What's yours called?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
On my previous boat it was Keira. After Keira Knightley who proved in Pirates of the Caribbean what a desirable crew member she could be.

On my new boat it hasn't got a name yet. Like the upper classes, I think it's important to get to know a baby before giving it a name based on its character.
Lets hope you don’t name it Hal then.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Autohelm is called George.

Random bit of rope lashing for the tiller is called Eric. (I hadn't realised he was red, maybe because he was actually blue.)

chris-s

Visit site
‘Tilley’ .. the tillerpilot.

We also have Elvis the tender, Mario the Mercury outboard, Gary the Garmin chartplotter….the list goes on!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Our tiller pilot is now called George, and works OK now I have taken a tip from Laminar Flow and modified the flow lines round the rudder and prop. Before that it was Effing useless George

On previous boat we had Raymarine wheel autopilot which we called Eddy - I think because it wanted to go in circles

dansaskip

seabear.uk
My tiller pilot has no name I care to use because it is not a nice bit of kit. However my Monitor Wind vane which has steered me thousands of miles is called Martha and I love her.

jac

Visit site
Those with children will know that Albus Dumbledore is the headmaster at Harry Potters school and a very powerful wizard. So the autohelm steering away by magic was obviously christened ALbus by our children when they were little 10 years ago or so.

Different boat now but the name has stuck.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Those with children will know that Albus Dumbledore is the headmaster at Harry Potters school and a very powerful wizard. So the autohelm steering away by magic was obviously christened ALbus by our children when they were little 10 years ago or so.

Reinforcing the famous viewpoint (from Arthur C. Clarke) that a sufficiently advanced technology is, to a naïve observer, indistinguishable from magic!

RobbieW

Visit site

PFM, thats pure & magic with the f being anything you want it to be ;)

Humblebee

Visit site
Thanks all, some one of the funniest threads I've read for some time!
George seems to be a popular name, thanks for those who put forward reasons for this, but I've had quite a few chuckles at some of the more imaginative offerings.
Keep them coming!