Where is a seaside version of keswick, to move too?

steve yates

Visit site
The place you are describing is not within you geographical limits but Kinsale would meet every other issue, heaven on earth and is only a short drive to the vibrant city of Cork, or if you want cheaper perhaps Youghal.
Important thing is that you would feel welcomed and quickly integrated and you would be staying in the EU, need to move quick though immigration to Ireland is already taking off big time.
That's actually a genius idea! And if it wasn't that we need a uk base for the NHS and jo's ongoing cancer treatment, I would be all over that like a rash!

steve yates

Visit site
Lymington, and anywhere else in Hampshire/Solent is too close to my ex on hauling island for comfort :)
And I reckon Blackpool could be even worse than methyl! Berwick I like, can be quite a violent wee town once the farmer lads get some drink down them tho :)

dunedin

Visit site
Helensburgh - lots of deep water swing moorings, as well as a marina, great walking etc nearby (and close to all medical services)?
Or if partner can be persuaded back to Keswick, it ain’t far time wise by car to the Clyde. That route is one of the more pleasant drives to do (though busy the Lakes bit in mid summer)

Romeo

Visit site
Given your constraints I think you are best to stay out of Scotland, which is a shame because it is where the best sailing is. I would go to Whitby or Amble rather than Tynemouth, probably.

Never been to Essex, but if I was forced to move south to find decent weather, somewhere that I could still muck about in small boats, I would be getting the brochures out for Essex.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Yup, and I actually like Maryport quite a lot, but if I was staying in that area I would be as well in cockermouth or keswick, both are nicer towns. Tynemouth is the current plan, Jo's health may possibly change that by the time we come to move, so I'm looking for nice, warming, sunnyish places as an alternative, in case she is restricted to pottering about a garden and looking at the views.

How about SW Wales? I'm very fond of Milford Haven, though it's a bit down on its uppers (much like Maryport). If I could live anywhere except where I am, that's where I'd go.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
Falmouth. Loads of students so good music and culture. Handy for good walking inland and coastal. Fabulous sailing ground Pasties and Piskies- So not all good. But it’s a proper place in its own right.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

Oh God no. Tayport's quite nice, though.

Falmouth. Loads of students so good music and culture. Handy for good walking inland and coastal. Fabulous sailing ground Pasties and Piskies- So not all good. But it’s a proper place in its own right.

I have met several Falmouth graduates, every one of whom has said that it's an abominable place, crowded with tourists in the summer and dead in the winter. I rather like it, but I've never been for more than a day trip. The statistics back up the gloomy view: some very deprived areas there

ptOfH6M.png

chanelyacht

Visit site
All of Cornwall has some very deprived areas, but then so do most places.

I don't recognise that description of Falmouth, yes, it can get busy in summer (half the time due to students) but certainly isn't "dead" in the winter - unless, I suppose, your viewpoint is of some Damien Hurst wannabe poncing around between their one weekly lecture on post-modernist crayoning.

The maritime side of the Uni is flourishing, and with far less pretentious people.

To answer the OP's original question, it has to be Penzance. Not without it's problems, but a fantastic town.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
All of Cornwall has some very deprived areas, but then so do most places.

Almost all nice seaside places have problems because visitors (a) buy holiday houses, pricing locals out and (b) disappear in the winter, As a result, locals tend to depend on low-paid seasonal work and still can't afford to live there. Cornwall gets it worst because it's such a nice place to go on holiday, but you find the same problems all round the coast.

Like I said, I like Falmouth, and am only reporting what I heard from people who had recently studied there and hated it. Largs and Helensburgh probably seem quite lively to the retired communities there as well.

PS I note in passing that the official list of events in Falmouth for 2019 has nothing in January or February except for a couple of Farmer's Markets and a Repair Cafe. All OK of course, but perhaps not scintillating ...

Rosa

Visit site
We lived in Blackpool for 30 years. Purely due to work. Kept our boat at Fleetwood marina. Great at first but glad to have retired and moved away.

Brixham is a favourite place due to family connections and has much to recommend it for sailing.

Now live in Falmouth and absolutely love it. It's a vibrant town pretty much all year and several weekend events. My favourite is the Sea Shanty Festival weekend and Falmouth Classics.

Good sailing and scenery but not the Fells.