Which handheld VHF..

stownsend

Visit site
Evening

Just a quick one, looking to get a handheld VHF to backup my fixed VHF on my Hanse 301. On a very tight budget (sub £90)so looking at the Cobra HH125 or the Radio Ocean 2400 VHF.

Limited reviews, any suggestions on which is best...

Cheers

Stu

pvb

Visit site
Just a quick one, looking to get a handheld VHF to backup my fixed VHF on my Hanse 301. On a very tight budget (sub £90)so looking at the Cobra HH125 or the Radio Ocean 2400 VHF.

Limited reviews, any suggestions on which is best...

Neither, they're both rather cheap radios, splashproof rather than waterproof, with limited battery power. For £99, you can get a Standard Horizon HX300E which is much better quality, solid construction, waterproof, floats, has bigger battery power, has lithium-ion battery, etc. There's no comparison in quality.

Last edited:

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I've got the Cobra. Paid about £65 for it, works fine at short ranges. Easy controls not many options but then again I don't want them. It feels a bit flimsy and isn't in any way waterproof but at the price is ok.
Should have said it has Nimh batteries, which can be replaced by any AAA batteries if needed. 12v charger provided as well.

Last edited:

MOBY2

Visit site
Hi, as mentioned I have the Standard Horizon and been impressed with the quality, floated it in the pond for half an hour and does what it says on the tin... Koi seemed to like it as well, was impressed with the battery life and charged using USB port on board quite quickly, spend a little more, you won't be disappointed.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've also got the Cobra but the NimH batteries have died and they took ages to recharge via the 12v lead so I've fitted Li-ion AAA non-rechargeable batteries, supposed to have shelf life of several years and last longer than usual Alkaline batteries. Only used occasionally so should be fine for me.
I've got the Cobra. Paid about £65 for it, works fine at short ranges. Easy controls not many options but then again I don't want them. It feels a bit flimsy and isn't in any way waterproof but at the price is ok.
Should have said it has Nimh batteries, which can be replaced by any AAA batteries if needed. 12v charger provided as well.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Neither, they're both rather cheap radios, splashproof rather than waterproof, with limited battery power. For £99, you can get a Standard Horizon HX300E which is much better quality, solid construction, waterproof, floats, has bigger battery power, has lithium-ion battery, etc. There's no comparison in quality.

Spot on :encouragement:

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I did have a cobra hh125(about £50) which worked fine for local comms with marina/port radio but failed its 25 yard lifesaver test when I threw it overboard.:rolleyes:
I replaced it with a cobra hh325(about £100) which has proved good for about three years so far.

Sailfree

Visit site
Recently bought the ICOM base handheld that floats and is waterproof. IIRC £135.

Reason the non-waterproof handheld ICOM VHF that I bought 13 yrs ago has outlasted all the cheap waterproof ones I have bought in the meantime.

I should explain that the ICOM was bought for the charter boat and the waterproof ones for my personal use after reading of the OUZO fatalities.

Yngmar

Visit site
Have the Cobra HH125 (EU version) and used it a lot this year. No problems. It doesn't float and is only splashproof, but so far that's all it needed to be. Works fine, uses standard batteries which charge in the radio but if need be you can just pop in a set of alkalines and go on. Pretty good for what it cost. Battery charge still lasts a whole day unless you waffle a lot.

Edit: It was £54.99 when I bought it in July 2014.

Norman_E

Visit site
I regard a handheld VHF as essential safety gear, something that goes with me if I go in the dinghy, and which would work if the boat was dismasted. In my opinion The Standard Horizon radio is well worth the extra cost.

Topcat47

Visit site
As a Cobra Owner, I have to say the range and performance is very limited. I've failed to raise Solent Coast Guard with it while in the Solent.

stownsend

Visit site
Thanks all for the responses, defiantly pause for thought on the Horizon. I have some Force 4 gift vouchers so will need to have a chat with SWMBO aka the Bank Manager to see what additional funds I can have !

Thanks again

Cheers

Stu