What's your initial MOB procedure?

what's the closest to your procedure?

• Immediately head into wind, stop the boat however quickest, then the rest

Votes: 28 96.6%
  • Mark MOB on plotter, send DSC MOB alert, get boat and crew ready for recovery, then maneuver

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Some time ago there was a article in PBO where a boat owner had rigged a setup that could put the help hard over to port or starboard depending on the tack of the boat

Don't know how effective that would be in stopping the boat or getting the boat to circle around the single hander MOB.

Having a MOB tag this could also be attached to this device and to the DS button of my VHF. It could also be connected to a MOB button on an AIS transponder.

All you then need is a PLB to put all alarms currently available

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
This is probably thread drift and needs a whole new post but there's already been mention of single handers so I don't feel too guilty.
What precautions do solo sailors take in the event of going overboard. Lifejacket at all times? harness and tether when leaving cockpit? epirb worn at all times? Trailng line with float that is somehow rigged to release mainsheet or similar if you manage to grab it? There's maybe some wisdom out there that we can all learn from and hadn't thought of ourselves.

I have an Ocean Signal MOB-1 AIS device that auto triggers when the LJ inflates, and also a PLB fitted to the LJ. The LJ is a Spinlock 6D with the Harness Release System, so if I am being dragged I can pull the carabiner and the tether will be released.

My wife and childrens LJs have AIS MOB-1s fitted, but not PLB's as they will not be sailing without me on board !

Every LJ has a Duncan Wells lifesaver to aid pickup.

This lot wasn't cheap, but as others have said the investment in safety is important.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
My first boat had external clip-on type autopilots so I used to lead a long floating rope from a hard point, under the autopilot then over the rail into the sea. I figured that If I could grab it, the autopilot would be disengaged and the boat would probably stop (high aspect fin keel & unbalanced rudder).

I don't have any such solution for the current boat, but when conditions are iffy I keep the PLB in my oilies pocket. On the first boat I also eventually fitted roller furling so no longer had to go forrard to change sails every ten minutes. (Only every couple of hours to free the jams in the furling gear...)

We also have inbuilt buoyancy liners in our waterproofs, so do tend to be a little slack on wearing lifejackets, which does mean that we'd have a chance to swim towards the boat or a lifebuoy. In real heavy weather lj are worn when on deck, but I'm prepared to ditch that if required to swim.
_____

We have a good ladder at the stern, with a grab rope to lower the underwater section, so any conscious casualty should be able to climb aboard. I also have a handybilly in the cockpit locker which would permit crew to haul out a large unconscious person. (Note to self: Must practice this!)
_____

But, what about when running under kite? Cast off the whole sail or just the sheet/guy? Current boat only has a single downhaul on the pole and I have visions of the pole disconnecting itself from the mast and causing all manner of mayhem. (Mast fitting comes off the track when unloaded - no sign of wear, it is just how it was designed...)

Martin_J

Visit site
I have an Ocean Signal MOB-1 AIS device that auto triggers when the LJ inflates, and also a PLB fitted to the LJ. The LJ is a Spinlock 6D with the Harness Release System, so if I am being dragged I can pull the carabiner and the tether will be released.

My wife and childrens LJs have AIS MOB-1s fitted, but not PLB's as they will not be sailing without me on board !

Every LJ has a Duncan Wells lifesaver to aid pickup.

This lot wasn't cheap, but as others have said the investment in safety is important.

Maybe I should start another thread asking the question, but I wonder how many people test all their MOB1s (all three tests) to confirm the DSC message is received on the main vessel VHF, and that the position appears on the chart plotter.

I put a couple of videos in the other thread showing how quick the DSC alert is and how the AIS alert shows on the plotter.

Ocean Safety MOB1

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Maybe I should start another thread asking the question, but I wonder how many people test all their MOB1s (all three tests) to confirm the DSC message is received on the main vessel VHF, and that the position appears on the chart plotter.

I put a couple of videos in the other thread showing how quick the DSC alert is and how the AIS alert shows on the plotter.

Ocean Safety MOB1

Beneteau381

Visit site
Probably because I've never been fully loaded with electronics or had much crew I thought the best thing to do was hard over immediately to keep the distance as small as possible. Throw a life boy or rope if close enough, see if they are swimming to me, if not turn the boat to get them. On a recent MOB training I was a bit puzzled by the choice to fiddle with all the electronics and get recovery stuff ready first before any maneuvering to stop the boat getting further away. Not surprisingly the fender was an occasionally visible speck by the time the boat was turned.

Anyway I didn't think much of it until recent discussions on people going over the side while tethered. This coded boat had jack stays running up the side decks as usual so it had the real risk of someone being dragged face first through the water at 7-8 miles an hour. So on this boat when someone shouts "MAN OVER BOARD" the person in charge needs to shout back "ARE THEY ON A TETHER?" and then change the MOB procedure accordingly. Not ideal.

So I was wondering what others do and why
Me and the bride, so chuck all the stuff over immediately, reason? Gives a bigger more visible target, and hard over for crash stop. Then sort stuff out to motor back.

penberth3

Visit site
........We have a good ladder at the stern, with a grab rope to lower the underwater section, so any conscious casualty should be able to climb aboard. I also have a handybilly in the cockpit locker which would permit crew to haul out a large unconscious person. (Note to self: Must practice this!).........

You make it sound easy! What would you fasten to on an unconscious person, and how would you do this?

Bathdave

Visit site
We sail two handed and if it’s me that goes over (most likely) Ee have concluded the usual RYA stuff is useless …can’t expect my wife to simultaneously keep eyes on, throw danbuoys, hit MOB button on plotter, tack, drop sails ..etc etc

our plan is ..

1.. heaves too immediately and assess, does she have eyes on

2…hit mob button to create a fix

3. …try and make verbal /eye contact …am I conscious, has lj inflated

4. ..start engine and try and reverse closer (still in hove to)

5... and get a line to me, taking care with engine in gear

after that it’s use judgement and call for help

jac

Visit site
We sail two handed and if it’s me that goes over (most likely) Ee have concluded the usual RYA stuff is useless …can’t expect my wife to simultaneously keep eyes on, throw danbuoys, hit MOB button on plotter, tack, drop sails ..etc etc

our plan is ..

1.. heaves too immediately and assess, does she have eyes on

2…hit mob button to create a fix

3. …try and make verbal /eye contact …am I conscious, has lj inflated

4. ..start engine and try and reverse closer (still in hove to)

5... and get a line to me, taking care with engine in gear

after that it’s use judgement and call for help
I like this approach but it raises a question for me.

How many boats have engines that can be started from the helm - even more so if keeping eyes on the casualty.

Mine can't - if engine battery is off then i need to go into aft cabin & turn on, then fiddle around under the bridge deck pressing engine start buttons. That makes the crash stop even more important. If one is stationary then taking 20 seconds to start the engine is not an issue.

smert

Visit site
I like this approach but it raises a question for me.

How many boats have engines that can be started from the helm - even more so if keeping eyes on the casualty.

Mine can't - if engine battery is off then i need to go into aft cabin & turn on, then fiddle around under the bridge deck pressing engine start buttons. That makes the crash stop even more important. If one is stationary then taking 20 seconds to start the engine is not an issue.
Ours starts from the helm. The engine battery is on when we are onboard.

For those who are short handed and have a chance of recovering the MOB, I would think that a DSC emergency call would be likely to generate a whole lot of noise from the Coastguard just when you are trying to get a plan together and implemented. Having to faff about telling the CG how to spell your boat name for the 3rd time and working out if you are 1 person on board or do they include the Mob as a person on board will eat up valuable brain cycles!

Having been part of a real CG incident recently I really think that whoever came up with the script /questions they ask needs to be put into a situation where they see it from the "customers" side.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk

jlavery

Visit site
I'm a convert to "MOB circles". Often teaching couples, so only one person left on board.

• Crash tack and lock helm over
  • DSC distress button - prepare self to ignore radio responses until in a position to do so.
  • While boat is going round and round, sheet main hard in and furl headsail, at appropriate points in circle.
  • Start engine
  • Take stock, deep breath, calm down, and now go into recovery mode/process
Key points:
  • Boat is stopped immediately
  • Boat remains close to casualty, so can communicate with them and throw stuff if needed
  • If radio down below, DSC distress after sails under control
  • Having the boat under control and not moving away from casualty gives time for planning without panic.
One key point I've observed is that this techniqur reduces the overload on the person on board. They're not having to think about boat positioning while also doing DSC call etc.

capnsensible

Visit site
I'm a convert to "MOB circles". Often teaching couples, so only one person left on board.

• Crash tack and lock helm over
  • DSC distress button - prepare self to ignore radio responses until in a position to do so.
  • While boat is going round and round, sheet main hard in and furl headsail, at appropriate points in circle.
  • Start engine
  • Take stock, deep breath, calm down, and now go into recovery mode/process
Key points:
  • Boat is stopped immediately
  • Boat remains close to casualty, so can communicate with them and throw stuff if needed
  • If radio down below, DSC distress after sails under control
  • Having the boat under control and not moving away from casualty gives time for planning without panic.
One key point I've observed is that this techniqur reduces the overload on the person on board. They're not having to think about boat positioning while also doing DSC call etc.
Agree. It's a quick and easy technique. Quite an eye opener when demonstrated. Plus as long as the main gets sheeted hard in quickly, can be done from any point of sail.

My only difference is that I get them to start engine before furling headsail. In case it doesn't!

greeny

Visit site
Amazing what posts on here can prompt you to think about and try.
Normally when sailing I'm on the the tiller but if I have to go below or forward I slip the tillerpilot on for a few minutes. This is the risk time for me as if I was going to go overboard it would be from the deck probably not the cockpit. In the winter I modded the tillerpilot with a remote control circuit to allow me to steer from a remote position with a small pushbutton keyfob control.
I need to test the distance that controller will work from and if it's range is sufficient, maybe 20/30 mtrs minimum, I can put it in a small waterproof bag around my neck. If I go over and have my wits about me, maybe I can use it to push the helm down or use the tack function to tack the boat and at least slow it down or even stop her so I can get back onboard. Better a slight chance of stopping the boat than no chance at all.

jlavery

Visit site
Agree. It's a quick and easy technique. Quite an eye opener when demonstrated. Plus as long as the main gets sheeted hard in quickly, can be done from any point of sail.

My only difference is that I get them to start engine before furling headsail. In case it doesn't!
Yes, a real "aha!" when I 1st saw it. Assessor said "have you seen this way?" on my commercial revalidation on my long keeled SCOD. Worked well with her and with fin keeled boats. They all behave differently, but I've found it very effective.

Agree about when to start engine, and other comment on cancelling autohelm - vital that everyone knows how to do that.

penberth3

Visit site
Good point! Time to go shopping, Or rather, to make a copy as I have the facilitiess to do so. I reckon making the middle negatively bouyant might give you the best chance of getting it around someone:

Survivor - Man Overboard ( MOB ) Harness & Training Strop

I still think you're being optimistic. IMHO with anything less than a full-body fall arrest/recovery harness (already worn, of course) you're going to struggle to pick up an unconscious MOB. Actually, you're going to fail! Try out your solution with a 100kg life-size dummy.
1689521781011.png