When trailering ???

waynes world

Visit site
Do the outdrives need to be lifted when being trailered ?

this is the VP 270`s on mine.

20201113-095707-1.jpg

Bouba

Visit site
I don’t know about the law but you wouldn’t want to hit a speed bump with the outdrives down. I think that if you do raise them you probably need a red flat or something to warn anyone following too close

ontheplane

Visit site
As above, don’t think it’s the law, but you could be prosecuted if they hit the tarmac and damaged it - but you would absolutely want to - expensive to drag the skeg or prop down the road. Why on earth would you not want to?

Any sharp bits need to be covered in a brightly coloured bag or bucket or something - reflective if towing at night.

And twin engines? Make sure your trailer is rated highly enough, your licence covers you and your tow car is rated to tow it.

What boat is it, and how heavy by the time you add in the trailer and all equipment?

BruceK

Visit site
Treat them like outboards. Absolutely raised. Then supported in the raised position so to take the strain off the transom. It isnt called trailer mode for nothing.

ontheplane

Visit site
So, 2.8 tonnes dry + 200kg of stuff on board = 3000kg

Say there is 50-100 litres of fuel in it 3100kg

Plus the trailer700kg

That's 3800kg - not legal to tow behind a "normal" towcar.

You are into tacho's operators licences, airbrakes etc etc at that weight

ontheplane

Visit site
Other than the Cranchi Perla I am not aware of any twin engine boat (that doesn't mean I am not wrong) that you can trail on a standard trailer without airbrakes etc.

It's why a lot of 28-30' boats still have single engines (well one of the reasons) -- to keep the weight down.

Boat2016

Visit site
Other than the Cranchi Perla I am not aware of any twin engine boat (that doesn't mean I am not wrong) that you can trail on a standard trailer without airbrakes etc.

It's why a lot of 28-30' boats still have single engines (well one of the reasons) -- to keep the weight down.

i was thinking same (wasn’t aware of the Cranchi), must be one of the lightest boats of that size with twin engines if that weight is correct.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Also you need a high viz Prop bag over the Props to comply..... Easily bought on ebay..... Of if a cheapskate buy 2 High viz vests

Bigplumbs

Visit site
The OP is Wayne's world so it is quite possible that a lot of the stuff in the boat has been stripped out and hence it may well be under weight. I think if this is a one off move as I suspect it is and if you strip it out you might get it within weight but you would need something like a Discovery to tow it

BruceK

Visit site
No where have I been able to find a listing which shows this 25 foot boat to be over 2 tons. Depending on engine configuration I have seen as low as 1500kg to a mean of 1800kg and the heaviest at 1950 kg.
These are all specs off for sale info so I suppose none are particularly accurate but the thing is all are well under that 3 ton with trailer limit. Then there is this......safe_image.jpg

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
Also you need a high viz Prop bag over the Props to comply..... Easily bought on ebay..... Of if a cheapskate buy 2 High viz vests

I am not convinced that is correct. I believe you only need that on any part of the boat that extends outside of the trailer. Where the trailer, including trailer board, encompasses the boat it is not needed (this is an opinion only). Our trailer board with illumination and reflective triangles is on extended arms that place it outside the boat perimeter,

Reactions: CLB

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
So, 2.8 tonnes dry + 200kg of stuff on board = 3000kg

Say there is 50-100 litres of fuel in it 3100kg

Plus the trailer700kg

That's 3800kg - not legal to tow behind a "normal" towcar.

You are into tacho's operators licences, airbrakes etc etc at that weight
I think you’re being generous with the weight if the trailer. My Ifor Williams 2.8 tonne trailer weighs 450 kg
I’m not sure what the twin axle boat trailer weighs.
I tow with a Landrover Defender which has a max towing weight of 3.5 tonnes.
Just make sure you destow the boat before you tow? Check on a weighbridge if you want to be absolutely sure.

edit: I appreciate that the 3.5 tonnes limit includes the weight of the trailer!

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

No where have I been able to find a listing which shows this 25 foot boat to be over 2 tons. Depending on engine configuration I have seen as low as 1500kg to a mean of 1800kg and the heaviest at 1950 kg.
These are all specs off for sale info so I suppose none are particularly accurate but the thing is all are well under that 3 ton with trailer limit. Then there is this......View attachment 104601
Google Fairline Fury 26 specifications. Listed as a twin engine boat with a displacement of 2.8 tonnes.

CLB

Visit site
I think you’re being generous with the weight if the trailer. My Ifor Williams 2.8 tonne trailer weighs 450 kg
I’m not sure what the twin axle boat trailer weighs.
I tow with a Landrover Defender which has a max towing weight of 3.5 tonnes.
Just make sure you destow the boat before you tow? Check on a weighbridge if you want to be absolutely sure.

My 3000kg twin axle boat trailer is 600kg and rated to carry 2400kg. When I bought it, the 3500kg trailers were typically rated to carry 2750kg, meaning they weighed around 750kg. You can buy lightweight aluminium trailers that give you an extra few hundred kg of capacity, but they are expensive and Wayne has got what he's got so has to work with that.

Wayne, a question. What does it say on the trailer plate?

CLB

Visit site
Just had a quick gander at Indespension's current range of boat trailers. They offer 4 models with a gross weight of 3500kg. Their carrying capacity is 2200, 2650, 2675 and 2750kg, so it looks like things haven't really changed since I bought mine many years ago.

john_morris_uk

My 3000kg twin axle boat trailer is 600kg and rated to carry 2400kg. When I bought it, the 3500kg trailers were typically rated to carry 2750kg, meaning they weighed around 750kg. You can buy lightweight aluminium trailers that give you an extra few hundred kg of capacity, but they are expensive and Wayne has got what he's got so has to work with that.

Wayne, a question. What does it say on the trailer plate?
Good point. You CAN get steel galvanised trailers that will take 2850 kg.but they’re not cheap. Extreme 3500kg Super Roller Boat Trailer - £5,294.00 : Extreme Marine
And as you say, he has to work with what he’s got. Perhaps he can say what’s on the trailer plate.

I get fussy about these things as I know the police are hot on them. Fortunately the Defender is a great towing vehicle.

CLB

Visit site
These are all specs off for sale info so I suppose none are particularly accurate but the thing is all are well under that 3 ton with trailer limit. Then there is this......

Not a chance. I had a lightweight, 25ft single engine sportsboat and it weighed quite a bit over 2,000kg.