Where is it?

Auntie Helen

Visit site
MrC and I out for a little ride today on our trikes and we found these strangely-located starboard marks (and there was another one the other side of the road). Anyone know where they are?

starboardbuoy.jpg

Oh, and don't assume that it must be very near our house. Last week I cycled from NE Colchester to Benfleet in Essex so our rides can be wide-ranging!

Auntie Helen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and there was another one the other side of the road

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope that was a port mark? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And not a clue!

[/ QUOTE ]Nope, it was a Starboard Mark as well! And Ian Poole has it absolutely right! The National Cycle Route 51 goes along this rather unmade road after wending its way through some residential bits of Wivenhoe with pretty badly maintained roads (nearly shook our fillings out).

MrC was delighted to see the buoys. We noticed they had some of those solar powered garden lights on the top - we think that may be an upgrade by the locals /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IanPoole2

Visit site
you can go further along the track from Wivenhoe to Arlesford - past the sailing club - along the river then up Arlesford creek to Ford Lane and then to the Disapointer pub

Auntie Helen

Visit site
Yes, and when you end up at the ford at Arlesford you can discover you've got two punctures in one tyre...

We did that journey coming from Colchester on the Wivenhoe Trail a couple of months ago and discovered that the trail gets too narrow for my trike and it's very rough. I had to have one wheel in the stinging nettles at the side of the track which got rather painful for my feet and arms! We've concluded it's an OK route for a mountain bike but not suitable for a recumbent tricycle. We now cycle from Wivenhoe to Arlesford along the roads, then to Elmstead and then home to Great Bromley, it's much easier on the tyres!

Cobra

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, and when you end up at the ford at Arlesford

[/ QUOTE ]

Please Mrs C...it is Alresford!!

A<u>rle</u>sford I think you will find is in Hants!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Auntie Helen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A<u>rle</u>sford I think you will find is in Hants!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I hang my head in shame. I'm a proofreader and usually a brilliant speller /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a proofreader and usually a brilliant speller /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I - thanks to F7 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I suspect it's broken on sailorman's keyboard /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cantata

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Er...um....Alresford (at any rate, 'New' Alresford) is also in Hants, I don't think there is an Arlesford anywhere.....

Cobra

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Er...um....Alresford (at any rate, 'New' Alresford) is also in Hants, I don't think there is an Arlesford anywhere.....

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, OK, OK...so I am wrong as well! My head is also hung in shame for not checking facts before my fingers hit the keyboard!

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Er...um....Alresford (at any rate, 'New' Alresford) is also in Hants

[/ QUOTE ] Correct, but it is 'New' because it was built more recently (only about 400 years ago) than the original Alresford which is a mile or so away, and older /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yours sincerely,

Comfy Southerner.

Mudplugger

Visit site
Re: Where is it?Re: Billy the Fish.

Have a feeling that if it is the same... Billy died about 97/98.(might have been a bit later)..we had an auction of bits & pieces at the sailing club, and managed to raise a few beer tokens for the family. Nice Guy!