Where to go to get these replacement Volvo fuel lines?

ChasB

Visit site
I've been told by my BSS surveyor that I need to replace the fuel lines that run from the cutoff / tank selector switch to the engine fuel filters. It's the gray braided thing. I've no idea what size / thread these might be, though the inner dia seems to about 15mm.

20210919_164541.jpg

I have a pair of Volvo V8 AQ22Ds. Petrol based. I normally get my engine bits from Keypart, but they tell me they don't stock this and to determine the size by taking the line to a boatyard.

I'm based in London.

Any ideas?

Thanks! ;)

ChasB

Visit site
They're not hydraulic. They're petrol lines. Is that the same thing? For one thing petrol sucks, hydraulics blow.

Last edited:

scottie

Visit site
I think that the construction of the hoses may have changed and that braided outer s not permitted now and you will require dated and petrol approved hose but as I have not worked with them for ten years please check if they were not to BBS they may still be ok ?

Tranona

Visit site
They're not hydraulic. They're petrol lines. Is that the same thing? For one thing petrol sucks, hydraulics blow.
Why does the BSS inspector want them changed? Is it because they are the wrong type or because they are damaged or out of date? AFAIK companies like Pirtek make up these hoses for petrol, diesel or hydraulic - it is having the gear to make them that is immportant.

ChasB

Visit site
His report says
2.10. 2R Are all fuel feed, return and on‐engine hoses suitable for the fuel used and fire resistant?
Fuel feed, return and on‐engine hoses must be marked, to denote both suitability for the fuel used and fire resistance, to BS EN ISO 7840 or an equivalent standard.

I looked this up. For those interested, go to top of page 15 of BSSExaminationCheckingProceduresforPrivatelyOwnedandManagedVessels

To be honest I think it's a trifle pedantic and implies that since marking cannot be clearly displayed every externally braided fuel hose within a vessel needs replacement!

But since the question has now arisen, and as the boat did meet the then-current US Coast Guard standards (albeit in 1981), then maybe it's worth my questioning that? :unsure: The BSS guidelines state "where a hose is not marked to an accepted standard but the boat owner claims suitability the examiner should contact the BSS Office."

Any thoughts on this? The boat is a Carver.

Last edited:

scottie

Visit site
His report says
2.10. 2R Are all fuel feed, return and on‐engine hoses suitable for the fuel used and fire resistant?
Fuel feed, return and on‐engine hoses must be marked, to denote both suitability for the fuel used and fire resistance, to BS EN ISO 7840 or an equivalent standard.

I looked this up. For those interested, go to top of page 15 of BSSExaminationCheckingProceduresforPrivatelyOwnedandManagedVessels

To be honest I think it's a trifle pedantic and implies that since marking cannot be clearly displayed every externally braided fuel hose within a vessel needs replacement!

But since the question has now arisen, and as the boat did meet the then-current US Coast Guard standards (albeit in 1981), then maybe it's worth my questioning that? :unsure: The BSS guidelines state "where a hose is not marked to an accepted standard but the boat owner claims suitability the examiner should contact the BSS Office."

Any thoughts on this? The boat is a Carver.
How old are the pipes or what age is the boat?

Dino

Visit site
I had a similar issue with my Volvo diesels. I had to replace the feed and return hoses connected to the fuel pump.
I bought marine grade fuel hose ISO7840 in a chandlers and brought it to a hydraulic hose company. They cut off the old crimps and reused the original fittings with new crimps. Great job and was 10% of the cost of 4 new hoses from Volvo Penta.
Here’s the spec for the hose https://www.vetus.com/media/magentominds/sasdocument/20190516140339_0.pdf

scottie

Visit site
The boat and these particular lines are from 1981. But that's not the stated reason for the lines failing the BSS.

And thanks for the tip Dino.
lack of date on hose may have caused failure on other surveys I suspect that 20year old hoses are bad enough but they could have bee 30 year old transferred from another boat or 1 year old ditto
petrol safety is essential

prv

Visit site
So without some proof of provenance (like e receipt?) there's really no way of knowing how many times a hose has been used elewhere on another boat...

I don’t know about petrol hose, but cooking gas hose has a manufacture date marked on it for exactly this kind of reason.

Pete

ChasB

Visit site
I had a similar issue with my Volvo diesels. I had to replace the feed and return hoses connected to the fuel pump.
I bought marine grade fuel hose ISO7840 in a chandlers and brought it to a hydraulic hose company. They cut off the old crimps and reused the original fittings with new crimps. Great job and was 10% of the cost of 4 new hoses from Volvo Penta.
Here’s the spec for the hose https://www.vetus.com/media/magentominds/sasdocument/20190516140339_0.pdf

Dino, how much did this cost you?

pandos

Visit site
If you are getting fuel hoses, or fittings for fuel hoses from hydraulic hose suppliers be careful that the internal passages are adequate. I lost a season of sailing and ended up dried out on a mudbank due to engine failure after I got fuel lines made up at a hydraulic place.

It turned out that the orifice was large enough to allow sufficient fuel through to run the engine but not when underway. But once power needed it caused a vacuum in the system which firstly wrecked my fuel pump membrane and when that was replaced drew air in through the next weakness..

Freebee

Visit site
The problem is the inspector must be able to see that the hoses are fuel proof, this is particularly relevant now that fuel chemistry is changing and petrol has now become more agressive to some grades of rubber. hence the need to upgrade I would suggest a visit to a hose maker and see what they can offer.

Dino

Visit site
Dino, how much did this cost you?
I’m in Ireland so it was in euros. I think I paid the guy €30 to make up the new hoses. I supplied the hose which cost around €30 also. The guy in the hydraulic shop reused my old fittings with new crimps on the outside. I gave him another €20 for a few pints. A great can-do attitude whereas some of his colleagues couldn’t be bothered.