Wheel or tiller on halftonner

Rum Run

Visit site
Hello all, this is a question about Design:
My new-to-me MAB has wheel steering, but the boat was originally designed with a tiller. I have very little experience of wheel steered boats, and do not know if it is really appropriate for this boat and my intended use. I have the opportunity to remove the wheel etc and re-install the tiller gear.

The boat is a Thompson T31, designed the 60's in the Half-Tonner style; Fin and skeg, long overhangs, deep iron keel, masthead rig. Not dissimilar to an Elizabethan 30. The cockpit is quite narrow and the wheel fills the width, so going round it is a bit awkward, though I can steer from in front and use the wheelpilot. Forward view is fine and the helmsman's ergonomics are fine off the wind but unknown to me when beating. I've only done a delivery trip on her and that was downwind all the way.

I mainly sail single-handed, and this boat is for passage making and a bit of club racing on appropriate courses. I tend to sail pro-actively, trying to keep the boat going as well as possible.

So which is the better method of steering this boat for these uses?

Tranona

Visit site
Don't think either is better, although many prefer a tiller as it tends to give more feel. A wheel takes some time to get used to, and presumably as it has been on the boat for many years, previous owners have found it satisfactory, perhaps you should try it for this year and then decide.

Birdseye

Visit site
In general a wheel gives lighter steering through lower gearing measured at the rim and that might be the reason that the steering was originally changed. Its also handy on a beat when racing to be able to sit to leeward all the better to see the genoa telltails.

In port a wheel is a nuisance - cant be folded up and out of the way. Getting out from behind the wheel to moor up single handed is also more of an issue.

In your sort of boat with a narrowish stern I would have thought a tiller was generally easier to live with. If you had a wide stern then there is no question but a big carbon wheel is the thing to have. Like black sails and a 6 inch exhaust on your Clio, it gives great street cred.:encouragement:

IMO the key to single handing is a really good below decks hydraulic autopilot. The rest is less important

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
If I analyse who actually sails my boat my guess the answer would be 90% George the autopilot.
That leaves me the 5% to leave and enter harbours, avoid hitting things and putting George back on the straight and narrow after he has one of his episodes.
If its rough with a quartering sea I'll take over for my own piece of mind and after SWMBO's insistence.

I have tiller on my 3/4 tonner and on those odd occasions I use it I love it except for reversing when I wish I had a wheel.

Spuddy

Visit site
A chum switched to tiller on his Elizabethan 33. Made it easier to fit a tiller pilot and vane gear also less of a contortion to get at it. Worth it on balance.

bbg

Visit site
My first thought is that there is a reason that it was changed. So at least one person thought the boat would be better with a wheel.

Maybe your needs / priorities / sailing style is different and a tiller would be better for you, but in the circumstances I think I would try it with a wheel for a season. If it annoys you, switch over to tiller.