which gps around£700

ccscott49

Visit site
Obviuosly we are talking a plotter here, not just a GPS, because they are much cheaper than 700! Don't know about plotters, but everybody I know swears by garmin ones.

Gunfleet

Visit site
I bought the Garmin 176C this season. I think it's terrific. It's not much bigger than a conventional GPS but has chart cartidges so you have a visual of where you should be re. the physical paper chart. £170 worth of chart cartidge covers the whole of the Dover Straights and English channel. It's so accurate it shows which pontoon my boat is on in the marina. The screen is small so you wouldn't want to be doing the kind of medium scale passage planning you do on a chart with it, but that's not the point. It's sold as a plotter but I think of it rather as a GPS with a chart overlay. Of course I carry a spare Garmin (48) in a metal box and paper charts too. And I keep up the fix on the paper chart.

davidbains

Visit site
If you already have a laptop you could consider buying navigation software and digital chart CD for your area. I find Maxsea easy to use. If you just want a good quality GPS with big clear screen and alphanumeric waypoints , a track window and mini graph plotter (not a chart but can be useful) , I've had many years good service from a Lowrance navigator. I can read the screen at night from across the cabin. They seem to include a fish finder as well nowadays and Eagle are a slightly cheaper version.

G

Re: why spend £700?

"if your a poor go out to work thicko"

what an unpleasant response. says a lot about the person who made it.

BrendanS

Visit site

It might not have been a very pc answer, but the post he was replying to did warrant a forthright response.

There are a multitude of people of these forums, some who can afford big boats and multitudes of toys and equipment to go with them, others are struggling to enjoy their passion for the water on a limited budget.

I've had a go at big budget guys in the past for forgetting that others are more limited.

I'm no happier about derogatory comments from people who can't afford the latest or more expensive gizmos.

It's nearly xmas time folks, can we let people who ask a serious question get a serious answer, and everyone get on with each other. Or is that a stupid question

charles_reed

Visit site

A good question that warranted a more measured reply.

There are 2 parts to a GPS - the reciever (Garmin 35 or 36) and the display.

The receivers cost about £60 so you're going to be investing the additional money in the display.
For that you'll get a larger screen and, at the price you're proposing, a bottom end chart plotter.

I'd suggest you save your money for a better chart-plotter (or go out to work and get some overtime) or pay a lot less for a more conventional GPS like the Garmin 100 series.

There's nowt so easy to part from their brass as a fool.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
You can still buy the Garmin 220 (colour) plotter for something like your budget. Pumpkin were selling them a month or so ago, although they did not advise that these were now obsolescent. These use the G-chart system that is now obsolete but still supported. There must be millions of these sets in service and it is inconceivable that Garmin will shut off chart chip supplies without a good deal of warning. Garmin UK will not or cannot, tell me how long they will continue. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap220/>http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap220/</A>

However, the charts are not produced by Garmin themselves; the data is downloaded from Navionics in the past and more recently by someone else, not sure who. So there is every chance that these plotters will continue to be updatable for some years to come.

I made the move from mono to colour a few years ago and found the colour made a great deal of difference.

Going to the 2010 range will cost you at least twice your budget, so like me I guess you will have to save a little longer.

LeonF

Visit site
I had/have a Magellan 1200XL. When upgrading the speed and wind it was only marginally more to get a new GPS below than it was to buy a repeater. I went for a Raynav 300 and am glad I did. Faster, clearer display and everything is interfaced. Go for it.

L.A.R.Ferguson