Where to keep boat for winter on S coast

Bi111ion

Visit site
I have sailed my 39' fin keel ketch round from Grimsby to currently Teignmouth in Devon (largely single handed). I would like to start the next season from the S Coast, and was thinking of winter storage ashore (have own cradle). Thing is unlike Humber Cruising Association most yards dont let you stay in the boat, and as I live up north I we would want to stay on the boat to do jobs on her in the winter. Are there any yards that let you stay on the boat still? Should/could we find a budget pontoon berth for the winter? Anywhere between Devon and the Solent would do.

Rappey

Visit site
The trick is not to mention extended stays on your boat whilst ashore, just stay and do your thing and probably no one will care.
I would have thought it unreasonable to not allow some overnighting while visiting and doing work on your boat as some live a long distance away.
A premium yard may not encourage it but a budget yard is likely to let you get on with it.
This is the first time I've ever heard of yards not allowing you to stay overnight. I'm solent based. It's a conversation I've never heard before even though I'm sometimes working in and around boatyards .
You bring up an interesting point though. I'm now curious what percentage of yards won't allow you to stay in your boat while ashore

Bi111ion

Visit site
You bring up an interesting point though. I'm now curious what percentage of yards won't allow you to stay in your boat while ashore
Well for example Yarmouth IoW explicitly told me without asking. They said its insurance. I asked a boat owner at Buckler's Hard and they said "no way".

MonniotC

Visit site
Admittedly a few years ago, but I used to get my boat craned out annually at Emsworth Marina for a week or so while I antifouled and did other jobs. I often stayed overnight as I live about 50 miles away, and had no problems.

ashtead

Visit site
You might look at Island Harbour-always peaceful there and Richardson’s on site to do any heavy lifting etc. Close to Newport for supplies etc and car parking on site etc.

Hermit

Visit site
I think you will struggle to find any yards that will let you stay on the boat ashore. Maybe a sheltered walk-ashore somewhere (where you can stay on board no problem) and then a lift for a short period to do the jobs that have to be done out of the water. Then you need a marina with lift facilites and plenty of capacity (Darthaven (Dartmouth), Mayflower (Plymouth), QAB (Plymouth) to give 3 Devon examples)

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
I suppose there is nothing to stop you sleeping in your car then. Work on board all day tidy up in the evening, have a meal and then sleep in the car. The whole international cruising community sleep on board during refits, not sure that "insurance" is a calculated excuse.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
My local yard, Hall's, at Walton-on-the-Naze, allows people to live aboard while ashore. However, as others have said, I think it's an exception rather than the rule.

In many yards, you'd be locked in outside business hours.

I think it can be a bit like liveaboards - don't ask, don't tell.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Well, up the Lynher no one seemed to bother with us sleeping on our boat ashore, except during covid crisis when their stated priority was to protect live aboard tenants on the water.

All boat owners had gate dongles to enable us to come and go. Thats the kind of yard you need

Discretion is always prudent. Dont flaunt it and then council and others wont notice or mind.

ashtead

Visit site
Leaving aside the question of a shore berth I wondered if the OP had considered a sublet of a berth in Port Solent ? Clearly handy shops (of a sort) parking for car , cinema and protected basin with generally no access issues . I know of boats from Haslar which have migrated to port Solent due to cheaper rates as a number of sublets available .

owen

Visit site
Multihull Centre in Millbrook Plymouth is your place. They have a live aboard community as well as good yard facilities. They accomadste monohulls
tel Alex on 01752 823900

Last edited:

jwfrary

Visit site
If your looking to stay in the water the river yealm harbour master offers a winter rate for their pontoons

Moodysailor

Visit site
We're on the Dart, all the main yards there (MDL, Darthaven & the soon to be ready Premier) explicitly state no overnight accommodation ashore. I worked in Premier Port Solent about 10 years ago and they didn't allow that then either (we did see a few people sleeping in cars, which was ignored as long as it was done discreetly).

The way I see it, Yards/Marinas are under increasing pressure from many sides (environmental, insurance & council) and will avoid themselves being dragged into a messy situation.

If you want to stay onboard whilst ashore, I definitely advise trying to find one of the smaller yards and maybe, as mentioned above - don't ask, don't tell, and be discreet ;-)

Dolphin boatyard on the Dart is a private one, but I have no idea of their policies, and the pontoon berths are tidal - i'm not sure of too many other yards/marinas there.

Alfie168

Visit site
As long as you are discreet, staying on board in my yard is tolerated. It's not an enclosed yard either so there are no locks and gates. They also have a small shower/toilet block inside a secure area, but there is a pedestrian " squeeze through" access quite deliberately included at the gate to allow out of hours access to the main yard and toilet facilities. I confess it's a godsend at keeping general costs low to be able to stay aboard.