What's this?

jamesjermain

Visit site
A Silhouette

This is almost certainly a Silhouette, MkII or later, designed by Robert Tucker and originally built in ply. MkIIs were built in GRP. Later grew in size to 19ft, I think (from 17ft). Thousands were built from kits of parts, plans, and bare hulls. One of the many designs from the 50s and 60s which got Britain afloat in the first great sailing boom. Co9mpetent sailing and rudimentary accommodation for weekending.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

aitchw

Visit site
Re: A Silhouette

I thought they were all hard chine hulls which was the cause of my confusion but the sheerline is very Silhouette from the photos I've seen.

I am considering buying her as a first foray into cruising. I sail dinghies which don't endear themselves to the rest of my family. I'm hoping they might feel less exposed in something like this. What do you think? I don't have much to spend.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site

You could do a lot worse. For their size they are safe and seaworthy. Most Silhouettes are getting a bit long in the tooth now so you may be facing a bit of a restoration project or else have to accept living with a bit of tattiness. But you shouldn't have to spend more than £1,500 to get one in reasonable nick.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

aitchw

Visit site

Thanks, James. I guess that's about what this will have cost by the time I have repaired/restored her but she will look pretty good and be well rigged by then. She won't have loads of electronics but then she will only be used inshore (Loch Torridon) for the time being.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
I must bow to your superior knowledge James but...

..the word "Ballerina" came to mind when I first saw the picture.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

We have 2 mark IIs PM if you want a chat
Both ours have hard chines
one is GRP other ply. The GRP is in a sorry state after being left with the boat yard ( long story)

They are good ,little boats. The interior is bit cramped and not very warm but the bilge keels allow your to dry out .

James J as ever is perfectly correct our refurbed ply one cost £1500 and was ready to sail in good condition. In my experience main things to watch for are the cracks on the wooden masts. Leaks around the windows and that the engine mounting is secure and keels are sound. These have been our main failures.

good luck they are great little boats.

regards
sailbad

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>By 'eck the sun is out</font color=red>

jamesjermain

Visit site
Re: I must bow to your superior knowledge James but...

I'm by no means infallible, but I think the Ballerina was larger (21ft) and had a different coachroof. I agree, though, the hull profile is very similar.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

jamesjermain

Visit site

Take your point about hard chine, Andrew, but the Caprice had a flat sheer and different superstructure. Did the Silhouette go round bilge after converting to GRP. I believe this may be so but I'm not sure.

One thing this discussion shows, is what a busy little beever Robert Tucker was in those days.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

i would put money it being a silhouette. i am fairly certain it is not a caprice.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>By 'eck the sun is out</font color=red>

qsiv

Visit site
Re: What\'s this?

I'd agree the II's were hard chine - as far as I know the III had the first round bilge hull, albeit with the old deck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

aitchw

Visit site
Re: What\'s this?

Thanks, everyone. The soia site has pretty well confirmed she is a mark III Silhouette.

Now it only remains to be seen just how little I can buy her for. Time to haggle big time.

Thanks

Howard

<hr width=100% size=1>