Whats a First 300 spirit and how does that fit into the Beneteau range?

ifoxwell

Visit site
Following on from my thread looking at cruiser / racers to single hand I've come across another design i know nothing about.... can some one enlighten me?

ifoxwell

Visit site
Hi Dunedin
Thanks for posting, I guess that tells us something, not the least of which is that it must have been a commercial flop.
Have you ever seen one or raced against one.... are they really as fast as they say and as the NHC base numbers suggest?
Ian

Tranona

Visit site
Hardly a flop with 225 built in only 3 years. Many builders at the time would have given their eye teeth for that level of sales. However, probably very few made it to the UK.

andyxs

Visit site
They are cracking little boats, Hull based on the Figaro line and evolved into the 31.7. My uncle has one and has won most things in his area with it, It surfs at the drop of a hat goes upwind well and is a good all round boat. I would buy it off him if I had the money. Just a little less comfortable than the 31.7

ifoxwell

Visit site
Hi andyyxs
Can I ask how he gets on with the engine, from a cruising perspective. 9hp seems to be the standard fit which would be fine on a racing yacht were it just has to get you to the race course and back but as its literally half as powerful as the engines normally fitted to yachts of this size?
Cheers
Ian

andyxs

Visit site
The engine is OK more power is always better but it gets by, 5knts cruising speed but it sails well so motorsailing is often an option.