What Volvo Penta engine is this?

Princess35

Visit site
Hi Everybody.
I’ve been looking at a 1976 Fairline Phantom 32 with these Volvo Penta engines fitted.
What are they?
They are connected to a pair of outdrives.
Am I correct to assume that these engines are obsolete now and there’s no parts available anymore making the boat worthless.
Tbs Penton hook are trying to get £20k for the boat.
Many thanks

Attachments

• 5E4D411C-CAC1-4FC8-88F7-A5C562D19913.jpeg
    5E4D411C-CAC1-4FC8-88F7-A5C562D19913.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 68

SC35

Visit site
Edited: as below, AQD32
Service parts like filters and belts might still be available, many other parts most likely not.

But .. do they start and run smoothly without smoke or excessive crankcase pressure?
Is the coolant nice and clean?
Oil okay?
Outdrives?
What about the condition of the rest of the boat?

A drivetrain doesn't have zero value if it is still running well.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
At a guess 6 cylinder diesel from counting the injectors. ????

Good supplies of budget aftermarket servicing spares for those engines which never actually wear out but usually meet their end due failures in cooling systems etc because of neglect.
Would be more concerned with the outdrives of that vintage but again loads of spares and secondhand bits around.
Get somebody who knows about outdrives to have look.
If previous owners have loved and maintained that boat, there could be still years of life left, it would need to be purchased at the right price.
A receipt from a known reputable marine service company regards a recent service ( not two years ago) on outdrives would be a boon.

We do have a Sedan 32 on our moorings , skipper claims he can get approaching 30 knots on good day, the less said about his outdrives the better. :)

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
Hi Everybody.
I’ve been looking at a 1976 Fairline Phantom 32 with these Volvo Penta engines fitted.
What are they?
Am I correct to assume that these engines are obsolete now and there’s no parts available anymore making the boat worthless.
Many thanks
This boat has the same engine described as
Volvo Penta ADQ32 6 Cyl Diesels .
Princess 33 1979 Used Boat for Sale in Lancashire, United Kingdom

Parabordi

Visit site
was the 32 not a 4 cylinder ?
Engine AQD32A

Production period 1969-1977

Operation 4-stroke

Cylinder configuration 6

Bore (mm) 90

Stroke (mm) 83

Compression ratio 22.1:1

Displacement (litres) 3.17

Power (hp) 106

Max engine speed (rpm) 4000

Parabordi

Visit site
Engine AQD32A

Production period 1969-1977

Operation 4-stroke

Cylinder configuration 6

Bore (mm) 90

Stroke (mm) 83

Compression ratio 22.1:1

Displacement (litres) 3.17

Power (hp) 106

Max engine speed (rpm) 4000

I think i heard that parts are not that easy to come by for these engines

Divemaster1

Visit site
Hi Everybody.
What are they?
Many thanks
AQAD32 ... parts are not readily available ... Family friends bought same boat new with same engines in 1977 ... lasted a couple of years, weak cylinder head seal and boat did struggle to get up on the plane if you had anything heavy, such as a dinghy, near the stern... 12-13 knot cruise when new and around 17-18 knot max... Engines ripped out after second warped top and replaced with 40A's at 130Hp, which transformed the boat ... 40B's and duo props would be even better... by all means consider the boat, but do not put any value on engines...

Volvo Penta TMD40A 136hp Marine Engine used for sale - Boat Engine Inboard in Dorset, United Kingdom | Youboat UK

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Oops, regards spares was thinking it had "40" series engines. Need to be careful regards both outdrives and engines ?
There are Princess 33 on the market with shafts for not that much more money

Last edited:

spannerman

Visit site
These are originally Puegot engines, their weakness is the water jacket around the exhaust manifold. Its corrodes through and lets seawater run into the cylinders.

SC35

Visit site
Here’s the boat in question.
I went to view it today.
It is what it is. Old. Tired dated and needs work. But I’ve seen worse.
Still think it’s over priced even at £20k.
Thing is what is it really worth?

1976 Fairline Phantom 32

It's worth whatever somebody is prepared to pay for it, and the seller accepts.
How are similar boats priced?
What else could you get for £20K? Something a bit smaller but newer?

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Here’s the boat in question.
I went to view it today.
It is what it is. Old. Tired dated and needs work. But I’ve seen worse.
Still think it’s over priced even at £20k.
Thing is what is it really worth?

1976 Fairline Phantom 32

It's on the non-tidal river Thames so price is automatically higher. As a river boat it has value if the mechanics are in usable condition. It would make a decent family river boat and offers good accommodation. Whether the value is £20k is debatable, but of someone is prepared to pay it, then thats what its worth. Personally I wouldn't, but each to their own.

oldgit

Visit site
The Thames Valley does tend to attract a premium on prices simply due to affuence of the area, unfortunately some boats up there do tend to have a less than stellar maintainance history, probably due to the river bank never being more than a few metres away.
A lack of modern up to date navigation and communication kit on many boats can make them expensive buys as well.
Add a decent navigation system/ Radar and you can wave goodbye to another 5K to make the boat usable elsewhere.
On the other hand a good number of craft on sale in a small area, an early start could get you round a lot of Thames marinas in single day.