroke needs the crankcase seal to be v v good in order to suck in fuel. As they get older they become less reliable on this score.

nyx2k

Visit site
because its so clean every nut and bolt is capable of being undone with minimal force. in this condition it would make it easier for any repairs to be done if needed i suppose.
trying to weigh up whether a further 400 on top of the poss value of the 2t of about 350 will i get better reliability. i know they use less fuel but the 2t isnt exactly thirsty.

jac

Visit site
because its so clean every nut and bolt is capable of being undone with minimal force. in this condition it would make it easier for any repairs to be done if needed i suppose.
trying to weigh up whether a further 400 on top of the poss value of the 2t of about 350 will i get better reliability. i know they use less fuel but the 2t isnt exactly thirsty.

More to go wrong with a 4t

Seajet

Visit site
I'm curious as to what 14' dinghy has a well, but I'm out of touch with modern designs !

With my 22' cruiser racer with a well, it's important to have an engine - around 5hp standard shaft is optimum as it's a slippery hull - with it ( engine ) easily capable of being lifted in and out of the well, so a fairing plate can be fitted when sailing to vastly reduce drag, turbulence noise, and as lesser points chances of picking up ropes & flotsam.

I use a Mariner 5hp 2 stroke in and out of the well, still as new, and have the previous Yamaha 4hp 2 stroke in reserve, never needed it yet but having tried lifting 4 strokes I reckon 2-strokes of this size make the difference between useable or not, - worth their lesser weight in gold - and I'm a reasonably fit 53.

Also an important point re trim on a 14' dinghy to have that much weight aft, I wouldn't want it on my 22, even though in a well on both occasions.

I don't deny the 4 stroke will or should be much quieter though; if seeking quiet I might think about a torqueedo electric engine & decent / spare battery with a solar panel ?

Last edited: