Which grib app for Android?

ghostlymoron

Visit site
As far as I know, grib information is common to all apps/programs so the only difference is the presentation. In my opinion, it makes sense to download and display in the same app such as pocket grib.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
I use the pocketgrib app set to GFS 8day forecast and find it good but not sure of the value of a 10 day forecast due to the increasing unreliability that far out.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

There is no value in a 10 day , 9 data, 8 day forecast in isolation. They are useful for comparing successive forecasts. When you start to get consistency between successive forecasts it is a good indication that the forecasts are probably along the right lines. See the September 2016 example at http://weather.mailasail.com/Franks-Weather/Grib-Forecast-Examples.

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
As far as I know, grib information is common to all apps/programs so the only difference is the presentation. In my opinion, it makes sense to download and display in the same app such as pocket grib.

If you have Weather4D, you can use it to generate a Saildocs request message. The reply email attachment can be opened in any GRIB app, it does not matter which. GRIB files are the same however you get them. You can also transfer them to a laptop for viewing us ingress zyGrib or with Viewfax. There does seem to be a problem with some of the apps. I modified the Weather4D Saildocs message to give me 10 day’s data. Both PockrtGrib and iGrib fail to present the data beyond 5 days. Weather4D has a meteogram that works out to 10 days but the winds do not show on their chart. I try to avoid using the laptop - unless WiFi access is free - because of automatic software updating problems. So, getting 10 days GRIB data efficiently but displaying on the laptop is a useful, cost effective way of getting GRIB data and using what I find is the best viewer - zyGrib.

Sorry if it sounds complicated. You just need a cup of strong black coffee before you start setting it up. Once done, you can just send the same request message as long as you like. Of course, you can change areas on the request email.

Last edited: