Whats the make if my boat please, and value roughly ?

elioti

Visit site
Hi there, could someone please tell me the make of my boat , and a rough idea of value please? Is a 42ft GRP houseboat , hull and topsides good, just refitting the inside, not sure how to add a pic, if someone could tell me please:) Was built in 1982 that's all I know. Many thanks

Tranona

Visit site
Impossible to say - even with a photo. Houseboats have little value unless they come with a residential mooring.

elioti

Visit site
Hi there, could someone please tell me the make of my boat , and a rough idea of value please? Is a 42ft GRP houseboat , hull and topsides good, just refitting the inside, not sure how to add a pic, if someone could tell me please:) Was built in 1982 that's all I know. Many thanks

Impossible to say - even with a photo. Houseboats have little value unless they come with a residential mooring.

Attachments

• IMG_20150918_145651018_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150918_145651018_HDR.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

elioti

Visit site
Surely a mooring doesn't make much of a difference, there are plenty about. A surveyor will value it when have one, and won't ask about mooring

ripvan1

Visit site
I think Tranona when mentioning a residential mooring meant walk ashore, mains power and possibly water, as you say plenty of moorings available but residential moorings are at a premium.

Tranona

Visit site
Surely a mooring doesn't make much of a difference, there are plenty about. A surveyor will value it when have one, and won't ask about mooring

You don't say where it is located. A houseboat with a mooring in the London area has a completely different value from the same boat on a swinging mooring on a Scottish loch.

Best thing you can do is is do a bit of research on line and see what others are asking for similar boats, although there are simply so many variables that expect you will get a wide range. However you might be able to find something sufficiently similar to see whether it is thousands or tens of thousands.

elioti

Visit site
Thanks for replies . I've a residential mooring in Brittany for her, though is currently in the Salcombe estuary. She is an old salcombe houseboat that was rented out for holidays , have an old brochure, in 2001, cost over £800 a week to stay on her. Have been told must wait 7.5 years for a deep water mooring here, even though have been local for over 30 years. Incidentally, the newer houseboats that just left this harbour were rented out for £3,000 a week high season, with some properties renting for £9,500 a week here. Not so many options to live on her this way, probably just easier and much cheaper to put her in France!

charles_reed

Visit site
Thanks for replies . I've a residential mooring in Brittany for her, though is currently in the Salcombe estuary. She is an old salcombe houseboat that was rented out for holidays , have an old brochure, in 2001, cost over £800 a week to stay on her. Have been told must wait 7.5 years for a deep water mooring here, even though have been local for over 30 years. Incidentally, the newer houseboats that just left this harbour were rented out for £3,000 a week high season, with some properties renting for £9,500 a week here. Not so many options to live on her this way, probably just easier and much cheaper to put her in France!

Sounds like it's a good idea to rent it out.

If you could get a good French holiday mooring @ say £600/week for 10 weeks a year - marketing the boat-hire say £2000, rental £730pa, somebody keeping an eye on it £1250 so it's worth about £2000pa.

Alternatively, if you could get a permanaent mooring in Regents canal you could sell it for £85-125K. Any purchaser would scrap the boat and put something more luxurious there.

So, as Tranona is trying to say, not much as an outright sale, more a calculation of the use to which you could put it and the income coming from that use.

AndrewB

Visit site
This boat looks rather like it was designed as a commercial day-tripper. It is very different from the usual type of yacht discussed on this forum, which gives us difficulty putting either a make or a price to it.

Probably closest would be a canal narrowboat (see the Thames Forum). A narrowboat of this age and size, in good condition with a working inboard engine and comfortable liveaboard facilities, might have an asking price of £20,000. Of course most narrowboats are steel rather than GRP, but I doubt that would make a lot of difference. However because your boat is unorthodox I suspect it would be worth rather less, and it does look as if it is going to need quite a bit of work to convert it to a good liveaboard.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
This boat looks rather like it was designed as a commercial day-tripper. It is very different from the usual type of yacht discussed on this forum, which gives us difficulty putting a price to it.

Probably closest would be a canal narrowboat (see the Thames Forum). A narrowboat of this age and size, in good condition with a working inboard engine and comfortable liveaboard facilities, might have an asking price of £20,000. Of course most narrowboats are steel rather than GRP, but I doubt that would make a lot of difference. However because your boat is unorthodox I suspect it would be worth rather less, and it does look as if it is going to need quite a bit of work to convert it to a good liveaboard.

Good luck!

The problem with this boat is will be a wide beam, so although the comparison with a narrow boat has some validity, its use in the UK is severely limited for residential or even cruising as it can't get into most of the canal system.

These restrictions don't of course apply in France as their canals are wider and it looks far more suited for warmer climates. Expensive job getting it there though as it would not be safe by sea. Lifts and transport would be around £5k.

elioti

Visit site
The problem with this boat is will be a wide beam, so although the comparison with a narrow boat has some validity, its use in the UK is severely limited for residential or even cruising as it can't get into most of the canal system.

These restrictions don't of course apply in France as their canals are wider and it looks far more suited for warmer climates. Expensive job getting it there though as it would not be safe by sea. Lifts and transport would be around £5k.

Thanks, yes quite expensive taking to France by road, she has an outboard bracket so considered using an outboard, though a touch risky as just over 100 miles to roscoff from here. Have crossed a few times on my other boat, perhaps OK on a flat day, though have been trying to find someone to tow it , with a fishing boat perhaps, though finding someone isn't easy due to insurance issues. Its a shame we are so restricted in this country for moorings, looking like France will be the best place for her.

Artic Warrior

Visit site
The hull looks like a carribean 39 I know this because I lived on a horizon 35 and its the same boat just bigger.
The carribean had the engine in the stern across the boat and fed the gearbox by hydraulic pipes.
But you say its 42 ?

syneraida

syneraida.com
Bit off topic, but.... I couldn't believe it when I saw the picture. I had a holiday (and my 14th birthday) with my father and brother on this exact boat 20 years ago in Salcombe estuary (the bag). What a blast from the past!!

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Bit off topic, but.... I couldn't believe it when I saw the picture. I had a holiday (and my 14th birthday) with my father and brother on this exact boat 20 years ago in Salcombe estuary (the bag). What a blast from the past!!

I'm sure there is some kind of "gotcha" waiting for me here ............ but how do you know that your holiday was on that exact boat when the name of it does not appear to be visible in the photo? :confused:

Richard

syneraida

syneraida.com
I'm sure there is some kind of "gotcha" waiting for me here ............ but how do you know that your holiday was on that exact boat when the name of it does not appear to be visible in the photo? :confused:

Richard

Ok, to be fair I don't know that it's the same boat, but it looks exactly as I remember, including shape, colour and top deck for sunbathing, also the location is right. I'll ask my dad if he has any pictures and see if i can post some, he might even know what the name was.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Ok, to be fair I don't know that it's the same boat, but it looks exactly as I remember, including shape, colour and top deck for sunbathing, also the location is right. I'll ask my dad if he has any pictures and see if i can post some, he might even know what the name was.

That makes sense. It would be interesting to see what she looked like 20 years ago when she was in her prime. :)

Richard

dombuckley

Visit site
She looks like a Horizon 42, big sister to the 35 (pictured below): note they share the distinctive chine. Most were built by Horizoncraft of Acle, with another couple by Bridgecraft and Richardsons: most are still in hire fleets, surviving 30 old years of being driven by cack-handed grockles, so they must be pretty robust! "Clifton Bridge" hasn't been seen since 1998, so I wonder if she is your boat.

southern%20horizon%201.jpg

As regards value, that would vary widely depending on her structural condition and state of the interior fit-out. A powered one could be anything between £30-35K for a really nice one, down to £12-15K for complete dog. A static one would be somewhat less.