Which anchor ? :)

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Manson Racer or Guardian G7 ?
A shop here has either of them on offer at about 50euro, which one to choose ? Or perhaps buy both :D ?

I don't really need it, fwiw I already have an alloy anchor which is not bad but would like to try something else.
Use would be as generic kedge for a 41'ft, imperative to be able to handle it in a rubber dinghy, speed of setting *a lot* more preferred to maximum holding capacity, if there is any difference between the two types above.
Alternatively, a 5-6kg Kobra ?

I know I could buy an alloy spade or similar, but then it's a totally different price range... which one of above would you choose ?

Roberto

I have the 16kg; however, the design of the smaller ones is the same so I would expect similar performance.

I think the tip of a lower weight anchor would apply a lower pressure over the bottom (weight moves with the cube of the linear dimension, area with the square), so for a given anchor shape and bottom density/viscosity a smaller one should probably be less efficient.
Probably better than alloy anchors in setting speed, though with less total area hence lower ultimate holding capacity (?, just thinking aloud).

Data about little anchors is difficult to find (be it steel or alloy), it's a pity as they can be quite interesting even for much secondary use in bigger boats.

(IIRC, regards from another October 8th birthday :) )

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
I think the tip of a lower weight anchor would apply a lower pressure over the bottom (weight moves with the cube of the linear dimension, area with the square), so for a given anchor shape and bottom density/viscosity a smaller one should probably be less efficient.
Probably better than alloy anchors in setting speed, though with less total area hence lower ultimate holding capacity (?, just thinking aloud).

Data about little anchors is difficult to find (be it steel or alloy), it's a pity as they can be quite interesting even for much secondary use in bigger boats.

(IIRC, regards from another October 8th birthday :) )

I agree that there is a possibility that a smaller anchor of the same may behave differently, but as you say there is no data. October 8th !!, we are special!!.

Sybarite

Visit site
Manson Racer or Guardian G7 ?
A shop here has either of them on offer at about 50euro, which one to choose ? Or perhaps buy both :D ?

I don't really need it, fwiw I already have an alloy anchor which is not bad but would like to try something else.
Use would be as generic kedge for a 41'ft, imperative to be able to handle it in a rubber dinghy, speed of setting *a lot* more preferred to maximum holding capacity, if there is any difference between the two types above.
Alternatively, a 5-6kg Kobra ?

I know I could buy an alloy spade or similar, but then it's a totally different price range... which one of above would you choose ?

Whichever has the more weight in the tip (penetration) and which has the greater surface area (holding).

Roberto

Whichever has the more weight in the tip (penetration) and which has the greater surface area (holding).

Hello John,

both the Guardian and the Manson Racer are flat, danforth style, so barely any weight in the tip I am afraid. And *very* light when you take them in your handsn though I suspect there might be something interesting to be had from such small objects.

(btw they are on sale at accastimer, they have about a dozen manson racer blue anchors and a few guardian G7, inside one box just beyond the warehouse)

Sybarite

Visit site
Hello John,

both the Guardian and the Manson Racer are flat, danforth style, so barely any weight in the tip I am afraid. And *very* light when you take them in your handsn though I suspect there might be something interesting to be had from such small objects.

(btw they are on sale at accastimer, they have about a dozen manson racer blue anchors and a few guardian G7, inside one box just beyond the warehouse)

My kids opened a credit for me at Accastimer as a BD present!