Which grib app for Android?

Skylark

Visit site
I'm considering the purchase of an Android Tablet as back up for boat navigation.

I currently use Zygrib on my Windows PC. Regretfully, Zygrib does not run on Android.

A bit of googling suggests that either SailGrib (free app) or PocketGrib (£2.50) may be largely equivalent.

Does anyone have any experience of using these (or any other) compared to Zygrib?

Many thanks

bobgarrett

Visit site
I have both and prefer pocketgrib.
There is pocketgrib lite which is free so why not download and use both until you see which you prefer. The lit version limits the number of days downloaded.

Plum

Visit site
I'm considering the purchase of an Android Tablet as back up for boat navigation.

I currently use Zygrib on my Windows PC. Regretfully, Zygrib does not run on Android.

A bit of googling suggests that either SailGrib (free app) or PocketGrib (£2.50) may be largely equivalent.

Does anyone have any experience of using these (or any other) compared to Zygrib?

Many thanks

Recommend Pocketgrip app.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

agurney

agurney.com
windytv - free and shiny (but I believe needs an internet connection, rather than using grib from files)

Flica

Visit site
zyGrib on laptop, pocket Grib on Android.

I've used zygrib for 23 years, originally in its French, Linux form.

As long as you remember that all the Grib viewers ignore local topographic effects, and can lead to woefully inaccurate forecasts in the Med.

Scomber

Visit site
Pocket Grib for us (and we have a glance at passage weather and met office for wider view - extended outlook on navtex too although I realise that's not what you were asking!!!!)

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
A drawback with PocketGrib is that it only lets you ask for 7 days forecasts. I find that up to 10 days has value in looking for consistency between successive model runs. I am NOT saying that a 10 day forecast is useful in isolation. See http://weather.mailasail.com/w/uploads/Franks-Weather/ninedaystppdart.png for an example. On that occasion we were fairly certain 7 days ahead when we would be able to cross from St Peter Port to Dartmouth.

You can get 10 day (and longer) GRIB data by using Saildocs email service. See http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-Weather/Saildocs-Free-Grib-Files. This is rather "techie" but if you use the Weather4D app it will generate the message for you. I find this very convenient. Simply send the email from the app. The return is often near instantaneous. Occasionally a few minutes. The email attachment can be opened with PocketGrib or any other app you have. It can also be transferred to a laptop and viewed with the zyGrib viewer.

You will have to modify the Weather4D email slightly. The message that I am currently using is

send gfs:N45.8,N50.5,W6.5,E1.5|0.25,0.25|0,3..240|PRESS,WIND,APCP,CAPE

That gives for the area defined, data at 0.25 degree spacing. For every 3 hours out to 10 days. Send the email to query@saildocs.com.

If you do not want the Weather4D app, then just copy that and put in your own area lat/longs. My Saildocs page gives options for getting forecasts, say, every 3 hours to 48 and every 12 hours thereafter.

Last edited:

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
Maybe the answer depends on where you sail.

In the Med, Sailgrib can be set to get gribs from OpenSkiron http://openskiron.org/en/ Their Gribs seem to produce a more accurate forecast. I paid for SailGrib WR which allows weather routing.

TudorSailor

OpenSkiron and other "more detailed" models should represent topographical effects better than the GFS. Howevet, as far as I know all start with no more meteorological data than the GFS so none can produce more detailed weather information. Also, because of the limitations of their boundaries, they will be inferior to the GFS for periods longer than24-48 hours. Added later: they get boundary conditions, horizontal and vertical from the GFS so that the results are heavily dependent on the GFS for these longer periods.

As an alternative to the GFS in the Med, were I back there, I would use the TurkMarine Westherwise - http://212.175.180.126/DTS/sea.php. That starts with the ECMWF data analysis but uses the WRF. Not as much topographical detail as OpenSkiron but better weather input. Of course, you can get OpenSkiron and OpenWRF from http://openskiron.org/en/.

Last edited:
Visit site
On my Android phone I use Windguru, which works well if I have WiFi or a reasonable phone signal. When I am sailing in an area with patchy phone reception I look out for the occasional place where there is a signal and use the opportunity to download a forecast. However, this can be hit and miss. I have therefore set up to receive GRIB (.grb) files by email from Saildocs ("a service for the bandwidth impaired"). That means that emails automatically arrive when my phone finds a signal, without me having to do anything - sometimes this happens in the middle of the night at an anchorage. I then transfer the .grb file to my Windows laptop and use a GRIB viewer (ZyGrib or ViewFax) to view the forecast.

Is there an Android app that will allow me to view a .grp file that I have received by email and saved on the phone, so that I don't have to fire up a laptop? Windguru does not seem to do that.

Last edited:

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
On my Android phone I use Windguru, which works well if I have WiFi or a reasonable phone signal. When I am sailing in an area with patchy phone reception I look out for the occasional place where there is a signal and use the opportunity to download a forecast. However, this can be hit and miss. I have therefore set up to receive GRIB (.grb) files by email from Saildocs ("a service for the bandwidth impaired"). That means that emails automatically arrive when my phone finds a signal, without me having to do anything - sometimes this happens in the middle of the night at an anchorage. I then transfer the .grb file to my Windows laptop and use a GRIB viewer (ZyGrib or ViewFax) to view the forecast.

Is there an Android app that will allow me to view a .grp file that I have received by email and saved on the phone, so that I don't have to fire up a laptop? Windguru does not seem to do that.

I do the same using an iPad and a laptop. On the iPad the .grb files will open in all my apps. Try PocketGrib. Tap on the email attachment and it will suggest apps that may open the file.

Saildocs was developed initially for use with email over HF/SSB. It is ideal for low bandwidth use. For “advanced” students, see my GRIB pages, especially the one on Saildocs.

Last edited:

ghostlymoron

Visit site
I've been using iGrib which seems decent enough
sounds like it is for iPad, the op is after android. I've used pocket grib initially the free version but liked it and upgraded to premium version mainly to increase the predictions from 3 to 5 days. It must be remembered that the predictions for later days may be less accurate than day 1!

Plum

Visit site
sounds like it is for iPad, the op is after android. I've used pocket grib initially the free version but liked it and upgraded to premium version mainly to increase the predictions from 3 to 5 days. It must be remembered that the predictions for later days may be less accurate than day 1!
I use the pocketgrib app set to GFS 8day forecast and find it good but not sure of the value of a 10 day forecast due to the increasing unreliability that far out.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Visit site
Thank you Frank. PocketGrib works well on my Android phone to view GRIBs that I have previously received by email, as well as requesting a GRIB while online. I will switch to using that instead of Windguru.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I use Sailgrib but get my gribs via saildoc email.
You can set the grib source storage location in the grib app so you get the best of both worlds, the built in app grib request and the tailored saildoc grib.
If the app will only read say five days you can get two five day chunks via sailgrib and within the app choose which grib you want to open.
If pocketgrib will do the same, then it is just a case of which presentation you prefer.