Which life-raft?

Independence

Visit site
I'm researching life-rafts at the moment and was wondering which life-raft folks been using for the Azores and Atlantic challenges and why?

Pye_End

Visit site
I hired from liferafts.com. They have a bit of variety and gave me a lighter one in their stock, in a valise as I stored down below. Thought about buying one, but a hired one may well be better quality for the cost, and it is not an item that I generally carry anyhow.

PacketRat

Visit site
I bought a Seago 4 man valise liferaft as it was the cheapest.

It has been round the rocks with me - Fastnet and Rockall - but no further. The biggest problem was where to put it on a 21 foot boat.

The main plan was to make the Scouse Mouse into her own lifeboat. She has two watertight bulkheads and a Jordan drogue. For that reason I tend to view my liferaft as something of a cumbersome nuisance. Even if it ever does serve some purpose, then it shouldn't be for very long as I carry a PLB, which is why I didn't give too much consideration to the quality of the article.

In fairness to Seago, the liferaft was immersed in fresh water for months when rain filled the locker it lives in. The outer bag got discoloured and slimy. In the winter, it became effectively encased in a block of ice for some time. Aside from the unusual appearance, the people who serviced it did not suggest it had come to any harm.

Regards,
Robin.

hrchivers

Visit site
Hi.

I don't usually carry a raft so I hired one for the Azores from norwestmarine. Very helpful.

One useful hint was to allow ample time for returning from the event - much cheaper to buy an longer hire than pay a late return fee. They were reluctant to hire a valise because of the difficulty of keeping it dry, but did so in the end.

PacketRat

Visit site
I hired one for the Azores from norwestmarine. Very helpful.

Same firm that serviced mine. The cost was £60 plus consumables plus VAT, or, to put it another way, £180. Personally, I'd prefer the liferaft to be devoid of stuff like flares, water, seasickness tablets etc, especially that lithium battery, and just put what I want in a grab bag.