Whatever happened to Burnham?

Tam Lin

Visit site
Back in the day I walked across the river at low tide at South Woodham Ferrers without getting water in my wellies. I have also canoed beyond Battlesbridge, quiet unless the folk from the caravan site are on the water!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Roy Hart (well known local: bon vivant, adventurer, raconteur and entrepeneur), managed to get 'Victory' (the ex-Peter de Savary 12 metre) right up to Battlesbridge, albeit with the aid of a couple of tractors to pull her through the mud on the final reaches.

She draws 2.72 metres.

I remember her hard aground on the horse during one Burnham week where it was just downstream of the start line!

PeterWright

Visit site
Most Dutch marinas are non tidal and access relies on the excellent system of canals and locks which is funded from commercial shipping, sea defence budgets and other routes. The cost difference, both for building and maintaining a tidal harbour is much higher than for a non tidal one. This accounts, at least in part, for the difference in pricing.

Another difference, already mentioned is the prevalence of club owned berthing in Holland. Prices for these should be compared with those at, for example, the RHYC pontoons outside their clubhouse.

I write this in the glorious sunshine in Enkhuizen Buitenhaven, watching the world go by for 22 Euros per night (12.7m).

DanTribe

Visit site
I remember her hard aground on the horse during one Burnham week where it was just downstream of the start line!
Are you sure that wasn't Richard Matthews's Crusader?
I can remember Pile House race box asking him to drop his mainsail because he was aground and obscuring the start line.

pks1702

Visit site
Brandy Hole, Hullbridge / South Woodham Ferrers, Hayes Farm caravan site but that is about as far as it goes. I wouldn't go round the bend after the caravan site in anything other than a dinghy at least not if you want to come out again.

Some try but need a tow off the 'putty'
IMG_5921-L.jpg

IMG_5926-L.jpg

Big and small make it!
IMG_5936-L.jpg

IMG_5930-L.jpg

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
I think there are two questions here. The first about demographics and boating the second about Burnham specifically.

There is no doubt in my mind that cruiser sailing is having the same problem as golf. For young families it takes up too much time, is too difficult to get into and just not on the radar - even for many who have gone through cadet programmes when young.

This can be seen in how hard it is to sell 70s and 80s yachts of under 30 foot and how cheaply you can buy them if you are careful. This is only going to get worse as demographics and competing leisure activities take further hold.

With regard to Burnham, I suspect a lot of this is a reflection of the above in an area where the supply is now an over supply. I kept a boat in BYH for a season and then discovered Paglesham where swinging moorings are a fraction of the price. Clearly, they haven't changed their prices in line with the dropping demand.

I might try class 6 in Burnham week again this year with Maestro, not having done it for about 6 years.

DavidofMersea

Visit site
For young families it takes up too much time, is too difficult to get into and just not on the radar - even for many who have gone through cadet programmes when young.

What has changed? Sailing takes up as much time as it always did, and as you say, boats 40 or 50 years old are much cheaper than they ever were, and being fibreglass, have not usually deteriorated as much old wooden boats.

Also this seems to be a Burnham problem, I don't think this is happening elsewhere

chinita

Visit site
What has changed? Sailing takes up as much time as it always did, and as you say, boats 40 or 50 years old are much cheaper than they ever were, and being fibreglass, have not usually deteriorated as much old wooden boats.

Also this seems to be a Burnham problem, I don't think this is happening elsewhere

What has changed is the desires of the young.

Have you not seen the travel app ad on TV? The one where the young couple, bored watching the box and eating junk food, google something and the next thing is - they are in Barca, spending their money in a boutique hotel.

You don't see them jumping up, donning overalls and getting stuck into anti-fouling a bilge keeler in a wet and muddy east coast boatyard.

FullCircle

Visit site

Everyone is having to work longer hours and wage growth has not kept pace with cost of living. Added to the huge increase in house costs and rent, then it is no surprise that sailing slips down the list a bit.
The older boats are cheap, but faces with the cost of mooring exceeding cost of boat per year, and never quite knowing if that rigging/engine/etc is going to fail?
Besides, modern families want modern facilities - like headroom, toilets, etc.

I have been astonished at the level of public waterside activity in Brightlingsea, which coupled with the very reasonably priced facilities and amenities, means that families go there for the day.
What public facilities have Burnham setup?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There is no doubt in my mind that cruiser sailing is having the same problem as golf. For young families it takes up too much time, is too difficult to get into and just not on the radar - even for many who have gone through cadet programmes when young.

Also if a young family - if anyone, really - wants to go sailing for a couple of weeks they can charter somewhere warm and sunny for much less than the cost of owning their own boat, without the feeling that having bought the boat they have to sail it and without the hassle of maintenance.

I strongly suspect that the amount of recreational sailing going on is increasing, even though boat ownership is decreasing.

MagicalArmchair

Visit site
We are a young (err, well ish) family - I'm 35, Liz 31, Thomas 4, Sophie and Sea dog Patch both are 1, and went cruising up the East Coast for circa three weeks. Suffolk was far more kiddie and dog friendly than (to be fair) the only Essex port we visited, which was Tollesbury. I have many fond memory's of Tollesbury, the little beach and lido, the pool etc from when I was a child, however, it was a bit of a nightmare for us as a family.

We arrived and ran aground just outside the bar (we were in the middle of the channel, however, little did I realise, the deep water was slightly to port :eek:), the dog had been crossing its legs all the way from the Medway and was a bit alarmed by me diving this way and that to grab the kedge anchor, jump in the dinghy and kedge us off the mud. I radioed in to the marina (to let them know where we were and potentially get a tow before the tide started ebbing :rolleyes: and to ask where the deep water was), and got no response. Worried doggies needing the loo woof, and he did woof (it was circa 8:30pm). As we entered, the harbour master was sitting on his boat and shrugged at us as we went past saying he was off duty, and that's why he didn't offer any advice (as to where the deep water was) or help . We went in to the office the next day full of the joys of summer to pay the bill (a very reasonable £20 a night), and got a sound, very condescending telling off by the harbour master for the dog barking so late at night. I wouldn't mind if it was just me there, but my wife was there too and she took it very personally and was terrified of the dog making so much as a whimper for the rest of our stay. I have no problem with a complaint being passed on, its the way in which it is delivered. Other berth holders loved the dog and suggested they knew who the complaint would have come from and it was a single place.

The yacht club doesn't let dogs inside (which is understandable) or even outside at the back, and children felt a bit frowned upon. Dogs are allowed outside in the front, however there is no shade (so that didn't work for the kids and turned our dinner into a complete fiasco, dog eating the first mates dinner when she tried to shelter the kiddies from the sun in the shade of the building sitting on the ground, children screaming, skipper and first mate falling out :encouragement: - great). I want to go back and try again, Julian, the MD there was lovely and gave a very good impression when I called ahead, although after our frankly disastrous first visit, its going to be a hard sell on the 1st mate...

nGCBXh0l.jpg

N4S8puvl.jpg

Sign... what sign?

ioGgJ1ul.jpg

Back to the subject matter, we used to always stop at Burnham on our summer cruises, but were disappointed last time we visited err, 2 years ago, and have not returned since. The marina was nice, it just the town felt very dead even then, lacking in atmosphere.

Suffolk was a different matter, at Suffolk Yacht Harbour, dogs were allowed in the yacht club (he just goes to sleep under the table and is no trouble), and there was a very different, very kind and welcoming atmosphere to kiddies so they relax and behave. As, in fact, was everywhere else in Suffolk we went (Woodbridge, Woolverstone, Ramsholt) meaning next time we will likely head straight up to the Orwel, which is a great shame.

NickC

Visit site
Interesting that this thread has appeared at this particular time.

It was only a few weeks ago that I was having a beer with an ex long-term resident of Burnham. From the stories he was telling, he made it sound like there has been so much back-stabbing all the local residents are walking around with knives in their backs.

Now as some of you know I do have reasons to have a personal gripe with certain people and a particular boat-yard in Burnham who got caught-out stealing from me, but that aside. It is beginning to sound like it is not just me, the whole Burnham, let's try and tax anyone who is not a Burnhamite and a member of the Burnham lodge attitude seems to have a lot to do with the current attitude in the area.

Must be something in the water!

NealB

Visit site
Interesting that this thread has appeared at this particular time.

It was only a few weeks ago that I was having a beer with an ex long-term resident of Burnham. From the stories he was telling, he made it sound like there has been so much back-stabbing all the local residents are walking around with knives in their backs.

Now as some of you know I do have reasons to have a personal gripe with certain people and a particular boat-yard in Burnham who got caught-out stealing from me, but that aside. It is beginning to sound like it is not just me, the whole Burnham, let's try and tax anyone who is not a Burnhamite and a member of the Burnham lodge attitude seems to have a lot to do with the current attitude in the area.

Must be something in the water!

I've lived in Burnham for six years now, having spent the previous ten years in west Devon, and the five years before that on the Isle of Man.

I find Burnham to be a friendly, welcoming, town, with a strong community spirit, and many good, warm-hearted, helpful, people.

It is certainly facing some big challenges right now, as discussed in some of the posts in this thread, but I love living here.

I genuinely don't relate to Nick's comments at all: in fact, they strike me as needlessly unpleasant.

In particular, just for the record, I do not know anyone who is:

- walking around with a knife in their back

- trying to tax non-Burnhamites (I don't even know what you mean by that Nick)

- a member of any 'lodge' (I write as a life-long hater of fraternal organisations such as the masons)

Maybe I am naive, and blind to what is going on around me, or, perhaps, Nick, you are mixing in the wrong circles.

Last edited:

DanTribe

Visit site
I like Burnham, I think it has a special character.
There are a few places that I don't like, so I just stay away, no need to run them down or get other people to agree with me.

NickC

Visit site
I've lived in Burnham for six years now, having spent the previous ten years in west Devon, and the five years before that on the Isle of Man.
It is certainly facing some big challenges right now, as discussed in some of the posts in this thread, but I love living here.
or, perhaps, Nick, you are mixing in the wrong circles.

Obviously not intended to refer to everyone in Burnham, although I have to admit the way I worded my message did suggest that. There are some very nice people there, I know, some of them are good friends.

Was referring to what might best be referred to as the 'Burnham Establishment', those who have been there for many years, the sort who put themselves on as many local committees as possible. Those who might be described as having control freakery tendencies. Some of whom not surprisingly have connections with the boatyard in question.

Fair to say the conversation in question was discussing the particular boatyard, various committees and well mostly people that we had both known over the previous twenty years. So yes a limited group but a limited group of the Burnham Establishment.

I find Burnham a friendly, welcoming, town, with a strong community spirit, and good, warm-hearted, helpful, people.
Now I would certainly have agreed with you ten or twenty years ago but have to say that's not my recent experiences of the place, but that's just me.

I genuinely don't relate to Nick's comments at all: in fact, they strike me as needlessly unpleasant.
Neal, surely you remember the situation of the little boat with the BIG engine don't you? I will admit maybe I have a reason to feel a little unpleasant towards a certain group of Burnhamites, maybe you would even agree it is a good reason?

However maybe it's not just me. Listening to stories of other things that have happened down there it does make one think about the behaviour of what I will describe as the 'Burnham Establishment'. Others have described them as the 'Burnham Mafia' but lets go with the less controversial description.

Remember the person, who we both know, who was assaulted by the Burnham Establishment for not behaving as they told him to on that committee. They didn't like anyone standing-up for what was fair and right.

Now just to be clear, I am obviously only referring to a small sub-set of the total population of Burnham, clearly not intending to tar all with the same brush.

trying to tax non-Burnhamites (I don't even know what you mean by that Nick)
Remember the theft of the mooring chain, probably best described as conspiracy to defraud, involving a member of the Burnham Establishment and a local boatyard? Can't remember if you read that thread with the pictures of the mooring chain or not.

Maybe I am naive, and blind to what is going on around me,
Or maybe you just choose to associate with the nice people, life is easier that way when we have a choice.:encouragement: Perhaps you're lucky and you haven't encountered the other side of Burnham behaviour yet.

I'd be interested in your opinion, why do you think Burnham Week is now merely a shadow of the Burnham Week's of twenty years ago?

NealB

Visit site
maybe you just choose to associate with the nice people, life is easier that way when we have a choice.:encouragement:

I'd be interested in your opinion, why do you think Burnham Week is now merely a shadow of the Burnham Week's of twenty years ago?

I find that there are always choices I can make in life, and I definitely prefer to deal with decent, straightforward 'nice' people.

I see little point in offering you my view about the undoubted demise of Burnham Week, as you'll come back and tell me that I'm wrong.

Last edited: